OVERLOAD really a well written game

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

Zarchos

OVERLOAD really a well written game

Postby Zarchos » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:17 am

I own it but never really played any Archie game (except Chocks Away, which I completed, including the Extra Missions, and I uploaded many videos on my YT channel), and seeing this video by Sirbod of Overload running on the Pi, I can only say this is a really great game, well written, with all the details showing it's been thought and coded a professional way.
Looks like running at 50 fps, to me, and I think it's the case on an ARM2 Archie too, without the tune playing.
I don't remember who the author(s), graphics artist(s) and musician(s) are but in one word : congrats !

Worth revisiting if you didn't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cn-I374W14

davidb

Re: OVERLOAD really a well written game

Postby davidb » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:33 am

There's an old review on Acorn Gaming.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 am

Zarchos wrote:Looks like running at 50 fps, to me, and I think it's the case on an ARM2 Archie too, without the tune playing.

It runs at 25 fps, it's unplayable at 50 fps! Mind you, the last level that I got to in the video, I ended up rage quitting in annoyance at how stupidly difficult it was...and pointless as those in-between levels don't cost you lives if you die :twisted:

I'll have to do another video as I meant to leave the tracker mod playing at the end...it's pretty good.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:28 am

sirbod wrote:
Zarchos wrote:Looks like running at 50 fps, to me, and I think it's the case on an ARM2 Archie too, without the tune playing.

It runs at 25 fps, it's unplayable at 50 fps! Mind you, the last level that I got to in the video, I ended up rage quitting in annoyance at how stupidly difficult it was...and pointless as those in-between levels don't cost you lives if you die :twisted:

I'll have to do another video as I meant to leave the tracker mod playing at the end...it's pretty good.

Ah ok.
The animations and even the scrollings looked very smooth.
A difficult game, then, if I read you correctly :wink: which might explain why I don't spend much time on these.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:41 pm

It is so psychedelic. The music in it is really good. Pumpin techno

fwibbler

Postby fwibbler » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:57 am

Ah yes, Paradise software. I remember them.
They also produced another great game called Inferno which is well worth looking out for. Its just as highly polished and also has some great music.
I cant remember if they also made another game as well.....anyone?
Cheers!

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:24 pm

fwibbler wrote:I cant remember if they also made another game as well.....anyone?

They released Inferno and Overload and there was an unreleased title Toybox Dreams, which also went under working titles of "Pocket Money" and "Colin and Suzie's Dreams", I'll see if I can track down the demo and record a video of it for posterity.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Yoyo Twins, which was also unreleased.

David1664

Postby David1664 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:27 pm

[OT] Jon, if you get a spare moment, would mind recording a video of yourself playing 'Kerbang!' by Eterna? I looked for videos of this game on YouTube and elsewhere, but couldn't find any. I read one or two reviews of it BITD which were somewhat less than positive, but yesterday I watched a YouTube video of a guy playing/reviewing 'Kaboom!' (the Atari original) which he seemed very enthusiastic about, describing it as one of the best games ever (yes, really!). I thought a BBC BASIC version of 'Kerbang!' (which is presumably very similar to 'Kaboom!') might give me something to do at work, during the lonely early hours...

My apologies to Xavier for temporarily derailing his thread :)

Regards,
David.
--

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 pm

David1664 wrote:[OT] Jon, if you get a spare moment, would mind recording a video of yourself playing 'Kerbang!'

It's Wimp based, which ADFFS doesn't currently support and as it directly accesses the Floppy Drive Controller via IOC it won't run under emulation either. Once I figure out how to support Wimp apps, I will certainly do a recording of it.

tautology

Postby tautology » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:42 pm

fwibbler wrote:I cant remember if they also made another game as well.....anyone?

It's the same team as behind Burn 'Out and a few other things. Ian (the coder) was a school friend of mine, though I've lost contact in the years since.

Return to “software”