POLL:Pick dates for Bletchley Computer Museum ABUG Meet Up

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events

Which dates could you make for Bletchley ABUG South meet?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:48 pm

July 18th/19th 2015
12%
August 1st/2nd 2015
21%
September 12th/13th 2015
26%
September 19th/20th 2015
26%
December 5th/6th 2015
14%

Total votes: 42

jbnbeeb

Re: POLL:Pick dates for Bletchley Computer Museum ABUG Mee

Postby jbnbeeb » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi,
I've heard back from TNMOC re a tentative date. As you can see below, this event won't be exclusive to Stardot. As soon as the date is confirmed, I'll let you know.

I think there is still scope for us to have some kind of Stardot/ABUG presence, perhaps with a table or 2 showing what we get up to?

If this sounds good, once the date is confirmed, I'll start a new thread and collate a list of those that want to attend, alongside skills and kit that people wish to bring...

You won’t need to be CRB checked or anything like that.

The plan at the moment is for the event to happen on Sunday 13th September. We have had interest from a number of people so we’re going to put up a booking website, so that anyone who wishes to attend can book their place.

I hope to have this all sorted out next week and send out an email to all interested persons to book their place.

I'm going to ..
ABUG North Halifax June 10-12

SimonSideburns

Postby SimonSideburns » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:41 pm

Having reached the age of 40 back in April 2013, my poor memory isn't what it used to be, so I am uncertain if I took part in the poll or not.

Having also recently checked my diary I believe I am free on that weekend (the 13th of September) so I could turn up.

I was taught to solder while at my first place of employment after leaving school between 1989 and 1991. This was while on YTS (remember them) at Marconi Defense Systems in Portsmouth. My trainer was an old bearded chap by the name of Henry Thorne. Back in those days, I was given an ORYX soldering iron (the one with the really loud click as the thermostat turned on and off) and soldering still used good old lead based solder. I was also given a couple of small hand tools - a pair of round nosed pliers and side cutters, and a solder sucker, all of which I still possess.

Unfortunately for me, my ORYX iron passed away only a couple of years ago (it really didn't get a lot of use) and I was kindly donated an old Weller station by a kind member on this forum. It's also not had a lot of use as at the time I didn't have an Iron to plug in to the station, but now I have and either the solder and irons are completely different to how they were back then, or my skills have deteriorated (it has to be the former, surely).

However, if someone points me at a component, dry joint or suchlike and says remove that, resolder that, etc. I can certainly do as I'm told.

I'm also very interested in learning a bit more fault finding, and electronics in general. I've often marvelled at even 'simple' circuits, wondering not so much why but how - how did the person building the circuit know that by placing those components together in a certain way that they would achieve their desired result. How did they even know what components to use. I am still young enough to learn something (hopefully) and an extra pair of hands surely can't go amiss.

I hope someone brings lead based solder though.

Therefore, please count me in. I'll even bring the wife. Be great to finally meet other members of the forum.

Edit: Can someone check with the museum as to what is needed for them to sign one up as a volunteer. Is this something permanent, or temporary just for the day. Living in Hampshire, it's just a bit too far to visit 'regularly' but once a year is probably about enough.
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

sPhilMainwaring

Postby sPhilMainwaring » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi jbn

Chris Monk left TNMOC at the end of July ... I'm volunteering there from 25th - 31st of July if you want any questions put forward :)

You not going to Bolton?

sPhilMainwaring

Postby sPhilMainwaring » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:49 pm

jbn

I'm at TNMOC right now ... I've been asked if you could PM me your e-mail address as any mail to Chris's account is no longer accessible. There is an event going ahead but there's only about 20 spaces apparently so they need a contact ASAP

Cheers :)

Phil

Return to “past events & exhibitions”