The ABUG attendee list is FULL
..but don't forget there is also an Acorn World exhibition at the museum on this weekend. And you can drop by as a visitor to meet people at the ABUG event in the classroom.
**Acorn World is an exhibition that will be taking place in the museum at the same time as the ABUG meet
see http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/43277/Acorn-World-Exhibition-13-14-May-2017/ for details**
*Entrance fee for weekend payable on arrival at museum (this was £8 last time. Will confirm soon)*[/color]
After a couple of phone calls and emails in November and December (and then being too busy or on holiday to get chance to do a write up...) I'm very chuffed to announce ....
An ABUG meet up once more at the Cambridge Centre for Computing History in May 2017!
This will take place in the "80s classroom" as per our first visit in August 2016. In parallel, there will be a display in the main museum area under the theme "Acorn World". This will be a series of stands, doubtless full of Acorn related kit.. the purpose of which will be to tell the story/history of Acorn throughout the company's life. Jason Fitzpatrick (who runs CCfCH) will also be attempting to invite some people who worked at Acorn to visit and give us a talk or two (no firm commitments on this yet, obviously depends on availability - I'll confirm as soon as I know).
I'll edit this post over coming weeks as I learn more, including the usual attendees lists etc.
For now, here's a write up about what I know so far re ABUG and the Acorn World display.
For the ABUG meet, the "itinerary" is pretty much the same as last year:
Friday 12th from 4pm til late.
For those who can come friday, come along and set up your kit in the 80s classroom.
Pizza night at the museum in the evening. Jason F is happy for us to stay til late as before.
Saturday 13th from 9.30 til late.
Any remaining peeps come along and set up your kit..and do our usual thing re hardware/software projects / demos / repairs etc.
For the evening - not sure yet.. there could be an Acorn talk or two. For evening meal, not sure whether we'll be eating in at the centre or eleswhere yet.
Sunday 14th from 9.30am til 4.30pm
Carry on with our projects etc and pack up by 4.30ish
Planning is underway.
Acorn World will be an exhibit that tells the story and illustrates the history of Acorn throughout it's life. Alongside copmany history, there will be themes such as education, games , ARM legacy and retro software/hardware (mostly the work of Stardot people here - assuming they're happy to have their work on display). Besides all the computers and ephemera of the day like magazine articles, adverts etc, a key exhibit will be the Valiant Turtle which members of the public will be able to play with via Logo.
More to come on this, but in the meantime, the event is now on the What's On section of the museum website here http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/43277/Acorn-World-Exhibition-13-14-May-2017/
OK. That's it for now. I'll be updating the thread over coming weeks. Thanks for reading!
Centre for Computing History
There is limited parking: space for up to 30 vehicles.. so if large numbers of the public turn up to the museum , we may need to move our vehicles elsewhere during the day. We can leave our cars there overnight (at own risk). They lock gates overnight.
I'll add to this if I get more info from peeps who went last year.
Oakley Lodge hotel
627-631 Newmarket Rd, Cambridge CB5 8PA
..some folks stayed here last year. It's just over a mile away from the museum.
Travelodge Cambridge Newmarket Road Hotel
180-190 Newmarket Road
..I and several others stayed here last year. It's 10 mins walk from the museum. That's about the only thing good I can say about it. Clean but sub par breakfast and rooms were very hot in August. Parking is an extra fee here.
1. jbnbeeb (Jason). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
2. kieranjh (Kieran). Arriving Saturday, leaving Sunday afternoon.
3. IanS (Ian). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
4. tricky (Richard). Arriving Saturday, leaving Sunday afternoon.
5. SarahWalker (Sarah). Arriving Saturday, leaving Sunday afternoon.
6. sydney (Simon).Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
7. Dave Footitt (Dave). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
8. z0m8ied0g (Stephen). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
9. flibble (Peter). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
10. daveejhitchens (Dave). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
11. lazarusr (Robert). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
12. flynnjs (Jason). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
13. mattyj (Matthew). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
14. Arcadian (Dave). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
15. sbadger (Stewart). Arriving Saturday, leaving Sunday afternoon.
16. pau1ie (Paul). Arriving Saturday Leaving Sunday
17. bitstik (Andrew). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
18. sixxdog_uk (Alex). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon
19. BigEd (Ed). Sunday only
20. philmanwaring? (Phil)Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon
21. dp11 (Dominic) Arriving Saturday, leaving Sunday afternoon.
22. jgharston (jonathan) Arriving Saturday, leaving Sunday afternoon.
23. Prime (Phill) Arriving Friday, leaving Sunday afternoon.
24. MattH (Matthew)Arriving Saturday, leaving Sunday afternoon.
25. JimRussell (Jim)Arriving Friday, leaving Sunday afternoon.
If anyone in list above can't attend, people in list below will be moved to Attendee list in the order that post appeared in thread
1. ThomasAdam .