ABug South - at Centre for Computing History, Cambridge August 26-28 2016

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
jbnbeeb

ABug South - at Centre for Computing History, Cambridge August 26-28 2016

Postby jbnbeeb » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi,
After a little bit of to-ing and fro-ing, I'm very chuffed to announce an ABUG South meet up for August 2016!

Phil M and I have recently been in touch with the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge. The great news is that they're very happy to host us from Friday evening of August 26th until Sunday August 28th.

Their website is here: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/

The intention is the format of this meetup should be much the same as the ABUGs up north.. and so..

Itinerary

This ABUG is to have an Atom focus - not least because we'll be having Kees visiting us from the Netherlands! That said, it is by no means exclusive - whatever projects on whatever Acorn hardware or software you wish to work on - ABUGs are pretty loose affairs :)

Friday 26th from 4pm
- for those that want to stay over two nights, come down and set your kit up. Around 7-8ish head off to pub or restaurant for a bite to eat.

Saturday 27th from 10am til late
- Set up and work on projects, be it hardware or software and doubtless some games playing here and there
- head off for a meal and drink or two around 6-7 ish and then back to the museum for more Acorn hackery till late

Sunday 28th - 10am til 5pm
..more of the same and then pack up!

What is the cost?
The museum will charge just £8 for entry to the entire event. This would be payable on the day you arrive at the museum. This is a bargain, and so if anyone is inclined to donate a little more, I'm sure it will be welcomed.

What is the address?
Centre for Computing History
Rene Court
Coldhams Road
Cambridge
CB1 3EW

Are there hotels nearby?
Yes but many seem to be quite expensive. That said, cheaper ones about 4-5 miles away from the venue can be found.

Bonus bits
Meantime, of course there will be the chance to go take a look around the museum. As a bonus, Jason F has said that after the museum closes, we'll all be invited to take a look at their storage area. They have tonnes of kit and software that isn't yet on display to the public - including lotsof Acorn kit. This is like an aladdin's cave for retro computing fans - I know cos I was invited to take a look when I went last year :)

Request for help
This is by no means mandatory, but the museum would be very grateful if any of us could take a look at their Acorn Atoms which aren't working. Additionally, there is a never ending inventory, and so they'd love it if any of us would be happy to catalogue a few items for their website.

Details about the room
..of course, things are a little different than the Halifax meetups. The area that the museum have kindly let us use is actually their "classroom of the 80s" room. Pictures here: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/pages/40584/Outreach-Visiting-Your-School-Basic-Programming/

They will be happy to move Beebs from the tables so that we can place our own kit on the tables and work on projects. NOTE, this area will be open to the public during the day 9-5. It is actually a walkthrough area in to the main part of the museum. If people are interested in what we're up to, I'm sure we'd be happy to show them our myriad projects and retro kit. I've raised the matter of perhaps needing to keep soldering irons out of the way. Soldering irons,scopes etc will be fine to bring along - the museum has frequently hosted events similar to this before. I've not got details on how we should set that up given public access, but I expect something sensible like setting up soldering "stations" with scopes etc at the back of the room well away from the main walkway to the main room.

Whew! More words than I meant to write, but I guess there was a fair bit to say. I'll put a Confirmed and Tentative list below as usual. I'll post a couple of links to hotels too.

Confirmed [People bringing kit] - 22 max FULL! <*though we have 1 /possibly 2 spaces Sunday only>
1. jbnbeeb (Jason). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
2. lazarusr (Robert). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
3. daveejhitchens (Dave). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT (+other half)
4. oss003 (Kees). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
5. flaxcottage (Jon). Attending on Saturday
6. BigEd. (Ed). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
7. Prime (Phill). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT (+other half)
8. Multiwizard (Wim). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
9. sydney (Simon). Arriving Friday afternoon(?), leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
10. kieranhj (Kieran). Saturday. Possibly Sunday.YES FOR RESTAURANT
11. sPhilMainwaring (Phil). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
12. sixxdog_uk (Alex). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
13. hoglet (Dave). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
14. flynnjs (Jason). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
15. flibble (Peter). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
16. tricky (Richard). Arriving Saturday leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
17. IanS (Ian). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
18. mattyj (Matthew). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
19. JimRussell (Jim). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, , YES FOR RESTAURANT
20. Arcadian (Dave). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
21. Bagpuss (Andy). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon. (kit/no kit to be confirmed)
22. jgharston (Jonathan). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon

Confirmed [People NOT bringing kit] - 5 max FULL!
1. SarahWalker (Sarah).Arriving Saturday, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
2. helpful (Bryan). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon, YES FOR RESTAURANT
3. oswrch (Mark). Arriving Sunday
4. nudelooney (Kris). Arriving/leaving Saturday
5. paul1ie (?). Arriving/leaving Saturday
6. sirmorris (Charlie). Full weekend, YES FOR RESTAURANT
.. squeezed in a 6th as two people are Saturday only and one is Sunday only

List of requests for the CCfCH
- Request to search the attic for "Missing in Action (MIA)" software titles for Acorn machines - and to archive and catalogue these items. Archiving meaning taking a dump of files on tape or disk for storing on the bbcmicro.co.uk website as well as cataloguing for the Centre.
- A request to take a number of software titles offsite (borrow) for archiving and return them by post by an acceptable time thereafter.
- A request to take a dump of a ROM in one of the Centre BBC Micros (an MIA version of Opus DOS)
- Several people have offered to catalogue items for the Centre

Cheers everyone :)
Jason
Last edited by jbnbeeb on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 38 times in total.
I'm going to ..
ABUG North Halifax June 10-12

sydney

Re: ABUG South - at Centre for Computing History, Cambridge August 26-28 2016

Postby sydney » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:37 pm

Well done Jason and Phil, I know how hard you've been working on this and I'm sure it'll be a great success.
I'll be there with my beeb and master unless someone wants to sell me a cheap atom!
Since it's in August I may be tempted to camp if there are any camp sites nearby. Off to google it now!

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:45 pm

Sounds like a great idea. I should like to visit, definitely.

One thing I should like to do is archive some of their educational software, especially their science software. In return I can offer a copy of my own archive and help with cataloguing their educational software. I can bring my own archiving kit too. :D
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

oss003

Postby oss003 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:01 pm

Ok Phil and Jason, great news .. =D> =D>
See you all in August ...

Greetings
Kees

sPhilMainwaring

Postby sPhilMainwaring » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi Jason ... I saw your e-mail too ... did Jason confirm? !

My plans are (depending on relevant bods attending) :P

1. Demo / installation for Jason FP of telephone / acoustic coupler / etc.
2. Econet network of BBC, Electron, Master, Arc and Atom (Jason F has Atom Econet boards from Australia!) JGH do you have a ROM / Disassembly of ATOM Econet ROM?
3. Econet Line Sniffer (FlynnJS attending?)
4. Valiant Turtle from Raspberry Pi
5. FPGA Beeb and Atom (FlynnJS & Hoglet attending?)
6. Calculator sim development

:-)

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:29 pm

Phil, Jason F replied "yes to all"..I'll contact him soon regarding details like max capacity, where we should set up soldering stations and confirming Friday start time
I'm going to ..

sPhilMainwaring

Postby sPhilMainwaring » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:34 pm

Jason N ... yup I saw the "Yes to all" e-mail ... I was wondering about the minutia :)

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:40 pm

Yep there's bits to be confirmed like I mentioned in previous post. I'll update here and mail you once I've called him.
I'm going to ..

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:23 pm

I'll be there.
I have a torch system which I was given that I can't get working, it feels close; any help appreciated.
I'm sure I'll have another software project by then, and love to talk about any kind of coding, especially beeb 6502.
I have more kit to fix than will fit in the car, so if anyone feels inclined, I could bring some of that.
I don't have an atom, but I will keep my eye out for one ;)

Prime

Postby Prime » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:37 pm

I'm in,

Perfectly willing to look at some of the Atoms, I have the Atom Econet ROM (I think there is a copy on mdfs.net), could bring along the System Clone too.

Cheers.

Phill.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:40 pm

Well done Jason et al - count me in for the first ever "Keesmeet" in the South! :)
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug Leicestershire (17-19 November 2017)

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:53 am

I can also bring an Econet if it is needed. :D
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:12 am

Just entered the dates into the family calendar. Now to look for a caravan site . . . Myself and Mrs H. will be there :D

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

tricky

Postby tricky » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:04 am

I don't mind recapping a few beebs if that is something that they want.

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:43 am

daveejhitchins wrote:Just entered the dates into the family calendar. Now to look for a caravan site . . . Myself and Mrs H. will be there :D

Dave H :D

I've found a campsite, just need a tent now! :lol:
My brother in law offered me his old one as he's upgraded to a camper van so I should be ok. Might even be able to share if it's as big as I think it is so if anyone fancies roughing it for a couple of days in August let me know

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:18 am

There are rooms in colleges from £46 per night, and AirBnB rooms from £35 or so.
http://universityrooms.com/en/city/camb ... ooms/local
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/explore/cambri ... y-friendly

I might try to get to this one.

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Great stuff! Count me in.

I don't really know anything about Atoms, but would be very keen to learn.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:53 pm

Yes, there's Atom ROMs at http://mdfs.net/System/ROMs/AcornMOS/Atom including Atom Econet. I did start a disassembly somewhere.

Torch repairing was mentioned - I could bring my Torch to join the repair party. ;)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi everyone,

Just spoken with the museum - I've made a minor amendment to the first post. Start time on sat /sun is 10am rather than 9 (my mistake). This is when the museum opens.

They're fine with soldering irons etc being present - just as well :) They've hosted electronics events before as I say.

SO.. thanks all to have posted registering interest. Please can you all PM me or post on this thread what days you will be attending. See first post re dates/start /finish times.

Jason
PS I've asked them to let me know about Acorn stuff they might want us to take a look at besides Atoms. I've also relayed Jon's interest in education software archival - they're definitely up for assistance with that Jon!
I'm going to ..

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Should be there Saturday definitely and probably Sunday too. :D
- John

helpful

Postby helpful » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:36 am

Excellent organising job Jason :-)

I'll definitely be there on the Saturday, and probably for the whole Friday-Sunday. However my hardware skills are very limited, but willing to learn or just help carry/catalogue stuff!

jbnbeeb wrote:I've asked them to let me know about Acorn stuff they might want us to take a look at besides Atoms.

Might be a chance to get some test equipment on the Phoebe and see if it can be brought back to life.

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:19 am

I can confirm I'll be there for the three days. I don't know what I'll be doing, but meeting and chatting will be part of it, perhaps most of it. Rich (cocreater of beeb816) is keen to come too. Our beeb816 boards don't work any more - just possibly trying to get them working would be a plan. Or playing with FPGAs or Pis in some form or another. I don't have any Atom hardware or knowledge.

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Yes,,, I've booked the flight and hotel, up to Cambridge... \:D/

Me: Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon... 8)

Greetings, Wim... :-)

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Excellent news Wim! I'll add you to the list :)
I'm going to ..

sydney

Postby sydney » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:13 am

You need to add me to the confirmed list Jason.

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:31 am

I will definitely come along all day Saturday, so you will have someone to talk 6502 Beeb coding with, Tricky! (I might have even finished my demo by then...) With it being Bank Holiday weekend, I'm not sure if I can stay into Sunday but will figure it out nearer the time.

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:20 am

Added sydney and kieranhj to list.

Simon- do you know which days you'll be coming along?

kieranhj - take it your first name is kieran :P ?
I'm going to ..

sydney

Postby sydney » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:25 pm

All of them!

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Jason,

Please add me to the confirmed list, for all the days.

Dave

IanS

Postby IanS » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:07 pm

Is there a limit on numbers? I'd like to go, but I can't confirm my attendance just yet.

Return to “past events & exhibitions”