Proposal: ABUG London and International

meet fellow forum members at these classic gaming/computing events
lazarusr

Re: Proposal: ABUG London and International

Postby lazarusr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:35 pm

There were two things I had hoped to achieve. One was to find a venue that is more readily accessible to those of a more southerly or western disposition. Basingstoke clearly fits that bill.

However, I had originally suggested Heathrow in the hope of achieving my second aim, namely attracting some overseas visitors to the meet up. So far, no one outside this sceptred isle has commented on the venue. If there isn't any overseas interest, then Basingstoke is probably the better choice. I am mindful of the possibility that whilst there are many venues around Heathrow, they could all be rather expensive.

We are awaiting a response from the venue identified by Arcadian (he has recently chased them up). I am off work the week after next. So hopefully I will have some time to check it out. Then I will report back and check that everyone is happy with Basingstoke as a venue for Spring 2018.

helpful

Postby helpful » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:51 am

sixxdog_uk wrote:I'm a but of an ABUG slut and will go anywhere , so count me in. :)

Yeah, any excuse to whip your kit out for other people to play with :-D
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

sixxdog_uk

Postby sixxdog_uk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:14 am

helpful wrote:
sixxdog_uk wrote:I'm a but of an ABUG slut and will go anywhere , so count me in. :)

Yeah, any excuse to whip your kit out for other people to play with :-D

:lol: =D> =D>

sixxdog_uk

Postby sixxdog_uk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 am

lazarusr wrote:There were two things I had hoped to achieve. One was to find a venue that is more readily accessible to those of a more southerly or western disposition. Basingstoke clearly fits that bill.

However, I had originally suggested Heathrow in the hope of achieving my second aim, namely attracting some overseas visitors to the meet up. So far, no one outside this sceptred isle has commented on the venue. If there isn't any overseas interest, then Basingstoke is probably the better choice. I am mindful of the possibility that whilst there are many venues around Heathrow, they could all be rather expensive.

We are awaiting a response from the venue identified by Arcadian (he has recently chased them up). I am off work the week after next. So hopefully I will have some time to check it out. Then I will report back and check that everyone is happy with Basingstoke as a venue for Spring 2018.

Robert , East Midlands Airport has been growing exponentially over recent years and now offers good links to most of Europe and some destinations beyond. So maybe I could encourage some of our overseas members to take the trip to rainy England.

Between us we'll drag 'em over ;)

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:51 pm

I went to visit the Basingstoke Country Hotel today. https://www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/ ... ntry-hotel.
Google Maps

it seems to be a pretty good venue. We will have access to a much larger room than we normally have, so there shouldn't be an issue with our having to limit numbers or space for hardware. Importantly, they will also work within our limited budget.

It is immediately by Junction 5 of the M3. There is ample parking - with level access directly into the meeting room. It is nearby to Hook and Basingstoke stations, and it shouldn't be too difficult to collect people who are coming by train.

There is a bar which is open from 9am to 1am. They serve a small menu of basic pub fayre. There is also a bistro which is probably trying to be too fancy for its own good. I tried one of the burgers - nothing to set the world alight, but edible nonetheless.

There are, apparently, some good curry houses nearby.

I attach some photos I took today:
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG

One of the bedrooms:
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG

The restaurant:
IMG_0116.JPG

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:56 pm

A burger:
IMG_0123.JPG

The bar:
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG

The bar menu:
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG

The bistro menu:
IMG_0122.JPG

As you can see, they have very fast internet. It is free in the bar and lobby but £7 a day elsewhere (including the meeting room). I will see if I can agree some sort of deal.
IMG_0124.PNG

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:59 pm

I plan to book some dates in the next few days unless people have any concerns about this venue or the location generally. The dates I am looking at are 16 to 18 March 2018.

Please let me know if you have any comments or concerns.

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks for going to visit Robert, sorry I couldn't tag along. Venue looks good to me so thumbs up. As said before, happy to help organise in any way as only 30 mins drive for me.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:13 am

lazarusr wrote:I plan to book some dates in the next few days unless people have any concerns about this venue or the location generally. The dates I am looking at are 16 to 18 March 2018.

Please let me know if you have any comments or concerns.

Dates and location fine with me :D

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:05 am

Sadly, at the last minute, the Basingstoke Country Hotel changed their mind and decided they wanted to charge something that was way beyond our budget and they weren't prepared to negotiate. :evil:

I am going to look for alternative venues. I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions. Doesn't have to be in Basingstoke ( :!: ). Just somewhere that is accessible to people from the South and the West (without being a nightmare for the rest of the country).

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:00 am

Hi lazarusr,

Thanks for your efforts and investigation! I haven't got much to add other than to empathise with how frustrating must be for you to have took the time to visit etc and then the venue change their minds on pricing! Had they been upfront with their fee, you wouldn't have wasted your time. Sounds like they suddenly got a bit greedy..but in the end have lost out.
I'm going to ..
ABUG North Halifax June 10-12

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Hmmm, BigEd posted a link to the map of computer museums in another thread and I saw there is a Museum of Computing in Swindon, of all places: http://www.museumofcomputing.org.uk/.

OK, it's getting further away from London but definitely south (west-ish.) I wonder if they have a spare room large enough and would be happy for us to be a "living exhibit" for a weekend?
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:17 pm

kieranhj wrote:Hmmm, BigEd posted a link to the map of computer museums in another thread and I saw there is a Museum of Computing in Swindon, of all places: http://www.museumofcomputing.org.uk/.

OK, it's getting further away from London but definitely south (west-ish.) I wonder if they have a spare room large enough and would be happy for us to be a "living exhibit" for a weekend?

Thanks.

Work has gone a bit crazy at the moment. But when things settle down a bit, I'll check them out and see about looking for some other venues too. Having said that, looking at the few photos on their website, they do look awfully small.

paulb

Postby paulb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 pm

Oxford isn't that far away from Basingstoke on the map, although it being in The South, I accept that it could still be hours away in the car. :wink:

Nevertheless, I heard that it's a bit quicker to access from London these days, and there could be some half-decent venues in the vicinity, although it's been a while since I was in that area and needing to stay in such places. Are there any boots on the ground in that part of the world?

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:04 am

Oxford is nice although last time I was there they were ripping up the entire city centre as part of a new long-term transport plan. Also it seemed very hard to get anywhere near in a car with the general suggestion that people should use one of the numerous park & ride schemes. That being said we probably wouldn't want to be all the way in the centre anyway.

gebes

Postby gebes » Tue May 23, 2017 11:44 pm

I know it's maybe not the same as a dedicated meet, but would it be a consideration to take some table space at the likes of Play Expo? The organiser also has a big film and tv event held in the Olympia over 3 days in July, where there is a retro area. They usually have some basic machines of various era, but would be good to display to a wider audience just what our machines are actually capable of, as well as be a location for everyone to meetup at?

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:54 pm

Official thread is now here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14128

crj

Postby crj » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:11 am

I was really unimpressed by the restaurant, until I realised captions were above photos, not below...

Return to “upcoming and recent events & exhibitions”