RISC OS (+ABug!) London Show / Sat 24th Oct 2015

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
lazarusr

Re: RISC OS (+ABug!) London Show / Sat 24th Oct 2015

Postby lazarusr » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Likewise.

And the talk from Paul Fellows was a joy.

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:12 pm

Here are a few photos, sorry they are a bit big, buy can't edit them on the phone.
IMG_20151024_162843.jpg
IMG_20151024_150355.jpg
IMG_20151024_162823.jpg
IMG_20151024_162833.jpg

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks for the photos !

More infos more than welcomed !
1 caramel mou et un fromage qui pue à celui qui saura me dire ce que c'est que cet avatar. Jeu interdit aux Français évidemment. :wink:

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:20 pm

It was a great day, all ten of my beebs survived the day, one lost its mmc as it warmed up, but pulling the micro sd out of the adapter and re-inserting fix it. We kept alternating the games and I talked the ears of anyone who stood still long enough. ;)
A few people who I spoke to said that they had piles of software from BITD, games, commercial and educational. If I get them, I will add any mia ones I come across.
Thanks to the organisers for inviting me and thanks to all the people I spoke to for making the days so tiring ;)

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:24 pm

Great !

Any news of the unnamed and now named CJE RISC OS machine ?
Did you see Jonathan Abbott and the Archie games running on Cortex based systems ?
1 caramel mou et un fromage qui pue à celui qui saura me dire ce que c'est que cet avatar. Jeu interdit aux Français évidemment. :wink:

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:32 pm

I did talk to someone called Abbott, but my memory can't hold names or faces and those RISC OS things have far too many bits for my liking ;)

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:34 pm

tricky wrote:I did talk to someone called Abbott, but my memory can't hold names or faces and those RISC OS things have far too many bits for my liking ;)

:lol:

RobC

Postby RobC » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:02 pm

Zarchos wrote:Any news of the unnamed and now named CJE RISC OS machine ?

I saw a flier and I think it's called Rapido ig (or something like that)...

I also saw the Titanium board which looked very good - no price yet though.

EDIT: Have now found the flier - the IGEPv5 based machine is called the RapidO Ig PC. CJE will also be offering a Titanium based machine, called the RapidO Ti PC, for "<£1000".

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:13 am

Hi,
had a great time yesterday hosting the retrosoftware and ABUG Hi score tables, with assistance from my other half.

A big thankyou to Tricky in bringing his lovely MMC'd Beebs with screens which ably populated the RS table, Hi score table and Tricky's Arcade!

Jon (flaxcottage) brought along Masters and Raspberry Pis and an Arc to display his Econet'ed array of education titles. Good to see Mark come along to represent the Ipswich Posse! And it was good to finally meet RobC and have a good chinwag about homebrew Beeb game coding :)

For the Hi score table, we ran Chuckie Egg and Acornsoft Monsters. The former was a bit of a schoolboy error; Flibble (Peter) OWNED the high score table with something like 253,000 points.. so he walked away with his prize of a box of chocolates, as did Kevin for his score of 11,580 on Monsters.

I took the chance to wander around the show and did take a few pics. 3rdevent.net continue to amaze with their music tracker /sequencer software. Coded from scratch, this originally ran on an Acorn A3000/A3010. Disatisfied with any regular OS regarding tight timing for his music software needs, the tracker runs from "bare metal" . In the last year, the software has been ported from the A3000 to run on a more modern ARM platform. In doing so, the author has decoupled the hardware dependencies the code and upgraded features to take advantage of faster CPU/more RAM etc. The code currently weighs in at a mere 400k, and runs like lightning. I really hope 3rd event turn this is in to a commercial product; it is aimed at dance music producer/djs, particularly in live Club environments. As the software is so efficiently written, and with no large general purpose OS in the way, it doesn't place high demands on hardware, and thus doesn't create heat issues. This is a real issue for club DJs with lap tops, Ipads etc which are often prone to overheating and thus failing at gigs. This software could solve that problem and run on cheap generic ARM tablets. Nicely done guys!

Other RISCy stands that caught my eye : Flibble and Matt's rpcemu emulator software, which is now able to emulate the Pheobe! One chap had various robot arms and a home made 3d printer up and running, driven by ARM based machines; I wasn't sure exactly which h/w or OS. And there was TwitBeeb, which used a terminal emulator on the Beeb to talk to a RaspberryPi, which sent on the Tweets that were being typed on the Beeb itself. The PRISMA 3 was on show, but sadly there didn't seem to be a demo that showed off it's full capabilities.

Finally, the talk by Paul Fellows was excellent. Originally the team lead for the Acornsoft Languages group, his team then expanded and went on to write Arthur and subsequently RISC OS. He took us all through this journey in his talk to an enraptured audience. It was good to hear about the software side of the Archimedes / ARM story, having been to talks by Sophie Wilson and seen Youtube footage of Steve Furber.

Some photos ...
Attachments
20151024_155235.jpg
Tricky's Arcade.. with a very impressive pic showing off his palette switching per scanline routines that have been discussed on Stardot threads recently.
20151024_155128.jpg
3rd event with their very impressive AMCS music tracker software running on modern ARM h/w and an A3010(?)
20151024_155035.jpg
A lovely MUSIC 5000 setup which was sounding good on the day. AMPLE baffles me as much now as it did then though!
20151024_154955.jpg
Then we have (I think) Jon Abbott's Archimdes and RISC PC Arcade display.
20151024_154926.jpg
Robot arms running on (unknown ARM hw) and a home made 3d printer!
20151024_154918.jpg
PRISMA 3 hardware on show as used by the BBC for the National Lottery and other programmes back in the day. Sadly the demo on display didn't show off the hardware at it's best.

Then we have Flaxcottage next to his education display, and a nice chap called Trev.
20151024_154901.jpg
Then ABUG hi-score display , with Acornsoft Monsters alongside the prize of a box of Roses.
20151024_154758.jpg
Retro Software stand, from the left: Castle Raider, Mountain Panic and a tech demo of a game I'm working on..
20151024_155732.jpg
RISC OS Open group have been updating vast amounts of technical documentation.. and this manual here I presume.
20151024_155657.jpg
Finally, we have TwitBeeb.. with some amusing messages :)
I'm going to ..
ABUG North Halifax June 10-12

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:26 am

Thanks a lot for reporting all these infos !

davidb

Postby davidb » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks for the reports and pictures! :D

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Zarchos wrote:Did you see Jonathan Abbott and the Archie games running on Cortex based systems ?

We had a few games running on the Pi2, projected onto the wall, whilst I developed Pi2 support live.

Off the top of my head, the following were running on the Pi2 at some point: Conqueror, Manchester United Europe, Nebulus, Rockfall

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:09 pm

Great.

I can see you posted some infos and pictures on your website :
http://forums.jaspp.org.uk:9000/forum/v ... 502f#p1915

(I even think I recognize the lad behind the black screen, picture #2 ;-) )

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:48 am

Zarchos wrote:I can see you posted some infos and pictures on your website.

(I even think I recognize the lad behind the black screen, picture #2 ;-) )

Wish I'd taken more, only managed three during quiet periods. My brother and son who were helping out both took photos, none of our area though. It was a good day and I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people who were using ADFFS on the Pi.

You should indeed recognise that man! Steve was with us all day and brought his A4 and GBS-8200 along. We had the A4 on the projector at one point, running RasterMan which Steve and I discussed in detail, as I wanted to understand what was needed to get it running on the Pi. With a slight tweak to the blitter and a per raster mouse cursor blit, I believe it will work...and if it will display that, just about any demoscene demo should work :D

Steve also tried the GBS-8200 on the Iyonix to see if would sort out its video output issues, sadly not, although we believe it may just needed a modified cable to get the sync on the correct pin. We had a similar issue with getting the A4 to output to a CRT, using a cable we found on the charity stand; again we believe it was the sync being on the wrong pin.

Steve also fired up his modified version of a 6502 emulator on the Iyonix, to see if his blitter solved the aspect ratio issue I was having with mine. His worked perfectly, so I now know what needs changing to get all legacy modes displaying correctly on the Iyonix, I'm going to roll that into the next release of ADFFS, as it will be the first release to support the machine. Ironically, I had originally implemented it as Steve did for the Pi, but turned it off for the Iynoix prior to the show! #-o

A very useful and productive day in all, hopefully people enjoyed the games. It was interesting to see who played which, the children mainly played Lemmings, Fire & Ice and Magic Pockets; the adults Pac-mania, Zarch and Spheres of Chaos - with some impressive scores as well. SWIV and Ego: Repton 4 barely got a look in and the controls on The Last Night just frustrated everyone that tried it!

I spotted quite a few people looking around the back of the Pi LCD's, obviously curious at how I'd velcro'd the Pi, USB hub and speakers to the back to conceal them. I was rather chuffed at how they turned out, my son even laid claim to one when we got back, so he could code in his bedroom.

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:14 pm

PRISMA 3 hardware on show as used by the BBC for the National Lottery and other programmes back in the day. Sadly the demo on display didn't show off the hardware at it's best.

Yes, sorry we couldn't do much better than this. We were very short on time and didn't have any other programs to look at - just the manual that I had scanned in and shared on another thread. My brother wrote a crude but functional sprite conversion / render system from nothing over a couple of days so the re-housed ex-BBC box at least displayed something. When we picked it up, it came as a 'pile of hardware' so to speak. Half the time was spent trying to get it up and running on a system with (what turned out to be) a faulty IDE card - hence a rather expensive ebay purchase to get an IDE system in the Arc in time. (The old one kept corrupting the CF cards, lots of broken directories. It worked fine on the Baildon Electronics card we aquired though!)

We did have visions of getting far more up and running using the same original techniques the BBC would have used with it, but we couldn't get our heads around the palette system or how to shift things around in memory, so sadly we did not achieve this.

Thankfully, IanB has sent some BBC Master software, and I now have a CoPro for the BBC Master, so hopefully we can get that, and more up and running for perhaps another showing next year if there's interest. Sorry it wasn't a better display!

At least our Ample and Clef BBC synthesisers were more hands on / functional (even if the CF card on the Ample kit corrupted and meant we couldn't play our big library of Music 500 / 5000 disks!).

I've added a couple of photos below.

Paul.
Attachments
IMG_8677.JPG
The RISC DJ stand, updated to fix Page Zero, etc.
IMG_8695.JPG
The two BBC Computer Synthesisers - Hybrid / CLEF.
IMG_8664.JPG
My Dad playing on the CLEF BBC Micro Synthesiser.
IMG_8697.JPG
The CLEF Music Synthesiser for the BBC Micro
IMG_8701.JPG
Music 5000 system using Retro Clinics excellent Ample conversion kit and Data Centre.
IMG_8699.JPG
Our ex-BBC Prisma 3 system showing our quickly written COW animation (Computer Originated World). Zoom in tocan see BBC logo on the Archimedes made with soldering iron, and Lottery Timer F key strip.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:43 pm

Videos now online on Youtube :
https://www.youtube.com/user/lptw1/videos

Thank you Leo White !

helpful

Postby helpful » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:21 pm

A slightly belated thankyou to all the visitors, exhibitors, helpers and developers who made it such a great show :-)

jbnbeeb wrote:had a great time

Hooray!

For the Hi score table, we ran Chuckie Egg and Acornsoft Monsters

Bler, two platform games :-( Could have had Arcadians or Planetoid on there!

Flibble and Matt's rpcemu emulator software, which is now able to emulate the Pheobe!

If you'd been at the show in 2013 you could have seen the real thing working.

One chap had various robot arms and a home made 3d printer up and running, driven by ARM based machines; I wasn't sure exactly which h/w or OS.

Neil Fazakerly's Riscy Robots. All using Raspberry Pi's running RISC OS, with code in BBC BASIC and bits of ARM assembler where required.

Finally, the talk by Paul Fellows was excellent. Originally the team lead for the Acornsoft Languages group, his team then expanded and went on to write Arthur and subsequently RISC OS. He took us all through this journey in his talk to an enraptured audience. It was good to hear about the software side of the Archimedes / ARM story, having been to talks by Sophie Wilson and seen Youtube footage of Steve Furber.

Of course all three of those have previously given talks at ROUGOL :-)

The transcript of the longer version of Paul Fellows' talk is here - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/meeting ... index.html
And a transcript of one of Steve Furber's talks is here - http://www.4corn.co.uk/articles/sfatvcs/

Same again next year? ;-)

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:54 pm

Paul wrote:(The old one kept corrupting the CF cards, lots of broken directories. It worked fine on the Baildon Electronics card we aquired though!)
=D>

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:29 am

Dave, is that one your card? Any chance of another production run, I could do with another two :D

BTW, really enjoyed this years RISCOS Show. Lots of fun, looking forward to next years one! Good work Bryan and team!

Paul.

flibble

Postby flibble » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:54 pm

A few more show photos

http://home.marutan.net/~peter/subsite/ ... on%20Show/

I've not been able to eat the prize for the chuckie egg competition yet, my toothache ended in it being yanked out today. :cry:

Return to “past events & exhibitions”