So many missing businnes and educational titles.

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
dmckeran

Re: So many missing businnes and educational titles.

Postby dmckeran » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:49 pm

Some of the educational software from the very early days was truly awful. There was a clamor from publishers of educational textbooks to get in on computers in schools, and the way they saw it, they thought they had better translate what was in the books to the screen. I believe what they wanted was to get an endorsement from various local education authorities so they could supply bulk quantities to schools. And the software was nearly all 'what is 5 + 6 + 12..... your answer is?'

Some of the better things were promoted by the Microelctronics Education Programme, and these were things like LOGO for schools, or simple word processor programmes that made use of weird bits of hardware such as Microwriters. Very few programs engaged children in the way they would do later on. There was some kind of pirates program called Galleon, and a type of adventure program called Granny's Garden which were a bit of a hit.

The other thing you need to bear in mind was that hardware was very expensive, so schools had to spend wisely. The Government was supporting three machines - The BBC Micro, The Research Machines RM80 (?) and the Sinclair Spectrum (?), and there was grants available to help with purchases, but only on these chosen three. To get in on the act, publishers needed to write their software with versions for all three computers, and very few did it properly. I think Heineman managed it with very drab and dry 'lesson' programs covering topics in Mathematics, Physics, and Biology etc. Essentially translations of the written page.

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:10 am

Longman was a publisher active in the early days and their software was top notch. Unfortunately most of their titles are MIA.

I contacted Longman a couple of years ago and they had no records of their past BBC catalogue and the team that produced it have either retired or been transferred to USA.

I have a few titles in my archive. These include Dynamic Modelling Systems, Ecce Romani, Hill Railway, The Black Death and Warwick Science Simulations - Biology Pack 1. If anyone has any other titles from Longman that they could archive I'd be very happy to receive them. [-o<
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

dmckeran

Postby dmckeran » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:03 am

Hello again. Just read your recent post and I think I must be getting the names mixed-up. Heineman/Longman... Longman sounds more like it. Well it has been over 30 years. I used to work at one of the MEP regional centres - the one in Newcastle, Longbenton. It was on the same polytechnic campus as the National MEP headquarters. The MEP Regional Information Centre functioned as a library and resource for a number of neighbouring local education authorities. Teachers would book a time to visit and come and see what the place had in technology and software for the classroom. It had a lot of software, and in fact I think there may have been something of an obligation to try to obtain a copy of everything that was being published. Some of it came complimentary and some was purchased. I remember a lot of my time was taken-up assisting the librarian in getting the stuff transferred to disc, and this wasn't because we liked to make illicit copies, but we needed to do this as the discs were so much more reliable and faster than tapes, and the teachers needed to see whatever they could in the limited time that they had. The task was endless and a real chore and after a short while I was beginning to loose the will to live. Some of the software was good and some of it real bad, man.

I'm just wondering if I am thinking of something else. If you say the Longman titles were good then maybe I am getting them mixed-up with some of the other software. Although I saw in your list that there was a biology title. I seem to vaguely remember one program by a particular publisher having a diagram of the human heart on the screen, with red and blue sections for the arteries and blood vessels, and showing the flow of blood in stages. Was this one of those Longman programs?

A lot of the software coming in seemed to be aimed at primary schools, so was this something intentional or just the way things developed? This will be around the year 1983.

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:32 pm

The heart program is probably by Garland although lots of publishers tried this topic.

Primary software far outnumbers secondary, though at the first most publishers aimed at secondary schools as they had the computers before primary schools. Primary schools, however, made the best use of BBCs so that was where the money was in producing software.
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

Galaxy High

Postby Galaxy High » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Hello,

Old thread (really need to turn on eMail notify).

I've got the disks, I've got the MMC, I've got the disk drive... but it's not reading any more :(

Anyone out there refurb drives or knows someone or can walk me through the process?

Sorry for the delay in responding,
Sam

EDIT: *DISC seemed to get it running again. Yeah! I'll copy titles over to the MMC and post them here.
BBC Masters 128
MMC Rom
OS Switch 1.20, 3.20 and 3.50
PiTubeDirect (Internal)

gazj82

Postby gazj82 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 am

This is fantastic. Would love to see Microsmiles "11 more" again :)

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:21 am

gazj82 wrote:This is fantastic. Would love to see Microsmiles "11 more" again :)

So would I. :? [-o<
- John

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:47 am

In 1989/90 I bought a franchised business and at the end of the tax year I presented my accounts to my accountant, all neatly printed out having been prepared on my model B, he was ecstatic, he'd never seen anything as good he told me. It would make life so much easier for him and so much cheaper for me, he was a small accountant, looking after small businesses.

Anyway, the point of my post is the software I used, I'm trying to remember it's name but it evades me, it was something simple and straightforward like 'The Accountant' or 'The Bookkeeper'. Can anyone help here, it was an amazing piece of software and very professional in it's features as well as it's output, it was certainly class software. Having said all that it wasn't too expensive, circa £25. I think it was produced by a single person which helped keep the price down I would imagine.

Can anyone help, any suggestions as to the name, if anyone recognises it and has it can they archive a copy ? I would love to use it again and I think it would be adaptable to suit nowadays tax requirements.

Thanks guys ..... Keith
From little Acorns great Beebs grow!

Return to “software: other”