BBC Basic for Z80

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
KayjayUK

BBC Basic for Z80

Postby KayjayUK » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:40 pm

I've just been browsing the BBC Basic files http://mdfs.net/BBCBasic/Z80Basic/ and I'm trying to figure out how to implement the Z80 rom. I'm using Pitube on Pi zero to access Z80 CoPro.

Is the z80rom file already converted as per the instructions so that I can just blow the rom or do I need to create it specifically ?

I tried following the instructions in the txt file but it expects BBCBASIC.COM and when I try to access that after entering cp/m it just queries the command, so I'm assuming it isn't present.

This is my first time with the tube, co-pro's and cp/m and I'm very green with it all, please be gentle :mrgreen: :oops: :)

Thanks ...... Keith
Last edited by KayjayUK on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
From little Acorns great Beebs grow!

jgharston

Re: BBC Basic for Z80

Postby jgharston » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:10 am

Yes, everything's preconverted, see http://mdfs.net/Software/BBCBasic/BBCTube

Z80BASIC.ROM is Z80 BBC BASIC for the BBC Z80 Tube built as a ROM image. Either load it into a sideways ROM or RAM, and if a Z80 CoPro is active then *BASIC selects it. Alternatively, if you have correctly extracted it from the archive so the load/exec address are set correctly, *Z80BASIC will load and run it from disk. The ROM image includes a Z80 disassembler, see the Z80Text file.

Z80BASIC.COM is Z80 BBC BASIC for the BBC Z80 Tube without a ROM header, runnable directly from disk, either froma CPM disk (whereupon you lose access to CPM) or from a BBC filing system.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:14 am

jgharston wrote:Yes, everything's preconverted, see http://mdfs.net/Software/BBCBasic/BBCTube

Z80BASIC.ROM is Z80 BBC BASIC for the BBC Z80 Tube built as a ROM image. Either load it into a sideways ROM or RAM, and if a Z80 CoPro is active then *BASIC selects it. Alternatively, if you have correctly extracted it from the archive so the load/exec address are set correctly, *Z80BASIC will load and run it from disk. The ROM image includes a Z80 disassembler, see the Z80Text file.

Z80BASIC.COM is Z80 BBC BASIC for the BBC Z80 Tube without a ROM header, runnable directly from disk, either froma CPM disk (whereupon you lose access to CPM) or from a BBC filing system.

Thanks, that helps a lot :D
Keith

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 am

Sorry, after reading the info above I thought all would be well but unfortunately I'm still having probs.

I load Z80ROM into SWR, start up the Z80 co-processor, type in *BASIC and it reports the following

*BASIC
BASIC

'This is not Z80 code'

I'm using the software co-processor on Pi zero in case that makes a difference. The *BASIC is keyboard entry and the next two lines are the report from the ROM (I assume)

Keith

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Odd. On Break it should have disabled 6502 BASIC and automatically entered Z80 BASIC without any intervention.

On pressing Break you should get something like this, without you having to do anything else:

$ bbcbasic
>_

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:02 am

jgharston wrote:Odd. On Break it should have disabled 6502 BASIC and automatically entered Z80 BASIC without any intervention.

On pressing Break you should get something like this, without you having to do anything else:

I get the first two lines but the third line is just BASIC rather than Z80 BASIC. So it would seem I don't have the ROM in SWR or should 6502 BASIC be in a lower priority socket?

This is the first time I've used this rom board so the SWR side may be faulty, I've never tested it. I will try some other ROMs to see if they work plus I'LL blow a ROM with the Z80ROM data and see if it works that way.

Keith

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 pm

KayjayUK wrote:I get the first two lines but the third line is just BASIC rather than Z80 BASIC. So it would seem I don't have the ROM in SWR or should 6502 BASIC be in a lower priority socket?

It doesn't matter as, before any languages are examined, anything that is not Z80 code has its 'language' bit removed from the ROM table*, so is ignored as a language. If Z80 Basic is present and a Z80 CoPro is active, only Z80 languages are considered for selection as a language.

*In typing this I have just realised that on an Electron the ROM table is in a different location in memory, something I should update to deal with. On an Electron you will get the ROM one slot up from each 6502 language disabled, but you're not using an Electron are you?

$ bbcbasic
>_

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:24 pm

jgharston wrote:but you're not using an Electron are you?

No, I'm using a BBC B. I also think I have discovered the problem, whatever mode I put the Beeb in I can't successfully use SWR. As I mentioned previously I haven't tried using it before, the ROM board is a used one I picked up, the main part of the board seems to work ok, I've had no issues with ROMs previously. As a simple initial test I have bought a couple of 6264's to see if that fixes it, if not then it's time to dust off my diagnostics skills, they're very dusty and minimal but enough I think to search out any hardware probs.

I am also going to blow a rom with Z80ROM but at the moment I am struggling to get my Willem programmer working on Win10 so I've bought a new programmer, (different type) which should arrive tomorrow so either way I should hopefully achieve a satisfactory result and have Z80 BASIC working.

I also have the option of writing Z80 assembler using my copy of Romas cross assembler in standard 6502 mode then running it under Z80 copro, this will eliminate the necessity for Z80ROM. Having said that I still want to fix the issue as I would still like to have access to all the CP/M software and besides all of that I want to have SWR so I can simply test any ROMs I may write.

Keith

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:27 pm

KayjayUK wrote:I also have the option of writing Z80 assembler using my copy of Romas cross assembler in standard 6502 mode then running it under Z80 copro, this will eliminate the necessity for Z80ROM.

Before I got Z80 BASIC I used Rowland Waddilove's assembler translated into BBC BASIC.

$ bbcbasic
>_

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:23 am

These things are sent to try us, I'm sure ....

I have now successfully programmed Z80ROM into a 2764 dropped it onto my W.E. eprom board, turned on and ...... nothing ! The beeb hangs before doing anything, no output, nothing just a flashing cursor that won't accept any input.

This is really driving me nuts ](*,) :-& :-({|=

Just to clarify things, I have a BBC B with W.E. Eprom board, 12 rom type, also I have the level shifter and pi zero on the tube underneath. Finally I have the latest DataCentre from Mark and a pair of self powered drives 0-3 switchable with W.E DFS again from Mark at Retro.

Help ...... before I finally pull the last few strands of hair from my head !

Keith
Edit.
I can safely say the eprom is correctly programmed because it verified against the Z80ROM file I downloaded.

Another Edit
I have now programmed the Torch ROMS from mdfs and with the BBC one insterted the Beeb boots up lovely with a blue screen and Torch at the top. I haven't made up a cable yet for the Torch so I can't plug that in just yet.

So is the Z80ROM corrupted, is my Pi zero software corrupted? I bought a micro sd ready programmed with the software from Kjell so I'm assuming it's correct but hey ... you never know.
So has anyone got any ideas at all ?

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:30 am

KayjayUK wrote:So is the Z80ROM corrupted, is my Pi zero software corrupted? I bought a micro sd ready programmed with the software from Kjell so I'm assuming it's correct but hey ... you never know.

Is this the ROM we are talking about?
http://mdfs.net/Software/BBCBasic/Z80Basic/Z80ROM

For Z80ROM you need a 27128 (16K), as it's too large to fit in a 2764 (8K).

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:09 am

hoglet wrote:
KayjayUK wrote:So is the Z80ROM corrupted, is my Pi zero software corrupted? I bought a micro sd ready programmed with the software from Kjell so I'm assuming it's correct but hey ... you never know.

Is this the ROM we are talking about?
http://mdfs.net/Software/BBCBasic/Z80Basic/Z80ROM

For Z80ROM you need a 27128 (16K), as it's too large to fit in a 2764 (8K).

Darn it .... of course !! no wonder it doesn't flippin' work ... Yes, that's the one, thing is I can't put a 128 onto the WE 12 rom board can I. I could pull the board out and use the standard beeb sockets and switch S33 over but I still wouldn't have enough sockets ....

Anyone done any circuit hacking to add A13 demultiplexing to the 12 rom board ?

Keith

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 am

KayjayUK wrote:Darn it .... of course !! no wonder it doesn't flippin' work ... Yes, that's the one, thing is I can't put a 128 onto the WE 12 rom board can I. I could pull the board out and use the standard beeb sockets and switch S33 over but I still wouldn't have enough sockets ....

You should be able to use a 27128 in most of the sockets. It's only 14L/14H that are different:
https://www.retro-kit.co.uk/user/custom ... s12ROM.pdf

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:46 pm

hoglet wrote:
KayjayUK wrote:Darn it .... of course !! no wonder it doesn't flippin' work ... Yes, that's the one, thing is I can't put a 128 onto the WE 12 rom board can I. I could pull the board out and use the standard beeb sockets and switch S33 over but I still wouldn't have enough sockets ....

You should be able to use a 27128 in most of the sockets. It's only 14L/14H that are different:
https://www.retro-kit.co.uk/user/custom ... s12ROM.pdf

That's good, thanks.

I've scoured that instruction sheet quite a few times looking for info on using 27128's and found nothing. It wasn't until I looked closely at the link settings that I saw the option for 27128 .... thanks for making me aware, I appreciate it.

Now to program a couple of 16k chips and see if I can't finally get Z80 second proc running !

Keith

Andrewcee

Postby Andrewcee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:03 pm

Have succeeded running Z80 basic program on Master with Pi copro earlier today, a new first. Used half dozen lines of code looping round with calls via oscli to format & verify a dozen floppies. Definitely a 27128 needed or equivalent swr. Had cpm running from a turbo MMC albeit have still to work out how to change MMC disks from cpm. Looking forward to trying out some Z80/cpm software in due course.

Pi copro worked on my Beeb when I tried this morning, another first, so imagine Beeb will run Z80 copro on Pi no bother. Liking the Pi copro.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:18 am

Andrewcee wrote:Had cpm running from a turbo MMC albeit have still to work out how to change MMC disks from cpm.

If you have a CPM boot disk with the SJCCP instead of the DRCCP you can issue *commands from the CPM> prompt. See also JGHCPM1 disk.

$ bbcbasic
>_

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Andrewcee wrote:Have succeeded running Z80 basic program on Master with Pi copro earlier today, a new first. Used half dozen lines of code looping round with calls via oscli to format & verify a dozen floppies. Definitely a 27128 needed or equivalent swr. Had cpm running from a turbo MMC albeit have still to work out how to change MMC disks from cpm. Looking forward to trying out some Z80/cpm software in due course.

Pi copro worked on my Beeb when I tried this morning, another first, so imagine Beeb will run Z80 copro on Pi no bother. Liking the Pi copro.

Well done !

I'm now hoping to do the same. Through my own stupidity all my problems have been cause by trying to use 8k instead of 16k. My Pi Copro works fine, has done from day one it was just this silly issue with me using the wrong size rom that stopped me running Z80 BASIC.

Thanks for your input :)

Keith
Last edited by KayjayUK on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm

jgharston wrote:
Andrewcee wrote:Had cpm running from a turbo MMC albeit have still to work out how to change MMC disks from cpm.

If you have a CPM boot disk with the SJCCP instead of the DRCCP you can issue *commands from the CPM> prompt. See also JGHCPM1 disk.

This is defintely interesting, Thanks JGH !

Keith

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 pm

jgharston wrote:

I suppose I'm being dumb again but why a single and a double sided disk for the same file set or are they different ? JGHCPM1 and JGHCPM1d

Keith

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:14 pm

KayjayUK wrote:I suppose I'm being dumb again but why a singlesequential and a double sidedinterleaved disk for the same file set or are they different ? JGHCPM1 and JGHCPM1d

JGHCPM1 is a standard sequential disk image, where sector N is at offset N*B into the image, where sector N+1 is always and invariably immediately after sector N. JGHCPM1d is an interleaved disk image where sector N is at offset ((N MOD 10)+((N DIV 10) MOD 80)*20+(N DIV 800)*10)*B into the image, where sector N+1 is sometimes immediately after sector N and sometimes is N+10 sectors further on, and sometimes is N-800 sectors behind. Some people prefer interleaved disk images.

$ bbcbasic
>_

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:27 pm

jgharston wrote:
KayjayUK wrote:I suppose I'm being dumb again but why a singlesequential and a double sidedinterleaved disk for the same file set or are they different ? JGHCPM1 and JGHCPM1d

JGHCPM1 is a standard sequential disk image, where sector N is at offset N*B into the image, where sector N+1 is always and invariably immediately after sector N. JGHCPM1d is an interleaved disk image where sector N is at offset ((N MOD 10)+((N DIV 10) MOD 80)*20+(N DIV 800)*10)*B into the image, where sector N+1 is sometimes immediately after sector N and sometimes is N+10 sectors further on, and sometimes is N-800 sectors behind. Some people prefer interleaved disk images.

Whilst no doubt correct, that does strike me as being a little non-obvious. So, if I understand correctly, this is about interleaving the tracks from the sides of a disk so for other's benefit.....

Acorn DFS and CP/M both treat double-sided disks as two single-sided disks, assigning a separate drive ID to each and files do not span sides.

Acorn ADFS and DOS as implemented on the iBM PC treat the two sides of a double sided floppy as one medium but in slightly different ways. Imagine you have a freshly formatted ADFS disk and you go to save a file that is longer than one disk side. In this case ADFS will start writing on track 0 of the first side, immediately after the free space map and root catalogue and when it reaches the end of track 0 it will step the disk head and continue on track one. That will continue until the end of track 79 (for an 80 track drive) and then it will reposition the head back to track 0 and start writing on the second side of the disk. This arrangement is "sequential sides".

If you did the same on an IBM PC with a freshly formatted disk, writing would begin on track 0 of the first side immediately after the FAT but upon reaching the end of track 0 on that side instead of stepping the head to track 1 writing continues on track 0 of the second side. Only when that track is full would then head be moved to track 1 and writing would continue on the first side again. That would then carry on for as many tracks as necessary. This arrangement is "interleaved sides".

The Acorn ADFS arrangement has the advantage that the catalogue and some files may be readable from a double-sided disk even in a single sided drive. The IBM PC arrangement has the advantage that it is faster for reading/writing large files of several tracks because there is less head movement.

The snag comes when you decide to read all the data from a floppy as raw sectors and store it in a single file (on a hard disk) for archiving. If you want the archiver program, i.e. the one reading the floppy and writing to the image file on hard disk to run as fast as possible, which you do if you have a stack of them to do, you read the floppies using the IBM interleaved sides approach (80 head movements per double sided disk, compared to 240 with the Acorn approach) but if the source floppy is an Acorn disk and you write the sectors to the image file on the hard disk in the same order they are being read from floppy you end up with an image file with the sides interleaved which is a good archive, in that it can be written back to a real floppy fast, but is sub-optimal for use with emulators running on relatively old hardware because with emulator access confined to one side, for example on a DFS disk image, the emulator's host OS has to move the hard disk head further than if the sides had been stored in the image file consecutively (sequentially).

Possibly for that reason, JGH prefers sequential sided (SSD) image files. I don't know the full history but I suspect a significant archiving operation pre-dates the availability of good emulators on the PC so elsewhere (other than JGH's excellent mdfs.net) the interleaved side (DSD) image file is commonplace and is supported by modern emulators.

It is possible to convert between the two formats and Steve Harris's 'beeb' is one utility which has that feature. There are no doubt others too.

KayjayUK

Postby KayjayUK » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:43 am

Coeus wrote:
Whilst no doubt correct, that does strike me as being a little non-obvious. So, if I understand correctly, this is about interleaving the tracks from the sides of a disk so for other's benefit.....

Acorn DFS and CP/M both treat double-sided disks as two single-sided disks, assigning a separate drive ID to each and files do not span sides.

Acorn ADFS and DOS as implemented on the iBM PC treat the two sides of a double sided floppy as one medium but in slightly different ways. Imagine you have a freshly formatted ADFS disk and you go to save a file that is longer than one disk side. In this case ADFS will start writing on track 0 of the first side, immediately after the free space map and root catalogue and when it reaches the end of track 0 it will step the disk head and continue on track one. That will continue until the end of track 79 (for an 80 track drive) and then it will reposition the head back to track 0 and start writing on the second side of the disk. This arrangement is "sequential sides".

If you did the same on an IBM PC with a freshly formatted disk, writing would begin on track 0 of the first side immediately after the FAT but upon reaching the end of track 0 on that side instead of stepping the head to track 1 writing continues on track 0 of the second side. Only when that track is full would then head be moved to track 1 and writing would continue on the first side again. That would then carry on for as many tracks as necessary. This arrangement is "interleaved sides".

The Acorn ADFS arrangement has the advantage that the catalogue and some files may be readable from a double-sided disk even in a single sided drive. The IBM PC arrangement has the advantage that it is faster for reading/writing large files of several tracks because there is less head movement.

The snag comes when you decide to read all the data from a floppy as raw sectors and store it in a single file (on a hard disk) for archiving. If you want the archiver program, i.e. the one reading the floppy and writing to the image file on hard disk to run as fast as possible, which you do if you have a stack of them to do, you read the floppies using the IBM interleaved sides approach (80 head movements per double sided disk, compared to 240 with the Acorn approach) but if the source floppy is an Acorn disk and you write the sectors to the image file on the hard disk in the same order they are being read from floppy you end up with an image file with the sides interleaved which is a good archive, in that it can be written back to a real floppy fast, but is sub-optimal for use with emulators running on relatively old hardware because with emulator access confined to one side, for example on a DFS disk image, the emulator's host OS has to move the hard disk head further than if the sides had been stored in the image file consecutively (sequentially).

Possibly for that reason, JGH prefers sequential sided (SSD) image files. I don't know the full history but I suspect a significant archiving operation pre-dates the availability of good emulators on the PC so elsewhere (other than JGH's excellent mdfs.net) the interleaved side (DSD) image file is commonplace and is supported by modern emulators.

It is possible to convert between the two formats and Steve Harris's 'beeb' is one utility which has that feature. There are no doubt others too.

Wow, thank you. This is tremendous information. I've forgotten a lot that I knew in the 80's but it is coming back bit by bit :roll: #-o (pun def intended)
but this info was never buried or drilled into my brain cells and is wonderful new knowledge. No disrespect to JGH, he is a superb programmer and I imagine a really nice chap too but his explanation left me struggling, yours, on the other hand, is very clear and gives a full understanding of the terms sequential and interleaved. JGH's explanation is very likely correct, in fact more than likely 100% correct and is obviously clear to some users of the Beeb, i.e. you, but in my case where my knowledge is a little limited it just stared a me and said "Someone will tell you what I mean" :)

I got ssd and dsd as meaning single and double sided disk form another user on here who labelled his disks as such, of course, me being the perfect gentleman, am not going to mention his name or identify him in any way it would be unfair on him or his reputation.

Thank you Coeus for clarifying this and thank you JGH for your hard work, superb programming skills and of course sharing all that, you are a star and a gentleman.

Keith

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Coeus wrote:Acorn DFS and CP/M both treat double-sided disks as two single-sided disks,

No they don't. Acorn CP/M treats a double-sided disk as a single logical disk with 160 tracks, exactly the same as ADFS. CP/M drive A: is both sides of drive 0, CP/M drive B: is both sides of drive 1. The only oddity is that logical sectors count downwards on track 80 to track 179.

Coeus wrote:The snag comes when you decide to read all the data from a floppy as raw sectors and store it in a single file (on a hard disk) for archiving.

Ideally, when imaging a file system from physical media, you want the imaged system to be an image of the file system you've imaged. So, if the file system says that object A starts at block N, then it is at block N in the image file, not block ((N MOD S)+((N DIV S) MOD T)*2*S+(N DIV (T*S))*S) or something similar.

$ bbcbasic
>_

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:32 pm

jgharston wrote:
Coeus wrote:Acorn DFS and CP/M both treat double-sided disks as two single-sided disks,

No they don't. Acorn CP/M treats a double-sided disk as a single logical disk with 160 tracks....

Ok, I was posting based on my 30+ y/o memory of using CP/M on a RM380Z but Wikipedia confirms my memory making reference to the " 380Z Disc System CP/M Version 2.2 Users Guide" which, in section 3.2 entitled "Disc Drive Naming Convention" says:

Each disc drive in a 380Z disc system can either read one side of a disc
(single-sided) or both sides of a disc (double-sided). You should check
whether your drives are 5.25-inch or 8-inch and double-sided or single-
sided. Each side of a disc drive that is operational is referred to
individually as a "logical disc drive" and is given one of the names A, B,
C, or D.

Drives A and C represent the two sides of the first disc drive, which is
always present on a 3802 Disc System,‘while drives B and D represent the
two sides of the second disc drive (Not all 380Z disc systems are equipped
with a second disc drive.) Note that only drives A and C are present in a
single-disc (double-sided) disc system while only drives A and B are
present in a double—disc (single—sided) disc system.

So I checked further and it seems I have been guilty of an over-generalisation. Mapping logical records (of 128 bytes), which would have originally corresponded to a sector on an 8" disk, to physical device, track, sector is a BIOS function and different CP/M ports with different BIOSes can handle this differently.

jgharston wrote:...exactly the same as ADFS. CP/M drive A: is both sides of drive 0, CP/M drive B: is both sides of drive 1. The only oddity is that logical sectors count downwards on track 80 to track 179.

So, if I have got this right, and going back to my writing a large file example, upon reaching track 79 on the first side writing would continue with track 79 on the second side and then work back towards track 0.

jgharston wrote:
Coeus wrote:The snag comes when you decide to read all the data from a floppy as raw sectors and store it in a single file (on a hard disk) for archiving.

Ideally, when imaging a file system from physical media, you want the imaged system to be an image of the file system you've imaged. So, if the file system says that object A starts at block N, then it is at block N in the image file, not block ((N MOD S)+((N DIV S) MOD T)*2*S+(N DIV (T*S))*S) or something similar.

I am not disagreeing with this. It all depends on whether you see the image file as just an archive, i.e. something opaque to the host system on which it has been stored., or whether you want to use it on the host, especially "use it" in the sense of having software on the host access the filesystem within that image to copy files in/out. In this latter case you are quite right that having the image file laid out in logical sector order for that filesystem makes things easier.

It is also quite possible for an archiving program to do this without giving up fast reading of the original floppy as it can simply seek on the output image file between tracks.

crj

Postby crj » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 am

Coeus wrote:Ok, I was posting based on my 30+ y/o memory of using CP/M on a RM380Z

Unfortunately, there was no standard for how a CP/M filesystem should be represented on disc, and there is no expectation of interoperability between CP/M systems.

What the RM380Z does is no guide to what choices Acorn might have made.

Return to “software: other”