PlayUEF v1.0 beta released

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
8bitkick

PlayUEF v1.0 beta released

Postby 8bitkick » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi

Announcing the release of PlayUEF v1.0 beta 2 - a free web-based UEF to WAV converter that lets you stream games from your laptop/smartphone straight to you Acorn Electron or BBC Micro cassette port. Connected to the STH archive of 1000+ games...just add cassette lead!

UPDATE- copy protected BBC Micro cassettes now supported

You can have a go here http://www.8bitkick.cc/playuef.html

Full documentation and source code here https://github.com/8bitkick/PlayUEF

It's been tested on Acorn Electron Issue 2,4 & 6; BBC Model B Issue 3 & 7 / Safari, Chrome and IE. Of course any bugs / suggestions let me know. Chunk 0x0104 support and Acorn Atom is next :wink:

Thanks to all the stardot members for suggestions & testing to name a few BigEd, CMcDougall, Commie_User, DavidB, Martin & last but not least Vanekp!! =D>
Last edited by 8bitkick on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanekp

Re: PlayUEF v1.0 beta released

Postby vanekp » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Ran into another small problem was trying out Island Logic/The Music System Tape1 Side1(attached) it seems to have cut the wav file short as i am missing the last part. odd as other long games it sees fine like SupermanManOfSteel-Tynesoft89bbc.uef.
Have noticed that any uef that's created on BeeBEm itself it gives invalid UEF not sure if that's because BeebEm does not create a standard UEF File or what (have attached Frak that was created on BeebEm).
Attachments
Frak!-BeebEm.zip
(17.47 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
The Music System (Island Logic) (B) (Tape) [Tape1-Side1].hq.zip
(38.86 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

8bitkick

Postby 8bitkick » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:35 pm

vanekp wrote:Ran into another small problem was trying out Island Logic/The Music System Tape1 Side1(attached) it seems to have cut the wav file short as i am missing the last part.

Think is this due to chunk 0x0111 being implemented, but the length of resulting audio not being added to WAV total length. Now hopefully fixed you can try this attached WAV I just generated.

vanekp wrote:Have noticed that any uef that's created on BeeBEm itself it gives invalid UEF not sure if that's because BeebEm does not create a standard UEF File or what (have attached Frak that was created on BeebEm).

Update: Weird either being decoded wrong by PlayUEF or contains data chunks that don't have standard cassette block headers. Haven't dug into this in much detail but it at least converts now.

Updated on the GitHub master, but not made this version live yet as I have no way to test right now :oops:

Meantime if you want to use the bleeding edge you can download locally from GitHub and run a local web server https://github.com/8bitkick/PlayUEF
Attachments
frak!-beebem.wav.zip
(172.78 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
the music system (island logic) (b) (tape) [tape1-side1].wav.zip
(633.06 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:49 pm

There is a definite improvement of 36 UEF's created in BeebEm 15 worked okay and 21 gave the error "Invalid UEF" I don't get it why as they are created in much the same way in BeebEm :?
Did not have any problems loading very big UEF's so that problem seems to have been resolved =D>

Edit:
Was playing with it today and 1st a UEF would not load in PlayUEF but after trying the same UEF file a few times then all of a sudden it loaded it without a problem...odd.
Peter.

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Latest Version still won't load Fortress.
20171111_Fortress.jpg

Peter.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:23 pm

^That looks similar to Space Hi-Way by Amcom, playing that out with TapDancer App works on my beeb Issue4s but not my Issue7s :?
and the beeb Issue3s, well not tried, but can mind them doing a 'click' after ever block loaded 8)
ImageImageImage

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Yes I know but 8bitkick is trying to get them working via his PlayUEF program, it was working till he made some changes, fixed one thing broke another :)
Space Hi-way has one block and no switching parity.

8bitkick

Postby 8bitkick » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:56 pm

vanekp wrote:Yes I know but 8bitkick is trying to get them working via his PlayUEF program, it was working till he made some changes, fixed one thing broke another :)

I rolled back the security cycles implementation (as it sounds like no game relies on it?) so the latest on GitHub should work again :P

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:31 pm

vanekp wrote:Yes I know but 8bitkick is trying to get them working via his PlayUEF.

you have completely missed my point :roll:

in plain crystal english, they differ on each beeb being issue 3/4/7, just like elk issue2/4 don't act like a Issue6!

also a factory tape machine or disc 8271 also differ :shock:
ImageImageImage

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:38 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
vanekp wrote:Yes I know but 8bitkick is trying to get them working via his PlayUEF.

you have completely missed my point :roll:

in plain crystal english, they differ on each beeb being issue 3/4/7, just like elk issue2/4 don't act like a Issue6!

also a factory tape machine or disc 8271 also differ :shock:

I guess it depends which serial processor is in the machine and if it had had all the Acorn recommended upgrades done to it to bring it up to standard :wink:
And in this case it works normally on my BBC is just that PlayUEF is not handling the parity bit correctly.

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:11 pm

8bitkick wrote:
vanekp wrote:Yes I know but 8bitkick is trying to get them working via his PlayUEF program, it was working till he made some changes, fixed one thing broke another :)

I rolled back the security cycles implementation (as it sounds like no game relies on it?) so the latest on GitHub should work again :P

I have yet to find a title that uses the so called security waves, most of them I think are as a result of the recording/duplicating equipment that was used and nothing to do with copy protection.
And yes all the normal programs work again just been testing them to make sure.

8bitkick

Postby 8bitkick » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:16 am

vanekp wrote:Latest Version still won't load Fortress.
20171111_Fortress.jpg
Peter.

Latest PlayUEF works with the Fortress UEF created with MakeUEF 2.3 :D

unnamed.jpg

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 am

I did not try it with a newer version, have always been using the old one I got off the internet but guess it was not correctly made due to being done with a older version of MakeUEF.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:41 am

vanekp wrote:I have yet to find a title that uses the so called security waves, most of them I think are as a result of the recording/duplicating equipment that was used and nothing to do with copy protection.

I have a Python script that can quickly parse a folder full of UEF's. I could configure it to identify any that contain chunk &0114 if you think it'd be useful?
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm

would be handy as the current python script out there do not support hq uef's which is a pity.

8bitkick

Postby 8bitkick » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:28 pm

PlayUEF v1.0 beta 2 released
Now supports copy protected BBC Micro cassettes

PlayUEF is a free web-based UEF to WAV converter that lets you stream games from your laptop/smartphone straight to you Acorn Electron or BBC Micro cassette port. Connected to the STH archive of 1000+ games...just add cassette lead!

http://www.8bitkick.cc/playuef.html - play now!

https://github.com/8bitkick/PlayUEF - source code and docs

Some tricky UEFs now loading on BBC Micro (thanks to vanekp):

Joust (Aardvark)
    Starquake (BubbleBus)
    Fortress (Pace) - MakeUEF v2.3
    Estra (Firebird)
    Hacker, The (Firebird)
    Sentinel (Firebird)
    Video Classics (Firebird)
    Alien 8 (Ultimate)
    Lunar Jetman (Ultimate)
    Night shade (Ultimate)

New chunks

Fully implemented

0x0104 defined data block support - detects MakeUEF version used and handles parity accordingly

Approximated

0x0116 - floating point gap is approximated to interger gap
0x0114 - security cycles replaced with carrier tone

Known Issues

Compatibility issues with some BeebEm generated UEFs
Tested OK on Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Microsoft Edge browser, but issues on some versions of IE and some Android browsers (e.g. UC browser)

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 pm

The problem where the audio control bar was not full screen width in Firefox on Windows 10 seems to have been resolved in the new version "Firefox Quantum" =D>

8bitkick

Postby 8bitkick » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:29 pm

vanekp wrote:The problem where the audio control bar was not full screen width in Firefox on Windows 10 seems to have been resolved in the new version "Firefox Quantum" =D>

I'm glad they caught up :P

I also did a bit of work at the w/e cleaning up the web player / browser compatibility, but its not live yet.

Return to “software: other”