Fixed: Enhanced Exile + TurboMMC compatibility? (patched Exile)

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
cmorley

Re: Enhanced Exile + TurboMMC compatibility?

Postby cmorley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:21 pm

Ok, my TurboMMC arrived this morning. As far as a plug and play no fuss kit goes I think it is quite good especially for novice users.

I performed some testing & Exile does not work with my RAM... I tested with a 16KB 'home brew' SWRAM (2x8K soldered together) and it does work.

So I know what is happening.

Exile scans the paged ROMs from 15->0. It also writes over the port B output and port B direction registers with the bank number.

My SWRAM modules present their RAM in the bank 0-7 range. Exile scanning down this far mashes the buffer "enables" on the TurboMMC circuit board causing it to crash.

The "trivial homebrew" SWRAM appears in a high bank as well 15-12 because it is aliased 4 times. Exile stops scanning before outputting PB3=0. So it works.

So I think Exile should not work on any machine with any SWRAM where all the SRAM banks are 7 or below with TurboMMC. I think this could be fixed in the TurboMMC ROM by re-initialising PORT B.

To confirm this I patched out (NOPs) the stx &fe6? writes and Exile works perfectly in SWRAM mode with my modules + TurboMMC.
Exile + TurboMMC patch.zip
(53.63 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

This explains why some people have it working and some do not. If you have SWRAM in banks 8-15 then you'll be OK.

I tried MMFS 1.36 +TurboMMC with the unpatched Exile and couldn't get it to load with any SWRAM (module or homebrew) it just crashed. MMFS 1.36 works with this patched Exile + TurboMMC + SWRAM.

Chris

duikkie

Re: Fixed: Enhanced Exile + TurboMMC compatibility? (patched Exile)

Postby duikkie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:01 pm

And smart-SPI tryed that ? Can not try it because smart is in swr bank here

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:29 pm

This matches my experiences trying to support SWR + MMC in my games (AstroBlaster - speech and Warlords - graphics).
What I do is check for SWR, then ON ERROR GOTO next line, which is the next disc command, it fails the first time and then succeeds the second.
I only use SmartSPI as a few of my beebs have Solidisk SWR and SmartSPI allows any even pair of PB lines to be used (thanks duikkie) and I want my beebs to be as similar as possible.
I did suggest/request the card be reset before each new session of disc access (*LOAD, CHAIN etc) but it was at a time when duikkie was moving on to USB and MMFS haddn't really ramped up.
I am not ungrateful, although I might sound it, as both SmartSPI and MMFS are great additions to the beeb scene and without them (and initially the TurboMMC), I probably wouldn't be doing any beeb stuff now.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:49 pm

Thats why there is smart -usb on the tube and not at the userport . It don't conflict with any thing on the userport .

The userport is heavy used with al lot of add on boards and so on

I do not why the ch375b board is not used often it costs about 1pound oke 3 time more then the sd card board but still.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:52 am

for who is looking in all wrong places for smart-spi rom :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9208&p=174930&hilit=with+a+little+shame#p174930

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Your patch is allso working with smart-spi :)

No sure about all the sideway ram boards like swr solidisc ?

cmorley

Postby cmorley » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:40 am

duikkie wrote:Your patch is allso working with smart-spi :)

Is the user port usage on the Solidisc for write protect? I presume that if some banks are write enabled before loading the game then my patch will still work. If they are all write protected before loading then it will not detect RAM on these boards. If this is the case then manually ensuring write enable before loading the game Solidisc + TurboMMC + Exile should/could work in enhanced mode...

I don't have a solidisc board which uses this register so can't test/confirm/deny.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:54 am

I have one but at an other location where it is very cold
and on other lines pb3,4

If i am there i will try

cmorley wrote:
duikkie wrote:Your patch is allso working with smart-spi :)

Is the user port usage on the Solidisc for write protect? I presume that if some banks are write enabled before loading the game then my patch will still work. If they are all write protected before loading then it will not detect RAM on these boards. If this is the case then manually ensuring write enable before loading the game Solidisc + TurboMMC + Exile should/could work in enhanced mode...

I don't have a solidisc board which uses this register so can't test/confirm/deny.

Return to “software: other”