Fixed: Enhanced Exile + TurboMMC compatibility? (patched Exile)

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
cmorley

Re: Enhanced Exile + TurboMMC compatibility?

Postby cmorley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:21 pm

Ok, my TurboMMC arrived this morning. As far as a plug and play no fuss kit goes I think it is quite good especially for novice users.

I performed some testing & Exile does not work with my RAM... I tested with a 16KB 'home brew' SWRAM (2x8K soldered together) and it does work.

So I know what is happening.

Exile scans the paged ROMs from 15->0. It also writes over the port B output and port B direction registers with the bank number.

My SWRAM modules present their RAM in the bank 0-7 range. Exile scanning down this far mashes the buffer "enables" on the TurboMMC circuit board causing it to crash.

The "trivial homebrew" SWRAM appears in a high bank as well 15-12 because it is aliased 4 times. Exile stops scanning before outputting PB3=0. So it works.

So I think Exile should not work on any machine with any SWRAM where all the SRAM banks are 7 or below with TurboMMC. I think this could be fixed in the TurboMMC ROM by re-initialising PORT B.

To confirm this I patched out (NOPs) the stx &fe6? writes and Exile works perfectly in SWRAM mode with my modules + TurboMMC.
Exile + TurboMMC patch.zip
(53.63 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

This explains why some people have it working and some do not. If you have SWRAM in banks 8-15 then you'll be OK.

I tried MMFS 1.36 +TurboMMC with the unpatched Exile and couldn't get it to load with any SWRAM (module or homebrew) it just crashed. MMFS 1.36 works with this patched Exile + TurboMMC + SWRAM.

Chris

duikkie

Re: Fixed: Enhanced Exile + TurboMMC compatibility? (patched Exile)

Postby duikkie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:01 pm

And smart-SPI tryed that ? Can not try it because smart is in swr bank here

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:29 pm

This matches my experiences trying to support SWR + MMC in my games (AstroBlaster - speech and Warlords - graphics).
What I do is check for SWR, then ON ERROR GOTO next line, which is the next disc command, it fails the first time and then succeeds the second.
I only use SmartSPI as a few of my beebs have Solidisk SWR and SmartSPI allows any even pair of PB lines to be used (thanks duikkie) and I want my beebs to be as similar as possible.
I did suggest/request the card be reset before each new session of disc access (*LOAD, CHAIN etc) but it was at a time when duikkie was moving on to USB and MMFS haddn't really ramped up.
I am not ungrateful, although I might sound it, as both SmartSPI and MMFS are great additions to the beeb scene and without them (and initially the TurboMMC), I probably wouldn't be doing any beeb stuff now.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:49 pm

Thats why there is smart -usb on the tube and not at the userport . It don't conflict with any thing on the userport .

The userport is heavy used with al lot of add on boards and so on

I do not why the ch375b board is not used often it costs about 1pound oke 3 time more then the sd card board but still.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:52 am

for who is looking in all wrong places for smart-spi rom :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9208&p=174930&hilit=with+a+little+shame#p174930

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Your patch is allso working with smart-spi :)

No sure about all the sideway ram boards like swr solidisc ?

Return to “software: other”