Assigned numbers?

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
crj

Assigned numbers?

Postby crj » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:38 am

This is a really long shot!

Throughout the BBC Micro OS there are various numbering ranges in which software projects might want an allocation: OSWORD, service call, filing system number, printer type, open file channels, language ROM instruction set architecture, etc.

A quarter of a century ago, you could ask Acorn. Nowadays... not so much. Has anyone taken over the task of assigning numbers? Is there any kind of up-to-date list of which ones are taken?

hoglet

Re: Assigned numbers?

Postby hoglet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:09 am

Here's Jonathan's list of Acorn File System numbers:
http://mdfs.net/Docs/Comp/BBC/Filing/FSNums

Boydie

Re: Assigned numbers?

Postby Boydie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:21 am

I remember that (rather I remember the consequences when people didn't play by the rules).
Acorn kept a master list of allocated numbers and developers requested a unique number from the unallocated list, which was then registered to prevent clashes between different developments, except there was one developer who never bothered and some of their products clashed with later Acorn stuff (I want to say Watford but may be being unfair to them for once).

With all the new developments going on, I'm surprised there isn't a master list at least on Stardot so people can declare which ones they're using and limit clashes.

As an alternative, would it be possible for your development to have the facility for users to change the numbers you've allocated in the event of a clash with (often very) individual hardware?

Return to “software: other”