NIBL - an influence on Atom Basic??

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
BigEd

NIBL - an influence on Atom Basic??

Postby BigEd » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:04 pm

"There are definite similarities between NIBL BASIC and the subsequent Acorn Atom BASIC (which in turn inspired BBC BASIC), such as the byte indirection and string operators and the use of the hash symbol to introduce hexadecimal constants. I would be interested in any evidence that this is not an accident; perhaps they have a common ancestor."
- "Pound Shop Basic" which offers a NIBL Tiny Basic running on a SC/MP emulation running on an 8k+4k £1 ARM chip.

I think we know the Acorn people had experience with the SC/MP in the MK14? Yes, here's Steve Furber: "The origins of the System 1 were in the Science of Cambridge MK14. I built the first prototype MK14 by hand and Sophie looked at it and said 'I could do better than that!', and went away and did so."

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Re: NIBL - an influence on Atom Basic??

Postby Rich Talbot-Watkins » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:56 am

Doubt it implies any kind of heritage, but Oric BASIC (which was derived from MS BASIC) used '#' as a hex literal prefix too. Not sure if 'vanilla' MS BASIC had that.

Prime

Re: NIBL - an influence on Atom Basic??

Postby Prime » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:20 am

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:Doubt it implies any kind of heritage, but Oric BASIC (which was derived from MS BASIC) used '#' as a hex literal prefix too. Not sure if 'vanilla' MS BASIC had that.

Dragon / CoCo basics which are MS basic use &H, I believe in some MS basics you could use &O for octal, but I may be fuzzy there.

Cheers.

Phill.

Return to “software: other”