Updated - BBC Micro .MMB

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
Higgy

Updated - BBC Micro .MMB

Postby Higgy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Hello all,

Is there a desire for this? Where is the best place to upload so we can collectively add to it etc?

I don't know how many times the .MMB which is doing the rounds has been updated, but after I found that the included version of Castle Quest did not work with the whole MMB system I thought I would edit it.

After a while I worked out how to change the menu. I could not work out editing the Database, so with a combination of hacking files I now have a good grasp on how to modify the menu to add new games, or redirect the menu to look at different disks on the .MMB.

I have also added some additional disks such as the excellent 'The Curse of Raven Wood' and music trackers disks from BitShifters (I never heard such good music!).
The Bitshifters 'Bad Apple' demo just sneaked in 8)

I hope I have made the correct acknowledgements.

Thanks & enjoy (once uploaded somewhere!),

Higgy

Changelog to original 'Internet BEEB.MMB':

v1.0

Added: Bad Apple Demo ( BitShifters - https://bitshifters.github.io/posts/pro ... apple.html )
Added: Beeb Tracker Vol 1. , Vol 2. & Vol 3. ( BitShifters - https://bitshifters.github.io/prods.html )
Fixed: Castle Quest (now uses single disk version instead of compilation version originally used)
Added: Castle Quest Cheat (this version has option to add extra lives)
Added: The Darkness of Raven Wood (Rucksack Games - http://johnblythe5.wixsite.com/rucksackgames )

topcat96

Re: Updated - BBC Micro .MMB

Postby topcat96 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Yes, yes and thrice yes! :D

Always good to have an up-to date repository of .MMB files. You never know when you'll need one! (says he who formatted the MMC card with his master copy of the .MMB file once) #-o

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:51 pm

i have fixed a lot of games , but the menu database is terrible. something about microsoft thing.
i allso have uploaded a electron version , with bad database file ( mode6 menu)

so i think a upload and updated bbc micro mmb file so good idea , but don't forget the electron

to change the import datafile in main menu program is a lot of pain,

you can better program a new menu :) , with better datafile ( better editing)

Higgy

Postby Higgy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:43 pm

I have got my head around how to change the main menu datafile. If I get the .ssd off you I can update the menu.

I won't be able to code a new menu. I am not a programmer, just someone that 'finds a way' ;)

So does stardot.org.uk have a file repository? I guess I could use 'MegaUpload' etc. But when new versions come long I/we need to delete them so people are not getting the old versions.

For example English Amiga Board have an FTP site for upload.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:52 pm

We don't have FTP access available to end users, but if you were to periodically send updated .mmb files to the admins we could add them to the stardot server?

Also, as the existing MMB file was based on the STH Collection (which I collated back in 2002) any problems with specific games within the current MMB file will also be present within the disc images that form the STH collection. So might you be willing to have a stab at updating the existing images in the STH Collection (to replace bad games/add newly-discovered commercial games?). That might actually make it easier to update the menus/mmb files and would of course mean the STH Collection gets a long overdue refresh too! :)

Let me know! :)
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

Higgy

Postby Higgy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi.

I don't know how to correct individual games on a STH disk, or make compilations. My BBC knowledge is from about 1992 ;)

For example on:

GAMES DISC M4_r1

LORD OF THE RINGS (Melbourne House)
EMPEROR (Molimerx)
JUMBO (Molimerx)
INU (MRJ)

If Emperor did not work, I would just re-link the Menu M4_r1 reference to another slot on the .MMB which contained a working disk image.

Higgy

Postby Higgy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:50 pm

@Arcadian - can you tweak my Forum profile so I can PM you a link to the .MMB please? Or you can probably PM me and I can reply.

Cheers.

sydney

Postby sydney » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Higgy wrote:@Arcadian - can you tweak my Forum profile so I can PM you a link to the .MMB please? Or you can probably PM me and I can reply.

Cheers.

PMs enabled!

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:50 am

my bbc knowlegde is from about 1983 :) , if it is beeb software i can look at game disc m4-r1 , fixed it if i did not do that already, remember i am not a player, most of the time i die in 3 seconds of the game :(

the only problem is time :) , programming , fixing , DIY , sometime eating and drinking ( and they think gamers have problems :) )

Higgy wrote:Hi.

I don't know how to correct individual games on a STH disk, or make compilations. My BBC knowledge is from about 1992 ;)

For example on:

GAMES DISC M4_r1

LORD OF THE RINGS (Melbourne House)
EMPEROR (Molimerx)
JUMBO (Molimerx)
INU (MRJ)

If Emperor did not work, I would just re-link the Menu M4_r1 reference to another slot on the .MMB which contained a working disk image.

evert67

Postby evert67 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:48 am

I'm only an occasional reader here, but still an enthusiastic BBC user. I did a search on this site, but could not really find what I needed.

Could somebody give me a link to what .MMS (and MMFS?) is and what purpose it serves? Thanks!

Higgy

Postby Higgy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:28 am

@evert67 - MMB is basically a harddrive. Loads of disc images are stored in 1 file. Someone wrote a nice menu so you can just goto the game rather than mounting the disk (*DIN) then running it (*EXEC !BOOT etc) I understand for real BBC computers there are quite cheap SD card reader type devices. They are on ebay.

I am using a BBC via FGPA computers so I don't actually have a physical BBC Micro.

@duikkie - if you send me your .MMB or the fixed disk images I can incorporate them into the .MMB
Last time I used a BBC was '92. '83 was probably a similar first time using one at Primary School. I still get scared of the memories of finding a 'Doomsday Machine' in the library of our Secondary School, turning the machine on, then after looking at our local geographical area we went somewhere else in the UK and this massive drawer came out of this big box (I think you had to turn the 'disc' over). Inside there was a large shiny disc thing. We did not want to touch it so quickly left the library :lol:

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 am

i am not a player, i fix only games if someone has troubles with it. my .mmb file is 1/2 fixed most of the time i replace the not running game with the same name. only new games is a problem. somewhere on this forum there is my .beeb.mmb file in 4 parts. a lot of fixed games in software item with text FIXED :)

so a fixed beeb.mmb has only to add the new games on a *din

if i have only more time i will rewrite the famous menu ( source is gone ? ) the datafile is very strange reading in the menu , lots of strange decoding . so if i only had time :)

or not so many idea's , DIY and hardware fixing . :)

Higgy wrote:@evert67 - MMB is basically a harddrive. Loads of disc images are stored in 1 file. Someone wrote a nice menu so you can just goto the game rather than mounting the disk (*DIN) then running it (*EXEC !BOOT etc) I understand for real BBC computers there are quite cheap SD card reader type devices. They are on ebay.

I am using a BBC via FGPA computers so I don't actually have a physical BBC Micro.

@duikkie - if you send me your .MMB or the fixed disk images I can incorporate them into the .MMB
Last time I used a BBC was '92. '83 was probably a similar first time using one at Primary School. I still get scared of the memories of finding a 'Doomsday Machine' in the library of our Secondary School, turning the machine on, then after looking at our local geographical area we went somewhere else in the UK and this massive drawer came out of this big box (I think you had to turn the 'disc' over). Inside there was a large shiny disc thing. We did not want to touch it so quickly left the library :lol:

Higgy

Postby Higgy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:14 am

Ok, so the .MMB I am working with has .SSD titled 'FIX'.

Lets use an example - Slot 256 contains the image: FIXMADMONTY

The MENU for 'Mad Monty' still links to the original on Slot S1-r1.

Have you patched the files on S1-r1 to look at 256:FIXMADMONTY or do I need to get the MENU to load Mad Monty from 256? (it runs on BeebEM)

Looking at the file structure in Slot 256:FIXMADMONTY, there is only $.MONTY so I guess this is more a patch for S1-r1 not a complete new version/.SSD of Mad Monty.

Cheers

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:29 am

sounds like a beeb.mmb from me :) , i made din with tittles like that, if it is from me most of the time it is a working title to upload to this forum, and if it not working from menu , there is something wrong , i will look when i am home .

look in the mean time on this forum what i did with mad monty or fix madmonty ?

what is on *din508 ?? mmcmenu ??

Higgy wrote:Ok, so the .MMB I am working with has .SSD titled 'FIX'.

Lets use an example - Slot 256 contains the image: FIXMADMONTY

The MENU for 'Mad Monty' still links to the original on Slot S1-r1.

Have you patched the files on S1-r1 to look at 256:FIXMADMONTY or do I need to get the MENU to load Mad Monty from 256? (it runs on BeebEM)

Looking at the file structure in Slot 256:FIXMADMONTY, there is only $.MONTY so I guess this is more a patch for S1-r1 not a complete new version/.SSD of Mad Monty.

Cheers

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:34 am

not home yet but look at laptop is is a beeb.mmb from me :)

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 am

it is a all in one file from me , chain"monty" will do the trick ,

Higgy

Postby Higgy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:31 pm

I am using MMBImager - I never looked that high up the list and yes 508: MMC2.0MENU 509: MMCXOVERFLOW & 510: MMCXDATA00

Ok, so I just redirected the MENU to load your MAD MONTY instead of the original stored on DISK S1-r1. - and it works :D

I wonder what your MAD MONTY fix was, because the normal version loads and I played it very briefly on BeebEm.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:02 pm

i don't know anymore i fixed a lot of games by now
i think the mad monty *din disk on beeb.mmb is allso changed.

if you look at din1 to 19 allso lot of stuff :)

so maybe i will upload my beeb.mb again lot has changed , look at item software under fixed.

and i like one file games. not xx files to load first. load and play !

Higgy wrote:I am using MMBImager - I never looked that high up the list and yes 508: MMC2.0MENU 509: MMCXOVERFLOW & 510: MMCXDATA00

Ok, so I just redirected the MENU to load your MAD MONTY instead of the original stored on DISK S1-r1. - and it works :D

I wonder what your MAD MONTY fix was, because the normal version loads and I played it very briefly on BeebEm.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:26 pm

evert67 wrote:Could somebody give me a link to what .MMS (and MMFS?) is and what purpose it serves? Thanks!

all info in this thread, I update the links on first page:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1919

games to fix, off the top of head:
JCB Digger (disc in STH coll is pooped)
Eagle Empire -needs ?&800=&80 added to line0 of Eagle-E file
Menu needs some file chars changed, so easier to change disc, ie from _ to -
flip knows all the ones Ive changed from "*DISC" to "*...." (.=space)
ImageImageImage

jms2

Postby jms2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 pm

One problem game that I'm aware of is Pipeline. This doesn't run properly from the MMC interface at all - it loads OK, but doesn't actually work.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:02 pm

one of the bigs problem is that i am not a player :) , i can see that things are not running , but if i must play i am to stupid or to slow and die :) , so most of the time i don't know what must happen in the game.

can't find where pipeline is on the beeb.mmb *din file , it loads MENU ???

jms2 wrote:One problem game that I'm aware of is Pipeline. This doesn't run properly from the MMC interface at all - it loads OK, but doesn't actually work.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:12 am

found it *din 220 called su8-r1-0 : lot of commands in menu basic program
*shadow 1 ?? , *disc and lots more

if i have time left : i will try to fix this ,

is it a beeb games or electron or master ?? *shadow 1 looks like more then beeb b ?

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:15 am

*SHADOW 1 is a Master command and turns off shadow memory, *SHADOW to turn it on - Did the Beeb+ also have shadow memory?

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:32 am

oke so it looks like beeb b game ? did they sell it as beeb compatible ? or someone playing with the hole game loading process ?

daveejhitchins wrote:*SHADOW 1 is a Master command and turns off shadow memory, *SHADOW to turn it on - Did the Beeb+ also have shadow memory?

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:47 am

Just had a look on the "Complete BBC Games Archive" site here and was surprised to see that it doesn't indicate the machine it was published for! Maybe that could be added? - or have I missed something?

Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Higgy, just to let you know I pm'd you a link yesterday but the message ain't been opened yet - might want to check your inbox ;)
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:30 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:Just had a look on the "Complete BBC Games Archive" site here and was surprised to see that it doesn't indicate the machine it was published for! Maybe that could be added? - or have I missed something?

I think everything is for the BBC B unless otherwise stated. Searching for elite gives 2 entries for the game - one disc and the other master and tube version.

jms2

Postby jms2 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:40 am

duikkie wrote:oke so it looks like beeb b game ? did they sell it as beeb compatible ? or someone playing with the hole game loading process ?

I think it could be a version which works on B, B+ and Master. As far as I remember it doesn't work on any when using the MMC hardware. However I recently changed to MMFS, so possibly that might help.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:51 pm

edit strange it was working the hole day now tested again it hangs ??? very strange ??

not smart to change i have a fix for SMART SPI uses only :^o

download the fix.
goto *din 220
*delete menu (file)
*delete screen
*delete game
*delete io

put the four files from zip in *din 220

and you can play the game i hope ( not a player myself)
it is not a total fix because i think it will not play with other mmc systems then SMART SPI :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil:

jms2 wrote:
duikkie wrote:oke so it looks like beeb b game ? did they sell it as beeb compatible ? or someone playing with the hole game loading process ?

I think it could be a version which works on B, B+ and Master. As far as I remember it doesn't work on any when using the MMC hardware. However I recently changed to MMFS, so possibly that might help.

Moderators note: Discussion continues also in this thread Mark
Last edited by duikkie on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

sydney

Postby sydney » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:11 pm

I'd quite like to see the Mick Brown collection in an mmb file.

Return to “software: other”