Anyone got Communicator system software? (Basic has 65816 assembler)

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
BigEd

Re: Anyone got Communicator system software? (Basic has 65816 assembler)

Postby BigEd » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:29 pm

That's encouraging - thanks for the pointer!

davidb

Postby davidb » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:32 pm

No problem. The possibly easier option mentioned in that thread is to use a PC with a bidirectional port to just read the output from the parallel port. Maybe even an old RISC OS machine in the vicinity could do this with the Communicator.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Pernod wrote:Whilst there could you ask whether they also have the technical manuals? I'm emailed Cambridge with the same question but no replies. If I can at least ascertain who (if anyone) has them then we can arrange a scanning session at some point.

Sorry, didn't see this message until my return. I did get the impression during the visit that the various curators each have their own interests - so getting the name of the Acorn person would be a small step forward.

Oh, and I'm very curious as to what the COMP key does! And in BASIC does MODE7 enter teletext mode.

I'll have a go at this next time I'm in front of a powered-up unit.

Boydie

Postby Boydie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Despite having used this for a year as my means of dialling into the university's mainframe in the 90s, I had no idea what the button did, which probably gives some idea as to its usefulness.

I've just tried it, and it returns you to the Carousel if that's active, otherwise to the Main Menu. Except in View, Viewsheet, or BASIC, in which case it tries to return you and fails. Something of an anti-climax, really. You can see why the user guide completely fails to mention it.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Which version of the ROMs do you have? We only have 1.00 dumped but we know there's at least 1.70 and 2.00 out there.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

Boydie

Postby Boydie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Communicator is 1.00.
I'll try to check the briefcase one tomorrow. Since it was Acorn's warehouse surplus sold some 10 years later, and I suspect the briefcase is a later variant, this may be one of the last ones made.

Boydie

Postby Boydie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:58 am

Briefcase is 1.70
I think I may have found the reason why it never sold. There's a fundamental design flaw in the case interior, whereby there's about half an inch too little clearance behind the DIN connectors. As a result, you can't plug in a monitor without either detaching the machine from the case or compoletely removing all casing from the monitor connector and inserting the bare plug. Kind of thing that really messes up a sales demo.

Has anyone else noticed the Communicator Millenium-and-a-bit bug? It won't allow you to set the year to later than 2010.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Boydie wrote:I think I may have found the reason why it never sold. There's a fundamental design flaw in the case interior, whereby there's about half an inch too little clearance behind the DIN connectors. As a result, you can't plug in a monitor without either detaching the machine from the case or compoletely removing all casing from the monitor connector and inserting the bare plug. Kind of thing that really messes up a sales demo.

Miniture angle grinder as required accessory?

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Boydie wrote:Briefcase is 1.70

It looks like all known Briefcase examples are running 1.70, maybe this version is specifically for this model. Need a dump :roll:

Boydie wrote:Has anyone else noticed the Communicator Millenium-and-a-bit bug? It won't allow you to set the year to later than 2010.

Yeah, noticed in MAME when looking through the Configure options. The RTC is not implemented yet so don't yet know whether feeding the machine with a later date would be accepted.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:35 pm

jgharston wrote:
Boydie wrote:I think I may have found the reason why it never sold. There's a fundamental design flaw in the case interior, whereby there's about half an inch too little clearance behind the DIN connectors. As a result, you can't plug in a monitor without either detaching the machine from the case or compoletely removing all casing from the monitor connector and inserting the bare plug. Kind of thing that really messes up a sales demo.

Miniture angle grinder as required accessory?

Hole saw to make a nice round hole in the briefcase :?:
Rubber bung to seal up the hole when transporting it :?:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:37 pm

I wish I'd got a photo of my home-made Spectrum "briefcase" handbuilt from plywood. :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Return to “software: other”