Volunteers - Register your willingness to help here!

This is where we keep track of who is scanning what, so we can avoid duplicating work and also define conventions/standards etc
Moderators: DaveH, andrew_rowland, Dave_E, bfoley, sabre150, Moderators
User avatar
Arcadian
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 12:16 pm
Contact:

Volunteers - Register your willingness to help here!

Postby Arcadian » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:35 pm

It is suggested that people should only volunteer for ONE of the following roles (which should help us achieve a more consistent set of scans):


- Create raw scans


- Edit scanned pages (i.e. straighten pages; tidy up the edges; remove paper texture, creases and other blemishes)


- Combine the pages into a PDF and add an OCR layer

1980s_john
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:59 am
Contact:

Re: Volunteers - Register your willingness to help here!

Postby 1980s_john » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:09 am

Hi,

I have a pretty near full set of Practical Computing magazines, please send me any requests for any articles not already on the web.

Regards,
John

User avatar
Kecske Bak
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:03 am
Location: Treddle's Wharf, Chigley
Contact:

Re: Volunteers - Register your willingness to help here!

Postby Kecske Bak » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:16 am

Wasn't there a good article in the same edition as the Acorn Electron review about undocumented plot codes on a OS1.2 BBC B that could be used to write flood filling routines? That might be interesting to see again.

sabre150
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Volunteers - Register your willingness to help here!

Postby sabre150 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:40 pm

I have the following magazines that are currently on scanning projects.

Micro User - Complete set, think my scans are much better quality and are curently half the size as what's currently available, the process at the moment takes about 4 hours to scan a 100 page magazine, but have also saved each scanned page as an image.

Micro_User_v1_n1_March_1983 23,757 KB 80 pages
Micro_User_v1_n2_April_1983 29,911 KB 104 pages
Micro_User_v1_n3_May_1983 30,322 KB 104 pages

Acorn Computing - Have about 50% complete issues, looking for the other 50%

Acorn User - Have about 67% complete issuse, looking for the other 33%

User avatar
Arcadian
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Volunteers - Register your willingness to help here!

Postby Arcadian » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Ok, I have made sabre150 and bfoley moderators on this forum.

This should allow all of you to periodically edit the first post in each category (e.g. A&B Computing, Micro User) should you wish to give progress updates as you go along (remember to also 'bump' each thread everytime you update the first post, so visitors know there has been an update).

Please reference the 'Column Headings' thread if you're not sure what the codes mean. Or just ask me! :)

Assuming you're both willing to upload files directly to our server, I'll arrange for Geoff and Brian to have direct access to the mags.acornpreservation.org FTP server. Though I would need to give you a tutorial on how to use the script to auto-generate thumbnails + html pages, beforehand.

In terms of resolution/format, please read the 'scanning standards and tips' thread. Mag scans that go on the web should be 150 dpi JPG with 15% compression per page. If a page is black & white please ensure it has been converted to 256c greyscale before saving. The same files (150 dpi JPGs) are used to generate the PDF files.

Backups of the images should also be stored offline, as lossless PNG files at 300dpi or 400dpi. I would appreciate it if you could send me copies of the uncompressed images on DVD-R too (I would of course cover all costs).
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

Image
ABug Leicestershire (17-19 November 2017)


Return to “coordination of magazine scanning projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests