A7000+ Questions

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
johnha

A7000+ Questions

Postby johnha » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Hi All,

I've recently obtained an A7000+, which looks to run OK when booted, but I have some questions about it. As I've decided to leave my A310 original, I wanted something with a bit more umpf without having to make lots of mods.

davidb has suggested I check the CMOS battery (thanks), is there a dummy's guide for opening it up? I can see the two 'fix' type screws on the rear panel, do I need to remove the screws that hold the VGA, RS232 & Printer cables in?

It is currently fitted with a CD ROM, I've read you can have a single podule or CD ROM. I've also read that it has an internal network card connection, is this correct and if so usable with the CD ROM?

The HDD seems OK at the moment but I'm thinking of replacing it with a CF card. I think I only need an IDE->CF adapter and some means of transferring the data across, does this sound right?

Which disk formats will it read? I've read that RISC OS 3.10 onwards will read DOS & Atari ST formats, is this true with 3.71? Is it likely to be a HD drive?

No doubt there will be a lot more as I understand more about it.

John.

SarahWalker

Re: A7000+ Questions

Postby SarahWalker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:22 am

johnha wrote:It is currently fitted with a CD ROM, I've read you can have a single podule or CD ROM. I've also read that it has an internal network card connection, is this correct and if so usable with the CD ROM?

Yes, that's right.

The HDD seems OK at the moment but I'm thinking of replacing it with a CF card. I think I only need an IDE->CF adapter and some means of transferring the data across, does this sound right?

Yes.

Which disk formats will it read? I've read that RISC OS 3.10 onwards will read DOS & Atari ST formats, is this true with 3.71? Is it likely to be a HD drive?

All A7000s have HD drives, and will happily read/write PC formatted disks.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 am

johnha wrote:davidb has suggested I check the CMOS battery (thanks), is there a dummy's guide for opening it up? I can see the two 'fix' type screws on the rear panel, do I need to remove the screws that hold the VGA, RS232 & Printer cables in?

Definitely a good idea to check the battery - a leaky battery can destroy the circuit board and, if left long enough, kill the computer permanently.

You only need to remove two screws, on the back, to access the inside of the A7000. Remove these, then the back panel should lift away. After the back panel is removed, the top and front box will lift off, exposing the insides of the A7000.

If you then want to remove the HDD/FD and CD drive, these are on a metal bracket and you'll need to remove two more screws just below the front of the floppy drive and cd drive to free the metal support bar.

IIRC the battery is in the back left corner, behind the HDD.

Steve

johnha

Postby johnha » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for the replies.

It looks very tight in there. The good news is that there's no obvious corrosion on the board, there may be a bit around the edge of the battery. Obviously it should be replaced, but what with?
Attachments
IMGP1533s.JPG
(138.41 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:19 pm

I basically followed these instructions.

Return to “hardware”