Mouse/Keyboard solutions for the Arc/RISC PC

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
danielj

Mouse/Keyboard solutions for the Arc/RISC PC

Postby danielj » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:59 am

So mice.. :) I've just been looking at how cheaply it's possible to produce smallymice. I think you can get the PCBs to the UK for around about $1.50 each, then you're looking at around £10-12 of components for each board. Given a reasonable "1-pint per board" allowance for motivation it should be possible to crank these out for under £20 delivered :)

d.

dp11

Re: Disc Error 20/21/23 and SATA->IDE support

Postby dp11 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:42 pm

10to12 quid sounds a lot for components. A raspberry zero and some wires could do the same job. ( might need four extra resistors)

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:25 pm

It's the ATMEL AT90USB1287 which is about £7ish, the rest of the bits are in the pennies zone, apart from the header (60p), crystal (about 60p), USB port (60pish) and £1.50 for the 9pin minidin assembly. If you go the pi-zero route, you still need to find an SD card, which is going to be another fiver... Horses for courses though. The smallymouse is already developed and proven to work :D

d.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:15 am

danielj wrote:So mice.. :) I've just been looking at how cheaply it's possible to produce smallymice.

Will this not perform the same function?

The one I designed for the Arc's is 2xPS/2 to Quadrature, cost wise it was around £10 all in with a short 9 pin DIN cable to go into the Arc. The RiscPC adapter had just one PS/2 and Quadrature socket for the mouse and was around £7. I'll find the prototypes and add some photos to this post later.

I had this great idea that I could sell hardware adapters through JASPP, at cost, plus P&P and a small donation to the project. That way everyone gains, the community get sensibly priced hardware and the project gets some cash to purchase missing games when they appear on eBay at inflated prices.

I now have all the "stuff" to do SMD heat flowed soldering, so could possibly reduce those costs slightly with an SMD redesign, allowing the board to then be professionally made with me doing final assembly. It takes literally seconds to heat flow solder them, instead of hand solder, so they could be quickly assembled to order. I just need to find the time to test/finish the damned things and find a company to manfucture the boards.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:05 am

sirbod wrote:Will this not perform the same function?

It might well, but will require a mini usb to usb-a conversion... I shall procure one and have a play :)

The advantage of these over the ps/2 jobs is they work with all USB mice, regardless of whether it has a ps/2 mode.

Getting these sorts of things out as cheaply as possible to everyone who needs one would bring a lot of kit back into use I suspect. There was a keyboard/mouse adapter design on here a while back now I think about it...

dp11

Postby dp11 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:40 am

I'm not sure that has a host controller.

Something like PIC32MM0064GPM028 or ATSAMD21E15B Might be a lower cost option for volume production.

For little boards at work I use pcbgogo to make and assemble the boards.

We should spin this off to a separate thread

danielj

Re: Mouse/Keyboard solutions for the Arc/RISC PC

Postby danielj » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:28 am

Done :)

d.

JonC

Postby JonC » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:23 pm

What would be really nice is something that converts keyboards as well as mice.
Plug it into a mouse or mouse/keyboard port and convert to a couple of USB HID ports. :D
Jon

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:32 pm

JonC wrote:What would be really nice is something that converts keyboards as well as mice.
Plug it into a mouse or mouse/keyboard port and convert to a couple of USB HID ports. :D

That's why I went the PS/2 route, as you can use USB->PS/2 adapters.

Return to “hardware”