A5000 Disc Error 21

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
scuzz

A5000 Disc Error 21

Postby scuzz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Just my luck. I was taking pictures of the battery on the A5000, or trying to, so I could post here and ask how to remove it. The computer has been working without fault. It has a hard drive which up until today worked perfectly. There is no obvious damage from the battery and the board looks fine. The only thing I did was remove the ribbon and reconnect. The red edge is on the right as you look from the rear. This is how she was set up as I took photographs before moving ribbon.

I reconnected and I get a gentle whir of the drive and the startup but no real disk activity. The system pauses as it tries to initialise. Then when I click the drive from the task bar nothing happens until I get this error - Disc error 21 at : 4/00000C00.

I have disconnected and reconnected a few times. I also suspected the keyboard but not sure what I can do. Feels like the drive is not booting up.

Any ideas. All help appreciated.

steve3000

Re: A5000 Disc Error 21

Postby steve3000 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:54 pm

If you don't hear the usual spin up and heads engaging noise at startup then this is likely to be a failing drive, but first double check everything, especially that the cable is correctly inserted and not shifted along by one row of pins.

I've had a few drives from 90s computers fail. It is possible you may be able get it to work again briefly, but if it has failed then you'll need to be ready to copy things off just in case you do get it functioning again (because it may only work for a very short time). So have lots of floppies, or a Zip drive available.

Once you have some backup media ready you can try the usually methods to get a failing drive working: remove the drive from the computer, use a long ide and power cable, then try switching on the computer with the drive positioned carefully at different angles, from flat to vertical, and on its sides. Keep the drive steady each time, while switched on, but change the angle between tests. I've found this quite successful in the past, but only where the drive is failing due to mechanical wear.

Some have reported success cooling a failing drive down too, but I've not tried this myself.

scuzz

Re: A5000 Disc Error 21

Postby scuzz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:29 pm

I spent a good while tinkering with the cable, switching on resetting, changing the mouse and keyboard etc etc. Nothing but nothing would work. In the end I gave up and realised the hard drive had eventually died. So I carried the computer back to where she normally sits and reconnected everything. Switched the 5000 on and went straight into the OS and there on the screen was the IDEDisc4 and I could access the hard drive. I knew she was working cus the OS fired up so fast and didn't pause at that initialising screen.

I have a series of questions regarding batteries on the 5000 and 7000 and now I have taken the pictures I can get round to asking those. I will add the images to the website and get back. I can update at that time if the hard drive is still working.

Thanks for the reply.

I recently put six 2.5" drives in the freezer to try and get them working with no luck. In the end I hit the things with the rubber end of a screwdriver and amazingly two of the Seagates fired up. I have them in two Amiga 1200s sitting behind me and been running no problem for weeks now. I also once stood an Amiga 2000 on its side for a day and that did the trick... still working. And a 2.5" in a Viper in an A500 was left all day and finally kicked in and works no problem, Hard drives do really need to be spun around regularly, especially the 2.5" drives.

Happy days.

Return to “hardware”