RPC - SCSI !Boot rather than IDE

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
Trapper

RPC - SCSI !Boot rather than IDE

Postby Trapper » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi Folks,

I was lucky enough to pick up the extremely cheap SCSI podule on eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Cumana ... 2749.l2649)

I assume with SCSIFS and CDFS on ROM I can stop using the onboard IDE interface now for HDD and DVDROM?

Can the firmware be flashed? Not only to later versions of SCSI/CDFS but to also add the ADFS fix into it.

Thanks,

Matt

ajw99uk

Re: RPC - SCSI !Boot rather than IDE

Postby ajw99uk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Yes, you can, given SCSI devices obviously, and boot from SCSI - configure Filesystem SCSI and *opt 4,2 on the boot drive. Out of interest, what do you have against onboard IDE (aside from speed, lack of, and limit of two devices?). On second thoughts, if you want to use OS5.2X regularly, having that on ADFS and 26bit !Boot on SCSI could be handy (been pondering similar approach with ADFS and IDEFS myself).

The 16bit Cumana card does not have flash ROM. Also note this is the version that gave Beebmaster trouble when trying to partition a large disc into 512MB drives. Don't know if you would have more joy with DiscInit to initialise it as a single drive up to 16GB.

I had made a low bid on that, glad I decided not to continue :)
Running RISCOS: A5000, A540, R140, RiscPC, RPi B
Running *nix: SGI Fuel & Indigo2, RPi2, x86, amd64, RiscPC, A540, R140

Return to “hardware”