MOODY EBAY ROMS?

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
BradBrad

MOODY EBAY ROMS?

Postby BradBrad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:47 pm

Hi All, Just a quick one. Bought these off Ebay for about £15. They were sold as 'new and unopened'. Not sure about that given the state of the pins (very dull with marks on :shock: ). Do they look genuine to those in the know? They were sold as RISCOS 3.11.

When I tried them in my A3000, it got as far as the Supervisor prompt and then shut itself down in disgust :shock:

Thought I had damaged something but the machine is all ok now with my original 3.11 roms back in thank God :D .

The ones I am using were in a pretty sorry state before I cleaned up the machine but they seem to be working well. I just wanted spares just in case. Oh well :oops:
Attachments
20170920_003301.jpg
20170920_003341.jpg

steve3000

Re: MOODY EBAY ROMS?

Postby steve3000 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 am

Yes, those look like some I've seen in the past.

If they successfully boot to supervisor, then the roms have passed the checksum test, so they should be fine. Did you hold Delete when switching on, to reset CMOS RAM?

BradBrad

Postby BradBrad » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks. The delete key is the one key I can't get working on my refurbished A3000 and I am trying to limit the number of times that I detach and re-attach the ribbon cables :roll:

I used the r key on my other roms just fine. Why would these roms shut the computer down so suddenly? Is it trying to protect itself? It is like somebody hit the power swich :shock:

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 pm

BradBrad wrote:Thanks. The delete key is the one key I can't get working on my refurbished A3000 and I am trying to limit the number of times that I detach and re-attach the ribbon cables :roll:

I used the r key on my other roms just fine. Why would these roms shut the computer down so suddenly? Is it trying to protect itself? It is like somebody hit the power swich :shock:

I've not heard of that type of 'shutdown' you describe. There is no PSU control in the ARM chipset, so it cannot actually be a software power down. But a system crash is certainly possible, although this would leave the lights and usually the screen on...

Do all the lights go out? (power, caps lock, num lock?) If so, I'd suspect something else is causing this, not the ROMs.

Return to “hardware”