EtherN/I 10BaseT card on RiscOS 3.11

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
danielj

EtherN/I 10BaseT card on RiscOS 3.11

Postby danielj » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm

I've got an EtherN/I card from a Netstation...

http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... ernet.html (bottom two pictures on here) - now, it got slightly mangled when the PLCC eeprom was removed (I was young and foolish then, and didn't have hot air), but assuming I can stick it all back together and whack in a 32pin socket, should I be able to get it to work on pre-riscPC machines?

I've got a copy of the ROM (somewhere), I need to ditch the bootp malarky etc... Ideally get ShareFS into it too. I basically want to know if it should, in theory, work before I start squinting through a magnifier and hooking things up with kynar wire... :?

Any knowledge gratefully received!

d.

philb

Re: EtherN/I 10BaseT card on RiscOS 3.11

Postby philb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:23 pm

I think some/most of the ARM7500-era network cards expected to be able to map their ROMs into EASI space which won't work on an older machine. If you have a dump of the ROM then there might be some clues to be had from that.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks Phil - looking at this:
viewtopic.php?t=8435
It appears it does map it into EASI space, so that'd be a no-go then I assume - or can I just load the modules from disc?

I have to dig out the image...

d.

philb

Postby philb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:49 pm

The podule needs to be able to present at least a rudimentary expansion card ID structure in order for the OS to recognise it and for the driver to be able to identify it. If the card is only responding to EASI cycles for ROM access then the OS will not see anything at all and will think the slot is empty. On the other hand, it's possible that it does respond to old-style cycles and will return an expansion card ID but doesn't have a podule loader (because EASI doesn't require one) in which case loading the driver from disk might well work.

It's also possible (though perhaps less likely) that the hardware relies on EASI cycles for access to the actual I/O register space, in which case you would be a bit stuffed. Other things that might conceivably sink you would include:

- use of any signals from the middle row. Older designs either didn't connect these signals to anything at all (A5000 era) or used them as the coprocessor bus interface (A400 era).

- use of DMA. Older machines didn't have this at all, but I don't think the ARM7500 ones did either so this may not be a problem

If the object of the exercise is just to get a working Ethernet interface then there are probably easier options.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:07 pm

There are definitely some signals being taken from the middle row. And the podule (I've resurrected it now) doesn't report as anything. Looks like this is basically a no-go :) - thank you for the comprehensive replies!

It was basically to get a working ethernet interface with things I had lying around rather than selling a kidney :D

d.

philb

Postby philb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Yeah, oh well.

I have a box full of Ether1s, Ether3s and...er, something else, possibly EtherHs or EtherMs, somewhere. I can try to locate them if one of those would be useful.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:17 pm

:D indeed. But thank you Phil - anything 10baseT/DCI-4 would be useful and greatly appreciated. Not to worry if not though!

And also, welcome to the forum!

d.

philb

Postby philb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:36 pm

I had a bit of a rummage about and I found two Ether1 cards plus a bunch of EtherHs (among various other things I had forgotten about, including an MFM controller podule and a ColourCard!) So if you can make use of one of those then you're welcome to it. But neither is entirely straightforward...

The Ether1s will certainly work on old machines (they are A400/A680 vintage) but they are 10base2/AUI only. To connect them to a 10baseT network, which I assume is what you have, you will need either a 10base2 hub or an AUI transceiver. Also, one of the two Ether1s seems to have had its magnetics amputated at some point, though no doubt you could find an equivalent.

The EtherHs are 10baseT/10base2 which is more encouraging. But they have the "wrong" podule connector (straight not right-angle) fitted at the moment, which I think means they came out of an ARM7500-era machine. I am 75% confident that they would work on an ARM2/ARM3 based computer, and they certainly don't use the middle row of contacts, but you'd have to do a bit of tedious soldering to change the connector to a more appropriate one.

So, you can choose your poison I guess.

danielj

Postby danielj » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks Phil - in the EtherH stakes, I'm game for a bit of connector changing (it's easier than trying to run 10base2 around here). If you'd like me to do one, test it, then a bunch of them and send them back to you, I'm very happy to do so?

d.

philb

Postby philb » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Sounds like a good plan. I am in the US right now but I will be back home at the weekend so if you PM me your address I will send the cards over to you next week.

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Cheers Phil -PM'd.

d.

Return to “hardware”