Vectorlight's A3010 IDE mod : step by step guide

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
Ste

Re: Vectorlight's A3010 IDE mod : step by step guide

Postby Ste » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:22 pm

I think I've hit my first snag. The link for the electrolytic capacitors only allows you to select 400v ones, but they look way too big compared to the pictures. Does anyone know what they should be?

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:11 pm

16v, 25v, 50v or 63v is fine - all of those are available on that link? They only get 5V through them.

d.

Ste

Postby Ste » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:44 pm

Ah yeah, you're right. It's because I was selecting units before the voltage and only selecting 1. Looks like it has to be five or more or it defaults to 400. Well anyway I've got the right one now, thanks.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:05 am

Excellent. No harm in having a stash of caps for future use (always come in handy). With regard to magnifiers, I have one of these and it was dead useful when doing this project:

http://cpc.farnell.com/linear-tools/59- ... dp/PY31675

d.

Ste

Postby Ste » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:36 pm

Oh yeah I need one of those. I've found one slightly cheaper on Amazon so I'm going for that one. Thanks for the link though.

atcurtis

Postby atcurtis » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:16 pm

I'd like to order a board if possible... I live in the USA.

Ste

Postby Ste » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:09 pm

So I've almost recieved all of the components I need to start on this. The only one I couldn't get was the last one on the list as it's out of stock. I was going to leave it out as it's just for the overclocking part of the mod but now I'm thinking it might be worthwhile.

I was wondering if the overclocking might make some games unplayable though. For instance, I've got a copy of Speedball for the PC which was designed for old DOS based PCs, and when you play it on a modern PC it goes so fast you can't even see it move. Is that likely to be the case for any Archimedes games? If not then I guess I'll give it a go.

In which case, is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-Brand-Ne ... Swe-FU3SuK

the same as the part Vectorlight listed?

Ste

Postby Ste » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi, could someone have a look at what I've done so far as I have some doubts.

Board_5b.jpg
Board_4b.jpg

Firstly, I notice that my caps are slightly smaller than the ones in the original pictures (so much so that I didn't need to lay C4 horizontally). I'm a bit concerned that I've got the wrong ones again. Just to be sure I took a picture of them from the side showing the relevant information.

Caps_2.jpg

Also I had to pull out one of the IDE pins to make the header fit. I assume that's normal.

I left out C3 and R16 as I'm not doing the overclocking mod at this point.

Aside from that I suppose it's just making sure the resistors and stuff are all installed properly. Is there some way I can test that before I connect it?

If there's anything glaringly obvious that I've missed please let me know.

Cheers.

danielj

Postby danielj » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:41 am

Just check continuity for everything, and check no shorts. Next step is plug it in and put the riscos roms in, assuming you still boot, the it's time to start wiring everything else in. For the cable that goes under the podule connector, get that end soldered in first. Personally that's what I also did with all the other main board connections. Leave everything long, then trim later :)

d.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:14 am

Ste wrote:I was wondering if the overclocking might make some games unplayable though. For instance, I've got a copy of Speedball for the PC which was designed for old DOS based PCs, and when you play it on a modern PC it goes so fast you can't even see it move. Is that likely to be the case for any Archimedes games? If not then I guess I'll give it a go.

This shouldn't be the case with most games on the Archimedes, certainly any commercial releases written from around 1989 onwards (when the first ARM3 upgrades were available) because of the range of computer speeds at that time.

The biggest issue is with Archimedes games which time their speed to the V sync rate of the monitor, and assume this will be 50Hz (TV monitor). Most modern screens won't accept 50Hz, and require 70Hz for Archimedes game modes, resulting many games running a little faster if using a modern LCD SVGA screen... They should still be perfectly playable though, and there are many software patches to avoid this issue completely.

Ste

Postby Ste » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:03 pm

danielj wrote:Just check continuity for everything, and check no shorts. Next step is plug it in and put the riscos roms in, assuming you still boot, the it's time to start wiring everything else in. For the cable that goes under the podule connector, get that end soldered in first. Personally that's what I also did with all the other main board connections. Leave everything long, then trim later :)

d.

Ok, well I took the plunge and wired everything else up. Really shoddy job, I'll be surprised if it doesn't just blow up. :/

One connection I'm not sure of though, it's the yellow wire just above l!3. It goes to a little white square and it's got no label. Where does that go to???

Also in the instructions it says to hook up "from the ROM sockets":
- LA2-LA4
- D8-D15, D24-D31

What does that mean? I can't see anything from the ROM sockets with those labels.

steve3000 wrote:This shouldn't be the case with most games on the Archimedes, certainly any commercial releases written from around 1989 onwards (when the first ARM3 upgrades were available) because of the range of computer speeds at that time.

That's good to know, although I'm thinking maybe I'll skip it as I saw there were some issues with overheating in the other thread. I'm having a hard enough time with this mod tbh.

Ste

Postby Ste » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:53 pm

Ok, wait, the technical diagram has it marked as SYSCLI...and...nope, I still got nothing. :?

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:05 am

Simply by plugging the board into the ROM sockets you're picking up those signals. Re: yellow wire, I'm not sure what you mean. Can you post a picture?

d.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 am

Ahhh - worked it out. No, you don't need to connect that if you're not overclocking anything.

d.

Ste

Postby Ste » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:37 am

Ok! So it still boots up with the mod installed! So I guess I didn't kill it! :D

At first it did the:

RISC OS 4096k
Supervisor

thing. But then I did the 'hold down delete' method and it booted up, so I still have a basic A3010 if I can't get this to work at least.

I just need to find something to plug into it now. I have an old PC formatted hard disk, would that work or do I need to do something to it first for it to recognise it?

Alternatively, I have a CF card reader but it's for Amiga. Would it have to be a specific Archimedes model or are these things all the same?

This is the model I have:

CF_2.jpg

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:37 am

CF card - 1gb or less, *might* work - hit and miss. Old hard drive <=1gb, probably will, but you'll need to use !hform to initialise (same for the CF card). Do you have a way of getting things onto arc format floppy?

d.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:01 pm

> You'll also need to use control panel to set the number of IDE drives to 1 - or you can use *CONFIGURE IDEDISCS 1 from a command prompt. Your HDD will be drive 4.

d.

Ste

Postby Ste » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:49 pm

danielj wrote:CF card - 1gb or less, *might* work - hit and miss.

Ok, I'll try and find one. There's a post in anther thread that recommends a supposedly reliable 256mb one.

danielj wrote:Old hard drive <=1gb, probably will,

Hmm, that might be a problem. I don't have a 2.5" that small and I'm not sure where I could buy one these days, but I have a 3.5" drive that's 420mb. Would it work if I got one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/44Pin-Female-40Pin-Drive-Adapter/dp/B00TX42A4S/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1501956877&sr=8-24&keywords=3.5+to+2.5+ide+adapter

danielj wrote:but you'll need to use !hform to initialise (same for the CF card). Do you have a way of getting things onto arc format floppy?

d.

I've got !hform now, I copied this quote from another forum on how to copy files to Archimedes floppy:

One way would be to put the elite zip file on a pc formatted floppy and then format a second floppy on your acorn to adfs. Then unzip the file to the acorn formatted disc on your acorn.

Is that the best way to do it?

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:47 pm

essentially yes - you can put "sparkplug" onto a DOS formatted disk, likewise the zip with !hform in it. Then format an arc disc, and use a ram drive as an intermediary to copy the files across to the arc disk. You'll have to set the filetypes once on the arc disc.

Ram drive: https://everything2.com/title/How+to+cr ... on+RISC+OS

SparkPlug: http://www.davidpilling.net/free.html (get the self extracting version 2.26, set filetype to "BASIC")

Filetype for the zip file will need to be set to &DDC

Setting filetype example here (I realise it's riscos on the raspberry pi, but it's the same): https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5Vy ... os&f=false

Ste

Postby Ste » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Ok thanks. I'll give it a shot once I get hold of a CF card.

Ste

Postby Ste » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:32 am

Well, I managed to get a 256mb CF card, but predictably I'm having problems.:T

Firstly, with getting !hform to run on the Archimedes: I managed to copy it over with a DOS formatted floppy. Then when I use Sparkplug on it I end up with an ADF file. Not sure what to do with it. I tried changing the type to BASIC but that didn't seem to do it.

Then I managed to find a version of !hform on my Applications disk. I was able to run it, and through some miracle it detected the CF card, so I guess I got something right! But it failed to format and gave me the error:

abort on data transfer at &038E2570 at line 2475

I thought maybe it was a faulty CF card so I swapped it out for an actual HDD (80gb which is probably too large), and it also failed saying:

abort on data transfer at &038E2054 at line 2475

So now I'm thinking maybe it's the copy of !hform which gave me a warning that my drive might not be compatible, and it only gave me 4 options of drive at the start: 3 of them were rather small Conner Peripherals drives and option 4 was 'Other' which I selected.

The copy that I downloaded came from this page:

http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/arculator/download.html

It says it supports HDDs up to 32gb, is that the version I should be using?

Trapper

Postby Trapper » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 pm

*STICKY*

Just leaving this post here to remind me to come back and reply tomorrow.

I've got every version of !HForm on my A3010 CF-card as I was attempting to get ADFS to recognise newer drives and cards.

This is a brilliant hack, but it is a hack. You end up with the same problems that A3020 owners have or those of us (including me) who have a Castle IDE mini-podule - the version of ADFS in ROM with 3.1x is shite for hard drives.

I have used IDEFS on my Castle podule - the Whizzo version. The first partition on the first drive needs to remain ADFS formatted, but anything further on can be deployed using the IDEFS tools which are far more forgiving.

For me I've had to use one type of CF adapter and one type of 256MB CF card to get ADFS !HForm to recognise it. However as I have a dual CF adapter instead of an identical 256MB CF Card I can put a 1GB one in using IDEFS. The only problem I have is when I removed the battery last year I didn't put a new one on, so my *CONFIGURE(s) are lost at each power on. Have to change IDEDiscs to 1, Drive to 4, and Boot On. Then Ctrl+Break and the !Boot sequence will then load a !Configure saved state.

I assume this hack still will not work with an Adelaide? Can you remove the Adelaide and replace it with a standard ARM250?

Trapper

Postby Trapper » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Could you softload ADFS from RISC OS 3.5/.6/.7/.71 onto a RISC OS 3.1x machine?

If so wouldn't this version of ADFS be more forgiving about the type of CF card or spinning rust?

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Trapper wrote:I assume this hack still will not work with an Adelaide? Can you remove the Adelaide and replace it with a standard ARM250?

Works fine with Adelaide, just a bit less space under the lid. The SuperIO floppy and ide controller (82C710) chip is completely separate to the Arm250/Adelaide.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:19 pm

Trapper wrote:Could you softload ADFS from RISC OS 3.5/.6/.7/.71 onto a RISC OS 3.1x machine?

If so wouldn't this version of ADFS be more forgiving about the type of CF card or spinning rust?

Good idea, but doesn't work unfortunately, as the RiscPC (which runs RO 3.5 and later) uses a different floppy/ide controller chip. :(

Best solution I can think of would be to burn a set of modified RISC OS 3.1 ROMs, containing the Wizzo IDEFS software, or rig up a simple ROM board using the expansion connector to load Wizzo (but this uses up the only expansion connector, which I'm trying to avoid).

I'm hoping to test the modified ROMs idea out one day...

Ste

Postby Ste » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:58 am

Trapper wrote:I've got every version of !HForm on my A3010 CF-card as I was attempting to get ADFS to recognise newer drives and cards.

So do you know which one is right for this? I've got a whole bunch of them: 2.48, 2.51, 2.56 and a couple of others. I get messages saying I need RISC OS 3.6 or something.

Trapper wrote:The first partition on the first drive needs to remain ADFS formatted

So does that mean IDEFS is no good for me unless I can get !hform running first?

I should probably mention that when I verified the drive it came back with 150 defects (it's second hand) which might be part of the problem. I tried typing them all in (yes, I actually did that ](*,) ) to see if it would avoid the errors and hopefully start working, but no such luck.:T

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:36 am

It's not defects, it's just a CF card that doesn't get on with the Acorn ADFS IDE implementation. I should say, the problem persists in the RiscPC so even if you *could* get the relevant modules working from a RiscPC it wouldn't change the situation.

Solutions: Known Working Disc On Module, Known working CF Card, Known working SD-IDE Interface.

If you want to know whether the interface itself is actually working, use the WizzoFS disc:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11247&hilit=wizzo#p140562

And you'll need the formatting program from the subsequent post?

d.

Ste

Postby Ste » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 am

danielj wrote:It's not defects, it's just a CF card that doesn't get on with the Acorn ADFS IDE implementation.

Aw man, I wish I'd known that 150 defects ago! :lol: Still, good news that's it's not defective.

danielj wrote:If you want to know whether the interface itself is actually working, use the WizzoFS disc:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11247&hilit=wizzo#p140562

And you'll need the formatting program from the subsequent post?

That's brilliant, thanks! I'll give it a go.

Ste

Postby Ste » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:44 am

OMG it totally works!!! \:D/
IDE_1.jpg

I'm stunned that I actually got this to work considering how much of a noob I am. Thanks for all the advice Daniel, I'm sure I'd still be puzzling over which capacitors to buy without your help! :D

Now to put all that hard work to use in the most constructive way possible - GAMES! :mrgreen:

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:35 am

Well done! As hardware mods go, this one is fairly full on, so you should give yourself a massive pat on the back! Definitely no longer a noob :D

d.

Return to “hardware”