Today I overclocked my A3010

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
vectorlight

Today I overclocked my A3010

Postby vectorlight » Sat May 28, 2016 1:47 pm

Having shelved my A3010 mezanine version due to having one issue after another (Bad VIDC now #-o ). I decided to get back to overclocking my regular A3010 by removing the 4mb 70ns RAM on the IFEL expansion board and replacing it with some sockets and some faster 60ns RAM which, seems to not mind being run at about 40ns :D

The A3010 motherboard is one of the later ones which rather helpfully have a space just waiting for a new crystal to be added. I put a socket in so I can swap crystals to see what speeds it can do :D

24MHZ and 14.60 MIPS :shock: It feels like a new machine and, strangly seems solid and reliable, have not had any issues with it yet.

Now, if only I could get my other mezannine A3010 sorted and upgraded to an ARM3 and 24MHZ memory... [-o<
Last edited by vectorlight on Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
3D Printing and Acorn A3010 Owner!

Zarchos

Re: Today I overclocked my A3010

Postby Zarchos » Sat May 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Wow !
This is very impressive !
Have you tried to RMFaster as many modules as you can to feel an even greater speed gain when using RISC OS ?

What brand are the DRAMs, I can't see that on your pictures ?

Have you plugged any minipodule to see if it is still reliable ?

While on the subject of RAM, what would be necessary to unsolder the existing RAM chips on the motherboards to directly solder sockets + insert 2 chips to get 4 Mbytes ?
Could they be recognized by any jumper configuration (if it's a 'yes' : which one ?), or would it be necessary to cut some tracks somewhere and/or solder a few wires ?
4 Mbyte memory upgrade for the A3010 is hard to find, it would be great to have another solution, working directly onto the motherboard.
In theory it should even give better results when overcolocked.

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Sat May 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Thanks Zarchos!

I'm unsure how to use RMFaster or even what it does #-o . I need to do some research I think :D
Regarding the DRAMs they have this marking on them: MT4C1M16C3DJ-6 http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/75889/MICRON/MT4C1M16C3DJ-6.html It does say they should be available in 50ns as well, though I have yet to find any for sale. The 2 chips I used I had in my box of junk chips from many years ago and the 4MB expansion board I got from CJE Micros for £70 a bit expensive I know :shock:

I have a twin CF card/Castle IDE interface in the mini podule and CD drive in the parallel socket and they work no problems. I can't fault it yet.

I'm not sure about mounting 4MB of RAM directly on the motherboard, it should be possible but is beyond my technical ability to work that out I'm afraid, perhaps someone else knows the answer to this? It would be great to be able to do this without buying an expansion board :)

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Sat May 28, 2016 2:46 pm

I see what you mean about RMFaster :D Out of interest, is the a post somewhere with some recommendations as to which modules to use with RMFaster? I searched the forum but no information :lol:

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sat May 28, 2016 5:04 pm

MMMhh I can't tell you for RMFastering modules but if you use Uniboot I believe it's got all the latest versions of modules so you'll have 'ready to use' modules running in RAM, without much effort.

Back to your little experiment of overclocking the A3010, I've got some additional questions :
- do you intend to try an 80Mhz crystal ? :twisted:
- after a couple of hours is the ARM250 and/or the DRAMs really hot ? Will you use sthing like passive heatsink for the 3 chips ?
I think I'd do that because your increase in frequency is a massive one. :wink:

I'm glad your experiment demonstrates failures to overclock over 14 Mhz wasn't down to RISC OS and the initial tests it runs ... it means hacking RISC OS isn't necessary to overclock the Archies.

Now I'd like to know if it's possible to flash some new RISC OS Eproms and have them run faster, but I don't think it'll bring any speed improvement because speed is given by a few bits in a MEMC register (Control Register if I reckon correctly), and there are only 3 choices anyway, and the fastest choice is already the selected value for the A3010, if I remember correctly.

PS : If you want to gaze at your speedy A3010, run the 'Xtreme demo' : there are some sequences where having more power will give you a much better framerate.
http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems ... cos/demos/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKAA2HrnTDI

munchausen

Postby munchausen » Sat May 28, 2016 8:46 pm

Wow, awesome! I have the simtec 4MB upgrade in mine that has two zip chips and four other RAM chips (so it wouldn't work with this). I didn't realise the RAM upgrades could be so simple, as mine also has some other IC on it. Are there any components on the back of the board? It looks like it would be quite easy to produce a clone. The 50ns versions of those micron parts are readily available :)

How well does it run doom? 8)

paulv

Postby paulv » Sun May 29, 2016 12:39 am

That's very cool...

What are the part numbers for the RAM chips and sockets? Anyone with an IFEL board and a rework station could attempt this mod then :D

@Andrew, when you read this thread... yes, you could do this to your ARM3 A3010 as you have the IFEL RAM board too....

Paul

AndyMc1280

Postby AndyMc1280 » Sun May 29, 2016 1:41 am

:shock:

Well I've already got the CPU and FPU at 30 MHz. I would dearly love faster ram. Where do I get the chips :lol:

@Mr Vernon, I noticed you said "when", not "if" :lol:

2.40 am is late even for me....

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun May 29, 2016 5:51 am

munchausen wrote:Wow, awesome! I have the simtec 4MB upgrade in mine that has two zip chips and four other RAM chips (so it wouldn't work with this). I didn't realise the RAM upgrades could be so simple, as mine also has some other IC on it. Are there any components on the back of the board? It looks like it would be quite easy to produce a clone. The 50ns versions of those micron parts are readily available :)

How well does it run doom? 8)

Link ?

Like you I thought of Doom after sending my message ... it should be great to play now.

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Sun May 29, 2016 6:54 am

paulv wrote:What are the part numbers for the RAM chips and sockets?

The sockets are SOJ-42P-400, should be some on ebay. The RAM is MT4C1M16C3DJ-6, http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/75889/MICRON/MT4C1M16C3DJ-6.html. I can't guarantee these will always overclock by so much but.... The sockets needed filing down on the sides to fit on the IFEL board its a tight fit. :shock:

As for Doom, I need to buy a copy (or download) is it free? :?

Well I've already got the CPU and FPU at 30 MHz. I would dearly love faster ram. Where do I get the chips

Yep ARM3 & Fast RAM great idea :D

The 50ns versions of those micron parts are readily available

Like Zarchos said, a link to these would be great :)

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Sun May 29, 2016 7:01 am

Zarchos wrote:Back to your little experiment of overclocking the A3010, I've got some additional questions :
- do you intend to try an 80Mhz crystal ? :twisted:
- after a couple of hours is the ARM250 and/or the DRAMs really hot ? Will you use sthing like passive heatsink for the 3 chips ?

I haven't tried 80mhz, I'll need to source some more crystals :) The ARM250 gets warm, not hot though. The RAM doesn't even get warm gets hot so will stick some heat sinks on them :shock: .

Zarchos wrote:PS : If you want to gaze at your speedy A3010, run the 'Xtreme demo' : there are some sequences where having more power will give you a much better framerate.
http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems ... cos/demos/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKAA2HrnTDI

Thanks for the link, I'll give some of those demos a spin later today :D

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun May 29, 2016 8:04 am

It's true the sockets can be found on Ebay, and it's cheap :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QTY-15-42-PIN ... xyzi9SdyZJ

Am I dreaming when thinking there's a solution with a lever, to be able to extract easily the chips once inserted ?
Additionally, what tool is used to do that with the type of socket listed above ? (a reference would be great).

@VectorLight :
I don't understand how you can solder them.
You use some kind of oven ? And the plastic resists ? Or you heat the upper part of the pins (with a very thin tip for CMS for example) and it ends up melting the solder previously put onto the corresponding pads on the PCB ?
I've seen some videos on Youtube but I'm curious to know what equipment you've got to be able to do that properly.(pro, semi-pro, handmade, or using the oven in your kitchen :? ).
It's sthing I don't master at all, but I'm very interested by.
Could you list your equipment to do such job, people out there who own one ?

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Sun May 29, 2016 8:50 am

Hi Zarchos,

I used a hot air station to remove the existing chips and to install the sockets they first needed filing down slightly to fit onto the board. To solder them on I had to cut out the base of the socket and just soldered the base of the pins to the pads using a regular soldering iron. I'm sure you can use an over or something to avoid cutting the base out but its beyond me #-o You can use a special extractor tool to remove the chips from the socket if needed. I'm not a pro by any means :D

As for your earlier questions regarding heat sinks. Some bad news, I managed to crash my A3010. :( I did some more tests, this time using a game that puts the ARM to good use, namely Star Fighter 3000. With no heatsink the game crashes after a minute or so when the RAMs are too hot. Fitting heatsinks to the RAMs helps but the game eventually crashed again. So, I backed the speed down to 22MHZ and, with heatsinks on the RAM it was stable. I am considering fitting a tiny cooling fan to see how that helps when running at 24mhz and faster.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Sun May 29, 2016 12:19 pm

vectorlight wrote:24MHZ and 14.57 MIPS :shock: It feels like a new machine and, strangly seems solid and reliable, have not had any issues with it yet.

That is quite amazing!

But you're under-selling this to say is a RAM overclock - if I understand correctly what you've done, you've overclocked the RAM and ARM250 CPU to 24MHz. That's ARM 3 speed (same as an A4 laptop) in fact that's faster than some early ARM 3 upgrades which ran at 20MHz. But your overclock is getting better MIPS (my A5000 manages about 13.5 MIPS), because on your ARM250 there's no cache - and so everything is now running at 24MHz. :twisted:

I've not heard of anyone managing to overclock the ARM250 by this much before. That makes one very fast machine!

I'd suggest a heatsink on the ARM250 as well as the RAM. Let us know how it goes with a small fan in there, hopefully you'll get 24Mhz nice and stable. :D

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Sun May 29, 2016 12:26 pm

vectorlight wrote:Now, if only I could get my other mezannine A3010 sorted and upgraded to an ARM3 and 24MHZ memory... [-o<

If you can get 24MHz stable on the ARM250, then I'd stay with this because I suspect your A3010 with a ARM3 at 25Mhz might actually be slower than what you've achieved here! :shock:

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun May 29, 2016 1:28 pm

steve3000 wrote:
vectorlight wrote:Now, if only I could get my other mezannine A3010 sorted and upgraded to an ARM3 and 24MHZ memory... [-o<

If you can get 24MHz stable on the ARM250, then I'd stay with this because I suspect your A3010 with a ARM3 at 25Mhz might actually be slower than what you've achieved here! :shock:

Hi Steve.
Do you mean the caching system in an ARM3, amounts to memory running slower than at 25 Mhz ?

About cooling the DRAMs I wonder if the fact they are now socketed won't be an obstacle to optimal cooling, with these added obstacles (ie the sockets, one 'glued' to the other one) to the sides and underneath the chips ... it's not the best for the air ciculation.

JonC

Postby JonC » Sun May 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Zarchos wrote:
steve3000 wrote:
vectorlight wrote:About cooling the DRAMs I wonder if the fact they are now socketed won't be an obstacle to optimal cooling, with these added obstacles (ie the sockets, one 'glued' to the other one) to the sides and underneath the chips ... it's not the best for the air ciculation.

Some self adhesive chipset heatsinks can probably do the trick there. That combined with good airflow should really help.
Jon

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Sun May 29, 2016 5:37 pm

steve3000 wrote:But you're under-selling this to say is a RAM overclock - if I understand correctly what you've done, you've overclocked the RAM and ARM250 CPU to 24MHz. That's ARM 3 speed (same as an A4 laptop) in fact that's faster than some early ARM 3 upgrades which ran at 20MHz. But your overclock is getting better MIPS (my A5000 manages about 13.5 MIPS), because on your ARM250 there's no cache - and so everything is now running at 24MHz.

Hi Steve,

That's right, as the ARM250 clock is tied to the memory clock they are both running at 22MHZ. I did have it at 24MHZ but its just a bit unreliable. Even at 22MHZ its doing 13.4 MIPS so a little slower than a (25MHZ?) ARM3 A5000. :D

I think the ARM250 itself could go quite a bit faster (It gets warm, but not hot at 22MHZ) if it wasn't for the RAMs slowing it down. Just need some 50ns RAMs and that should solve the heating problem =P~

It can go to 24MHZ, sadly theres very little room for a fan as the memory expansion is sat right under the keyboard.

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Sun May 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Zarchos wrote:Do you mean the caching system in an ARM3, amounts to memory running slower than at 25 Mhz ?

Cache hits (both instructions and data reads) take 1 cycle on ARM3, whereas they will vary between 1 and 2 cycles (N and S cycles) on 2/250. Cache misses and writes are always at memory speed.

ARM3 also doesn't stall during video DMA when it hits the cache, unlike 250 which will always stall.

In practice an ARM3 is probably faster than an ARM250 at the same speed on most stuff, unless the ARM3 system has a very slow memory bus (is 8mhz slow enough for this? Not sure).

munchausen

Postby munchausen » Sun May 29, 2016 6:10 pm

So are there any parts on the back of the IFEL boards? Any chance the next person to do this mod could take a picture of both sides of the PCB when the RAM ICs are removed? I'd like to make a clone...

For those that have asked, the 50ns parts are available here, for about £4 a piece.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun May 29, 2016 7:13 pm

munchausen wrote:So are there any parts on the back of the IFEL boards? Any chance the next person to do this mod could take a picture of both sides of the PCB when the RAM ICs are removed? I'd like to make a clone...

For those that have asked, the 50ns parts are available here, for about £4 a piece.

No there are no parts on the other side, and I can do better than take a picture.
I've been in contact with Steve Picton and bought the remaining very small stock of unpopulated boards he had... like you, with the idea to create some brand new ones (with more or less no objection from Steve).
I intend to recreate the board with Eagle or similar. (Linked to this huge technoshop in Paris where I'll be in a month now).

If you're in a hurry I can send you a picture ; but if you can wait for about a month, I can send you the eagle file.

Z. (never sleeping).
Last edited by Zarchos on Sun May 29, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Sun May 29, 2016 7:18 pm

munchausen wrote:So are there any parts on the back of the IFEL boards? Any chance the next person to do this mod could take a picture of both sides of the PCB when the RAM ICs are removed? I'd like to make a clone...

I've got another IFEL board which is currently broken (Some pads lifted and broke off :cry: ). I'll take a picture of the back and front. There are no components on the back. I'll get you some pictures soon. Thanks for the link too :D

If you or Zarchos can clone this I imagine they'd be plenty of interest. :D I'm assuming these IFEL boards only work in the A3010 and not the A3020/4000? #-o

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun May 29, 2016 7:27 pm

vectorlight wrote:

I've got another IFEL board which is currently broken (Some pads lifted and broke off :cry: ). I'll take a picture of the back and front. There are no components on the back. I'll get you some pictures soon. Thanks for the link too :D

If you or Zarchos can clone this I imagine they'd be plenty of interest. :D I'm assuming these IFEL boards only work in the A3010 and not the A3020/4000? #-o

I believe it's only for the A3010, yes.
The issue nevertheless remains the pins : these connectors aren't built anymore and it's why these expansions aren't sold by IFEL anymore.
There are some which look similar but they don't have the right spacing and I think neither the right diametre.
The last upgrade I got from Steve had the right shape for the pins, but they are too short (I'd say about 3 millimetres too short) so you can't plug in the daughterboard : it is repelled by the female onboard connectors.
It's why I keep asking for help to have people from this board who are good at reading electronics schematics tell us what would be necessary to directly work onto the motherboard.

Pardon my English, I'm knocked this evening.

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Sun May 29, 2016 7:59 pm

Zarchos wrote:The issue nevertheless remains the pins : these connectors aren't built anymore and it's why these expansions aren't sold by IFEL anymore.
There are some which look similar but they don't have the right spacing and I think neither the right diametre.
The last upgrade I got from Steve had the right shape for the pins, but they are too short (I'd say about 3 millimetres too short) so you can't plug in the daughterboard : it is repelled by the female onboard connectors.
It's why I keep asking for help to have people from this board who are good at reading electronics schematics tell us what would be necessary to directly work onto the motherboard.

Sorry I'm not good at reading PCB schematics either :( . I'm not sure where to get the pins from.

It may be easier to use normal header pins and solder the "upgrade board" directly onto the motherboard (after removing the old sockets). I know that means you can't remove the RAM upgrade but who would want to? #-o

If the original pins are now obsolete and you cannot get hold of any more then I don't know what you could use as a replacement? :(

AndyMc1280

Postby AndyMc1280 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:40 pm

vectorlight wrote:
steve3000 wrote:But you're under-selling this to say is a RAM overclock - if I understand correctly what you've done, you've overclocked the RAM and ARM250 CPU to 24MHz. That's ARM 3 speed (same as an A4 laptop) in fact that's faster than some early ARM 3 upgrades which ran at 20MHz. But your overclock is getting better MIPS (my A5000 manages about 13.5 MIPS), because on your ARM250 there's no cache - and so everything is now running at 24MHz.

Hi Steve,

That's right, as the ARM250 clock is tied to the memory clock they are both running at 22MHZ. I did have it at 24MHZ but its just a bit unreliable. Even at 22MHZ its doing 13.4 MIPS so a little slower than a (25MHZ?) ARM3 A5000. :D

I think the ARM250 itself could go quite a bit faster (It gets warm, but not hot at 22MHZ) if it wasn't for the RAMs slowing it down. Just need some 50ns RAMs and that should solve the heating problem =P~

It can go to 24MHZ, sadly theres very little room for a fan as the memory expansion is sat right under the keyboard.

Hi Both, My Adelaide A3010 for comparison running the Arm 3 at 25 MHz produced 13.74 Mips. This is with the memory at 12 Mhz (theres a separate clock crystal for the CPU/FPU on the upgrade board)

With my 5 Mhz Overclock to 30 Mhz of the Arm 3 the figure rose to 15.7 Mips (no screens yet sorry.) this is with the ram STILL running at 12 Mhz. So getting faster ram would give it a serious boost and is still VERY worth doing on an Adelaide Machine, I am off to order some chips lol.

Andrew

AndyMc1280

Postby AndyMc1280 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:14 pm

Ordered, will see what turns up in about 3 weeks :lol:

munchausen

Postby munchausen » Sun May 29, 2016 10:09 pm

Zarchos wrote:I believe it's only for the A3010, yes.
The issue nevertheless remains the pins : these connectors aren't built anymore and it's why these expansions aren't sold by IFEL anymore.

Pardon my English, I'm knocked this evening.

The simplest solution is just to remove those pin headers and put some standard 2.54mm ones on instead. It would help to know what length and diameter the pins need to be. Next time I have my 3010 out I'll grab the calipers! Another option is to use a 1.27mm header with a low diameter and push out every other pin. This would be a pain but is doable and easier than soldering each individual pin into place. See e.g. http://www.rapidonline.com/fischer-male ... ins-537230

Is it possible something like this would fit? Price is pretty steep though.

If we wanted enough of them it might be possible to have some manufactured, but I'm not sure demand is that great.

BTW if I can get photos of the boards I might be able to draw something up this week. I only really wanted to see what the resistors are for. If we are going to make a number of them it might be better to look for the most easily available/fastest RAMs - we needn't be bothered by matching any specific footprint. The fastest compatible RAM I've found goes down to 28ns, but they are only 0.5MB each so you would need eight of them. Assuming that would work electrically, is there much extra room for a bigger PCB? The A3010 doesn't need self refresh parts, right?

poink

Postby poink » Sun May 29, 2016 11:17 pm

Zarchos wrote:It's why I keep asking for help to have people from this board who are good at reading electronics schematics tell us what would be necessary to directly work onto the motherboard.

Not seen you ask for the A3010; but the principle is pretty much identical to the A3000.

The A3010 was designed to be upgraded to 4M - hence the ability to install a 4MB upgrade by setting jumpers, and without soldering. The IFEL board just allows the use of two 1Mx16 SOJ-42 RAM ICs rather than two 1Mx16 ZIP-40 RAM ICs.

If you found 1Mx16 ZIP-40 DRAM, dropped it in the sockets; changed the jumpers (same as the IFEL upgrade) you'd have 4MB. The problem is that it doesn't seem that capacity is available in that package. I suspect that the IFEL upgrade exists as a carrier board because the aforementioned RAM was never available or near impossible to obtain. (The IFEL upgrade is only a pinout adaptor - there's nothing 'clever' on it - the thing that stops just anyone making one is those connectors!)

In principle you could do it entirely on the board byswapping the existing 40 pin 256kx16 SOJ chips for 40 pin 1Mx16 SOJ chips, then hooking RA9 on the chips to RA9 of the MEMC - which you'd probably grab via LK21 pin 2 or LK22 pin 3. The problem here much the same problem with fitting large ZIP DRAMs in the previous paragraph - all the 1Mx16 SOJ chips I can find seem to be 42 pin, which means they won't fit the 40 pin footprints for the 256Kx16 DRAMs. (This is a bit odd because, there's plenty of not connected pins on the 40 pin packages that could have been used).

The solution - in the absence of the connectors IFEL used, or someone finding suitable chips - is probably along the lines of simply replacing/removing the sockets (and the base RAM if necessary) which would then allow you to make the connections from an IFEL-like carrier board (indeed from one of the ones you got from IFEL would work) with ordinary pin headers.

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Mon May 30, 2016 9:41 am

AndyMc1280 wrote:Hi Both, My Adelaide A3010 for comparison running the Arm 3 at 25 MHz produced 13.74 Mips. This is with the memory at 12 Mhz (theres a separate clock crystal for the CPU/FPU on the upgrade board)

With my 5 Mhz Overclock to 30 Mhz of the Arm 3 the figure rose to 15.7 Mips (no screens yet sorry.) this is with the ram STILL running at 12 Mhz. So getting faster ram would give it a serious boost and is still VERY worth doing on an Adelaide Machine, I am off to order some chips lol.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Impressive numbers from an A3010, you'll be looking at nearly 20Mips with faster RAM I imagine :D I was hoping to do the same (minus the FPU) but one issue after another makes me think I can live with an overclocked ARM250.

The main reason for doing this was to make the A3010 desktop more usable at 640x480 and I'm super happy with the speed it is now, though the 50ns chips are too tempting... :)

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Mon May 30, 2016 10:36 am

munchausen wrote:BTW if I can get photos of the boards I might be able to draw something up this week. I only really wanted to see what the resistors are for. If we are going to make a number of them it might be better to look for the most easily available/fastest RAMs - we needn't be bothered by matching any specific footprint. The fastest compatible RAM I've found goes down to 28ns, but they are only 0.5MB each so you would need eight of them. Assuming that would work electrically, is there much extra room for a bigger PCB? The A3010 doesn't need self refresh parts, right?

Here you go munchausen:

Is that enough to clone the board? :D

Return to “hardware”