first post / introduction

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
iddod

first post / introduction

Postby iddod » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:20 pm

hi all...
just a quick courtesy post to say hello...

i'm from Leeds, and i'm 50 (nearly)

i had a beeb in my bedsit for 6 months or so in 1984, when i was 16... it was the first computer i spent any proper time with, i don't remember seeing any in school, although i did use them on a YTS course in late 84 and a few mates had speccies and c64's that i got to play a few games on, but that 6 months with a copy of chuckie egg made a lasting impression... :)

i've owned a couple of beebs over the years, purely for gaming really, but each one eventually died on me, i resorted to using my electron for beebish gaming and resigned myself to not having a working full fat beeb (i still have my 2 non workers), that was until saturday when i took possession my new baby, bought from a good friend, who bought it from RetroClinic, so it's in great condition inside and out...

it came with a multi game eprom installed (chuckie, missile, snapper & zalaga), as well as a micro sd card reader and the SPI eprom... (i dumped both the eproms, just to be on the safe side), however, the computer came with absolutely no documentation, so there's a couple of things i can't figure out yet, i'm doing some internet reading and picking up bits that i've forgotten over the years, for instance i'd bought a Turbo MMC for one of my older beebs before it died on me, so i still remembered a couple of the commands to get the menu up the screen to select the game i wanted to play (that's the important bit, right?).. but there's still a lot i need to learn or re-learn, so i may well be popping up hereabouts to take advantage of your superior knowledge, if that's ok...

here's a simple question though, that will probably be obvious to all here... i plugged my old dual cumana drive into this beeb and it's not being seen... do i need to install a separate DFS rom? or should the SPI rom cater for a real drive and i'm missing something obvious? also, is there any docs for the SPI? i've not come across any in the last few days using google, is there a hidden resource somewhere?

anyway...
happy to be here

bobbi iddod
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

Multiwizard

Re: first post / introduction

Postby Multiwizard » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Acorn Attic, Wim... :-)

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 pm

welcome Bob :)

the SPI rom will only 'talk' to your MMC interface card.
You will need a 8271 or 1770 FDC , some chips , links & DFS rom to talk to disc's.
ImageImageImage

iddod

Postby iddod » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:40 pm

thanks guys...

my working beeb is an issue 4, so i'm assuming the disk controller chip would sit in the (currently empty) IC78 socket...
i know for a fact that one of my non working puters must have those chips cos i used to use the dual drives i mentioned with that one... so once i manage to dig them out of whatever hole i stored them in, i should be able to swap them into this beeb and i'm away... not that i'm in a rush, i have plenty to keep me busy on the sd card for the time being... i very much appreciate the quick help though, thank you, i knew i'd come to the right place.. =D>
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Welcome, Bob. :D
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Welcome! :D

danielj

Postby danielj » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Hullo Bob :)
Welcome! If that beeb hasn't had a disc interface in it before, there are a few more things that need doing before it will talk to a disk drive - see page 28 here:

http://wiki.itmuseum.in.ua/images/8/8b/ ... 5_Sec1.pdf

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Welcome to the Forum, iddod . . . Enjoy . . .

Hope you get your Beeb sorted!

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:39 am

i like people who want to read docs :) ,
turbo mmc and beeb mmc are old stuff , there is new ROMs like SMART SPI rom and the other one ( what was it called :roll: #-o )

google on smart spi or look here , it will direct you to reading stuff ( docs)

so allso want to read about EEPROM ( the [-o< ) :) at28c256 chip

there are updates around for the beeb.mmb file

a lot of games are fixed.

so no time to play , but study !!!

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Welcome,
Most of the docs for the turbo mmc apply to smart spi.
If you are planning on using the floppy, read the cautionary posts.
Have a look at bbcmicro.co.uk for some more modern 2000+ games to add to your beeb.mmc and lookup *DBOOT

martinw

Postby martinw » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Welcome Bob :)

I've just gone 50 too and grew up around that neck of the woods (ish).

Check this thread out :wink:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... ops#p97028

Martin

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Welcome bobbi,
For all things BBC micro related you have come to the right place full of very helpful people.
Enjoy, Peter.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:08 pm

Welcome Bob!

So you have 2 non-working beebs? Are you up for the challenge of trying to get them working again? :D
Paul

iddod

Postby iddod » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:54 pm

once more, thank you all very much for the welcome and the info...
i'm working my way through your replies (i have SO many browser tabs open atm), but briefly...

Danielj - cheers, i have the user manual, service manual, dfs manual etc on my android pad and i'm brushing up on them in the bath... i'll check out page 28 when i get my bath tonight... :D

Duikkie - my smart spi rom is v.0.90... is that the current version? if not, is it worth me blowing a newer one?

MartinW - thread read... memories jogged... reply left... :) (btw, i was in heckmondwike yesterday, i'm a multi drop delivery driver and i'm down there a few times most weeks)

DutchAcorn - i made a token effort on each of them when they first went, but i intend to try again at some point... at the very least i have them to cannibalise for parts (floppy controller chips, turbo mmc, solidisk rom board, etc)

bobbi iddod
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:01 am

Look in the smartest item for the latest version of smart spi something with smartest 1613 ? I do not know anymore ;) the all have 0.90 because that is from dfs v0.90 . You can look in the rom loc &9338 what the jmps en jsr are

iddod

Postby iddod » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:40 pm

i don't understand most of that, sorry... :?
i got the 0.90 from the first line of the rom's code... i'm looking at the rom dump i made from the eprom in HxD... there's also a section further down the code that reads...
"SPI 0.10. çÿ¢.©.†µ…¿¢.© îÿ îÿ ý¶ çÿÆ¿Ðî` 9¶DUTILS by Martin Mather ..MODIFIED by duikkie 2015" does that narrow it down?
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

iddod

Postby iddod » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm

the last version i could find mention of on this forum was your post here http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9208&hilit=smartest&start=150#p129221
which, as you mention, is 1613... i'll grab that and compare it with the one i have, cheers :)

EDIT : grabbed it, and realised it's a floppy image, not a rom image... #-o
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:11 pm

iddod wrote:the last version i could find mention of on this forum was your post here http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9208&hilit=smartest&start=150#p129221 which, as you mention, is 1613... i'll grab that and compare it with the one i have, cheers :) EDIT : grabbed it, and realised it's a floppy image, not a rom image... #-o

I believe version 1613 of SmartSPI is attached to this post:

:?:

Most of duikkie's stuff seems to be scattered all over the forum and quite hard to find -- even for duikkie himself!

:roll:

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:17 pm

I am terrible in searching things at home i have a system :) mostly first in last out :?

I am a little bit older then 18

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:29 am

Hopefully you have the rom by now, if not, I think the rom is on the disc image. You can extract it with the MMC utilities or been. If not, I'll dig out mine and post it tonight.

iddod

Postby iddod » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:22 pm

lurkio wrote:I believe version 1613 of SmartSPI is attached to this post:

thank you lurkio, i grabbed that and used HxC to compare it with the dump i made of the eprom in my beeb, they're identical... so it looks like i'm up to date... yay... =D>

i managed to find time earlier to sit with the beeb and play around with the file command sheets i was pointed to, *DONBOOT was handy cos although 4 floppy images were placed in the drive slots, 2 of them were picture slideshows, so they're now replaced with a couple of games for the time being... (i'd downloaded the STH 2017 beeb.mmb file and had a nosey at that, so i'll probably replace the the beeb.mmb i'm using with it... Magic Mushrooms isn't working on any beeb.mmb that i currently have though, is that normal?)
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 pm

on this forum , there is a beeb.mmb version from me , with fixed games :) look for it

iddod wrote:
lurkio wrote:I believe version 1613 of SmartSPI is attached to this post:

thank you lurkio, i grabbed that and used HxC to compare it with the dump i made of the eprom in my beeb, they're identical... so it looks like i'm up to date... yay... =D>

i managed to find time earlier to sit with the beeb and play around with the file command sheets i was pointed to, *DONBOOT was handy cos although 4 floppy images were placed in the drive slots, 2 of them were picture slideshows, so they're now replaced with a couple of games for the time being... (i'd downloaded the STH 2017 beeb.mmb file and had a nosey at that, so i'll probably replace the the beeb.mmb i'm using with it... Magic Mushrooms isn't working on any beeb.mmb that i currently have though, is that normal?)

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:31 pm

You could also try the .ssd from bbcmicro.co.uk, put it in a spare slot and *DBOOT

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 pm

iddod wrote:Magic Mushrooms isn't working on any beeb.mmb that i currently have though, is that normal?)

Magic Mushrooms in this BEEB.MMB file works in BeebEm (with MMBeeb emulation):

:?:

iddod

Postby iddod » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:19 pm

ace, thank you...
i'll have a go with both those options when i finish tinkering with my custom 4 in 1 eprom that i'm trying to get my head around...
does anyone know how to change the yellow title text on the Frak rom, so it's white, like regular roms? (currently, when i *help it shows the game's name in yellow text, and it'd be nice to either change it to white or to alter the other 3 games to match)
Last edited by iddod on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

iddod

Postby iddod » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:22 pm

btw, i really can't thank you all enough for the help, hints and tips you've given me so far...
there's still a hell of a lot that i need to get my head around, but i'm remembering things i didn't even realise i'd forgotten...
and you guys are making the whole process a lot easier, thank you, it's appreciated...
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 am

I've never looked at that ROM, but my first thought would be that there will be some "VDU" codes (a colour "escape" sequence) prefixing the name.

Return to “introduce yourself”