My First BBC

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
lurkio

Re: My First BBC

Postby lurkio » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:06 pm

duikkie wrote:can be , i only are very bad in programs like this , how do you end this ? i do not see quit ??

You can't! If you want to quit $.TEXT, then you must press Break! That is how the program is designed.

duikkie wrote:i have no mmc system here only beeb-em

It's okay. No hurry! You can try it on SmartSPI later..?

duikkie wrote:which file be which sub program ?

$.TEXT is the text editor.

$.GRAPH is the graphics editor.

$.RANSOM is the example game.

duikkie wrote:and random is not working ? error in adventure ?

Yes, that is very bad. You can try a working version of the game RANSOM here:

Or, even better, here:

:idea:

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:24 pm

Certainly no hurry, I am more than grateful that you're taking a look at it. That's just really great.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:57 am

i think text with tcode and data is one
graph , gcode and gdata is two

maybe examples are advman ?? adventure man ??? randsom oke a game, Qs is ????

gac is the menu with *load gac old run , what a strange way off doing is ??

lurkio wrote:
duikkie wrote:can be , i only are very bad in programs like this , how do you end this ? i do not see quit ??

You can't! If you want to quit $.TEXT, then you must press Break! That is how the program is designed.

duikkie wrote:i have no mmc system here only beeb-em

It's okay. No hurry! You can try it on SmartSPI later..?

duikkie wrote:which file be which sub program ?

$.TEXT is the text editor.

$.GRAPH is the graphics editor.

$.RANSOM is the example game.

duikkie wrote:and random is not working ? error in adventure ?

Yes, that is very bad. You can try a working version of the game RANSOM here:

Or, even better, here:

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:37 am

duikkie wrote:i think text with tcode and data is one
graph , gcode and gdata is two

Yes, you are correct.

duikkie wrote:maybe examples are advman ??

Yes. In $.TEXT, you can press "T" to load $.ADVMAN

duikkie wrote:adventure man ???

ADVenture from the MANual!

duikkie wrote:Qs is ????

I can't remember! :?

duikkie wrote:gac is the menu with *load gac old run , what a strange way off doing is ??

In $.GAC, &1500-&1900 is the MODE7 menu screen data. I think they wanted to leave space above TOP for the tape-to-disc and disc-to-tape PROCedure in $.GAC, maybe? No, wait -- that doesn't really make sense! I don't know then.

There's a working version of the game RANSOM here:

Or, even better, here:

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:50 pm

maybe link to software item ?
smart people here can do that i am to stupid for chips above 8088 :) and internet #-o

how about this I2-r1(fix)

can run with *exec !boot or
ch."load"

ch."ran-l"

ran-l protection undo :) view vdu 15
Attachments
I2-r1(fix).zip
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:02 pm

duikkie wrote:maybe link to software item ?

I don't understand. What do you mean?

duikkie wrote:how about this I2-r1(fix)

Thanks! Does it work on SmartSPI? Maybe Commodore and/or Lardo can give it a try?

:?:

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:11 pm

the stuppid *menu on beeb.mmb don't like that I2-r1 is called I2-r1(fix) , so
*dunlock 131 *title I2-r1

is this fix not for software classic item it is now in introduce yourself and not everybody is reading this :)

i am not a player , so i did not play or make something

lurkio wrote:
duikkie wrote:maybe link to software item ?

I don't understand. What do you mean?

duikkie wrote:how about this I2-r1(fix)

Thanks! Does it work on SmartSPI? Maybe Commodore and/or Lardo can give it a try?

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:52 pm

So I download the file and try that then?

Do I need to do *Dunlock131
*Title12-r1?

Thank you for all your hard work.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Commodore wrote:So I download the file and try that then?

Yes.

Commodore wrote:Do I need to do *Dunlock131
*Title12-r1?

I think duikkie is suggesting that you overwrite the existing broken GAC on disc 131 with his new fixed version of the .SSD disc-image. (He's suggesting that you delete the .SSD currently in slot 131 and replace it with his fixed .SSD.)

However, before you try that, I'd suggest that you just drag his fixed .SSD onto a spare slot in MMB Imager and then try booting that, on the Beeb:

*DIN slot_number
    *EXEC !BOOT

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:37 pm

or chain "load'"

or chain "ran-l"

this disc has now tree entry points :)

in *menu from *din

it checks I2-r1 name then ch."load"

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:06 pm

OK, thanks both of you, I really appreciate it.
i probably will have to wait until tomorrow to try it now, but I have my Manuals at hand as well, so once it's up and running, I'll be raring to go.

...Well raring to learn GAC anyway...:)

I have seen some good you tube videos about it as well.
For my first effort I may stick to text only, I'll see how I go.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:33 am

Well what a good morning's work that was!

Firstly, BASIC 2 arrived, that is installed and working. When I type REPORT I get 1982 now.
The question is how to keep BASIC 1 safe now.

Secondly, I have downloaded Duikkie's mended GAC to a spare slot, as you suggested Lurkio, and guess what? It works!
So that's brilliant. Later on I shall move it to 131 as Duikkie suggested.
I have also downloaded Yie Ar Kung Fu and Yie Ar Kung Fu 2, as on STH I get File Not Found. The downloaded versions work.

I feel well on my way to being able to make the tea for the Acorn Technicians now. I'm not qualified for eating my Chinese Takeaway with multi meter probes or pair of pliers yet though.

Thank you both for all your help.

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:42 am

If you don't have any anti-static foam, wrap a piece of polystyrene in tin foil and push the BASIC 1 ROM into it - the tin foil will keep all the pins at the same potential so it won't get zapped by static :)

d.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:49 am

danielj wrote:If you don't have any anti-static foam, wrap a piece of polystyrene in tin foil and push the BASIC 1 ROM into it - the tin foil will keep all the pins at the same potential so it won't get zapped by static :)

d.

Thanks danielj. I have put it in the foam that BASIC 2 came with, but I'm a bit worried about losing it or it getting damaged. Somehow it feels as though it's a part of that computer. Yes I know it's out of date, and been replaced with BASIC 2, but it's what was in it new. Maybe I'm just overly sentimental.
I may get some sticky pads and stick the foam to the motherboard with the chip in it. Won't get lost then.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 am

Update on GAC in slot 131:

I successfully deleted the broken GAC and replaced it with Duikkie's good version. It works fine.
If I select it from the STH menu after Shift/Break I get Disk not found though. This is a trifling matter as I can get it *DIN131 *EXEC !BOOT, and that is more than fine. I just wondered what it is that means it won't boot from the menu.

Anyway, time to wield the soldering iron over the Dragon 32.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:58 am

Having had the lid off my Beeb, I can now say that the serial number on the underside is AB Electronic Systems PLC 129419
The Motherboard Serial Number is Issue 3 203,000
There is a number 56511 on the case under the keyboard, and the number 32-122 on the keyboard.

Picture here:

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Commodore wrote:Update on GAC in slot 131: I successfully deleted the broken GAC and replaced it with Duikkie's good version. It works fine. If I select it from the STH menu after Shift/Break I get Disk not found though. This is a trifling matter as I can get it *DIN131 *EXEC !BOOT, and that is more than fine. I just wondered what it is that means it won't boot from the menu.

Try this:

Code: Select all

*DUNLOCK 131
*DIN 131
*TITLE I2-r1

The argument of the *TITLE command is (I think) this: uppercase I, digit 2, hyphen (minus), lowercase r, digit 1. I think that's the same as the current title (which you can see if you *CAT the disc) but without the "(fix)" on the end.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:16 pm

That fixed it Lurkio. I had read it wrong, I thought the letter I was a number 1.

Thanks again!

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Commodore wrote:Thanks danielj. I have put it in the foam that BASIC 2 came with, but I'm a bit worried about losing it or it getting damaged. Somehow it feels as though it's a part of that computer. Yes I know it's out of date, and been replaced with BASIC 2, but it's what was in it new. Maybe I'm just overly sentimental.
I may get some sticky pads and stick the foam to the motherboard with the chip in it. Won't get lost then.

I'd keep it out of the inside of the machine - simply because that foam is conductive, so if fragments of it get anywhere it'll start causing havoc :)

d.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Commodore wrote:That fixed it Lurkio. I had read it wrong, I thought the letter I was a number 1.

Serious (but probably silly) question: have you discovered that the cursor (arrow) keys and the COPY key on the Beeb can be used to copy text that's on screen and "live-paste" it onto the commandline?

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:08 pm

danielj wrote:
Commodore wrote:Thanks danielj. I have put it in the foam that BASIC 2 came with, but I'm a bit worried about losing it or it getting damaged. Somehow it feels as though it's a part of that computer. Yes I know it's out of date, and been replaced with BASIC 2, but it's what was in it new. Maybe I'm just overly sentimental.

I'd keep it out of the inside of the machine - simply because that foam is conductive, so if fragments of it get anywhere it'll start causing havoc :)

d.

Oh, didn't realise that, good point. I could use polystyrene though?

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:10 pm

lurkio wrote:
Commodore wrote:That fixed it Lurkio. I had read it wrong, I thought the letter I was a number 1.

Serious (but probably silly) question: have you discovered that the cursor (arrow) keys and the COPY key on the Beeb can be used to copy text that's on screen and "live-paste" it onto the commandline?

Not so silly a question Lurkio. I remembered that the arrow keys and COPY did something like that, but I have forgotten quite how it works, and I haven't experimented yet. It's all very different from the Commodore Arrow keys, better I would say.

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:28 pm

Commodore wrote:

I wouldn't really - if it comes loose you'll have the same issue with the foil. You shouldn't be using polystyrene on its own. Having a loose chip (even if stuck with a pad) inside the case isn't really something I'd recommend, just incase. :?

d.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:42 pm

not again :lol: [-o<
is yie ar kung fu and 2 not working on beeb.mmb ? which *din is that ?

Commodore wrote:Well what a good morning's work that was!

Firstly, BASIC 2 arrived, that is installed and working. When I type REPORT I get 1982 now.
The question is how to keep BASIC 1 safe now.

Secondly, I have downloaded Duikkie's mended GAC to a spare slot, as you suggested Lurkio, and guess what? It works!
So that's brilliant. Later on I shall move it to 131 as Duikkie suggested.
I have also downloaded Yie Ar Kung Fu and Yie Ar Kung Fu 2, as on STH I get File Not Found. The downloaded versions work.

I feel well on my way to being able to make the tea for the Acorn Technicians now. I'm not qualified for eating my Chinese Takeaway with multi meter probes or pair of pliers yet though.

Thank you both for all your help.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Sorry Duikkie. I really have no clue which DIN they are, but presumably somewhere right near the end.
If I knew how to find it out, I gladly would. I think Lurkio said he worked out L by using some Hexadecimal.

With those two Kung Fu games I get File Not Found and a Blue Screen when I select them from STH.

They both work fine from the Complete BBC Games Archive, where I downloaded them and put them in two vacant slots.

I suppose if we knew their slot numbers, I could wipe the ones on my version of STH, and then reinstall the new ones in their place.
Could even make them work from the menu with the *TITLE trick and their equivalent of I2-r1

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:22 pm

danielj wrote:
Commodore wrote:

I wouldn't really - if it comes loose you'll have the same issue with the foil. You shouldn't be using polystyrene on its own. Having a loose chip (even if stuck with a pad) inside the case isn't really something I'd recommend, just incase. :?

d.

Probably wise.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Would it do harm to just plug the basic 1 rom in a lower priority rom socket than basic 2 and leave it there?
Paul

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Commodore wrote:Sorry Duikkie. I really have no clue which DIN they are, but presumably somewhere right near the end.
If I knew how to find it out, I gladly would. I think Lurkio said he worked out L by using some Hexadecimal.

No need. Look up the disc title here:

And then use the title to look up the slot number in MMB Imager (or *DCAT on the Beeb).

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:41 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:Would it do harm to just plug the basic 1 rom in a lower priority rom socket than basic 2 and leave it there?

Well I was wondering about that. Would it cause a problem?

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:43 pm

lurkio wrote:
Commodore wrote:Sorry Duikkie. I really have no clue which DIN they are, but presumably somewhere right near the end.

No need. Look up the disc title here:

And then use the title to look up the slot number in MMB Imager (or *DCAT on the Beeb).

Yes, I went back and found that. Problem is, that disk has various other titles on it.
Not sure how to combine various titles into one "disk"/.ssd

It is Disk IM1_r1,

which contains:
HYPERSPORTS (Imagine)
YIE AR KUNG FU 2 (Imagine)

ARKANOID (Imagine)
BC BILL (Imagine)
COSMIC CRUISER (Imagine)
GREEN BERET (Imagine)
MIKIE (Imagine)
PEDRO (Imagine)
WIZADORE (Imagine)
YIE AR KUNG FU (Imagine)

What I am working up to, when I have worked out which my GO TO games and applications are, I'd like to get another SD card, and put on it a load of my favourites with a menu that boots from Shift/Break, and that I can choose which title like I can in STH, or at least by typing a letter or number.
I wonder how that is done.

Return to “introduce yourself”