MMBImager on 64bit Windows 7 (solution)

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
steve3000

MMBImager on 64bit Windows 7 (solution)

Postby steve3000 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:04 pm

I couldn't get MMBImager to run on my Windows 7 (64bit) laptop - kept hitting the error: "Component ‘MSCOMCTL.OCX’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid".

Searching on-line didn't find a specific solution for MMBImager but indicated this might be a VB6 problem. So after a bit more hunting on the net and experimenting with solutions, I have a solution and MMBImager now works fine. :)

As this solution may be of use to others (and probably also works for 64bit Vista/Windows 8 ), here's how to get it working:

1) After downloading MMBImager, run the file. Confirm you get an error similar to this: "Component ‘MSCOMCTL.OCX’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid".

2) To fix the error, first download http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomctl.cab

3) Open the mscomctl.cab file and copy mscomctl.ocx to c:\windows\SysWOW64 (if it's already there, just skip to the next step)

4) Open an elevated command prompt (with administrator privileges) [- click start, then type 'cmd', right click and run as administrator]

5) In the command window, type "cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64"

6) Now type "regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx"

After a couple of seconds, you should get a message saying "DllRegisterServer ... succeeded". Now MMBImager should run!

However, if you get a message saying this failed (with error 0x8002801c), make sure you are in an elevated command prompt and try steps 6 and 7 again.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”