anyone got any use for this? worth finishing?

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
brain

anyone got any use for this? worth finishing?

Postby brain » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:27 pm

A few years ago I started work on this, a pc operating system which acts a little like BBC MOS 3.20 on steroids. It supports multitasking (of BBC BASIC programs) and accesses modern filing systems like fat32 and iso9660/Joliet.

Screenshots below. Like I said it's unfinished. would anyone here use such a system?
Is anyone interested in helping maybe?

Opinions welcome, and I am quite happy to share iso images (very Small) for use in qemu etc...

Craig Edwards
Brainbox.cc

jgharston

Re: anyone got any use for this? worth finishing?

Postby jgharston » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:46 pm

You screenshots demonstrate it acting like BASIC (and appears to be a normal BASIC interpreter), and do not demonstrate any functionality of it acting like MOS 3.20 or any Acorn/BBC MOS in any way at all.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

brain

Postby brain » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:02 pm

That was the bit I didn't get to :-)

The idea is/was to mimic things like * commands, FX (osbyte) VDU commands etc. As for mimicking osbyte/osword at the machine level that wasn't the plan, more to get the os entirely written in and acting like BBC basic with the underlying behaviours.

Modules would act similarly to sideways roms, but obviously no longer limited to a maximum of 16 of them.

Someone suggested to make each process a separate virtual 6502 and go one step further. Not too sure on that though. Any thoughts?
further.
Craig Edwards
Brainbox.cc

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:25 am

Hmm :-k Interesting :idea:

On some systems at work, for technical reasons we are not permitted to run Windows, but we can (and do) run DOS. A lightweight environment (compared to an all singing and dancing fully functioned Beeb emulator) would come in handy when I want to use a proper good BASIC complete with the very useful Acorn OS functions.

So thumbs up from me if development continues 8)

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”