SSD/DSD to zip...

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
danielj

SSD/DSD to zip...

Postby danielj » Wed May 14, 2014 2:20 pm

Bit of a longshot here... Does a utility currently exist which will take an SSD and convert it into a ZIP of all those files together with the Acorn extensions? Or do I have to dust off eclipse? :D

d.

jgharston

Re: SSD/DSD to zip...

Postby jgharston » Wed May 14, 2014 7:16 pm

danielj wrote:Bit of a longshot here... Does a utility currently exist which will take an SSD and convert it into a ZIP of all those files together with the Acorn extensions? Or do I have to dust off eclipse? :D

d.
The Unix philosophy is one tool for each job, extract from SSD, then import into ZIP, but that requires you to be using a system that will hold the Acorn metadata in the middle. I can go the other direction, ZipToInf will create .inf files from the Acorn metadata in a Zip file, from which you can then use the tool of your choice to create an SSD from that.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed May 14, 2014 8:11 pm

You're right... It was the metadata that was being a pain for me, but now I think about it, do we have anything that will extract the files from a DFS image on RiscOS?

The alternative I'm looking at, which will work, is using datacentre/treecopy/econet, but it'd just be easier to deal with the files in-situ on the arc...

(I'm trying to pop a load of files from ssds onto my fileserver)

d.

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed May 14, 2014 8:55 pm

Hmm, treecopy doesn't seem to work - it has a rather bad day with recursing through ADFS directories and doesn't come back up a level on the fileserver... keeps complaining that "@" is a bad filename (quite what it's doing with the @ I don't know...) so everything ends up nested ad-nauseum...

d.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Wed May 14, 2014 9:27 pm

danielj wrote:You're right... It was the metadata that was being a pain for me, but now I think about it, do we have anything that will extract the files from a DFS image on RiscOS?
Do people never scroll down web pages nowadays? BeebArc, the version on my website can also extract from ADFS/HADFS images, 62-entry DFS images and interleaved images (eg DSDs). Usable from the desktop or from the command line.

danielj wrote:Hmm, treecopy doesn't seem to work (...) keeps complaining that "@" is a bad filename (quite what it's doing with the @ I don't know...)
Somebody else has mentioned that, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. I think I'll upload some earlier versions of TreeCopy to see if there's a particular step between versions that introduced the bug.

$ bbcbasic
>_

paulv

Postby paulv » Wed May 14, 2014 9:33 pm

jgharston wrote:Do people never scroll down web pages nowadays?

It's an oft. quoted "fact" that people don't read anything that is posted on the Internet fully.

I'm not sure whether it's due to time pressures or whether reading from screens is just a chore. I still prefer to print, read and make notes when wanting to understand something important rather than just read from the screen.

As for scrolling down, usability studies seem to suggest that the answer is an emphatic "NO" or the stats at least follow the 80/20 rule...

Paul

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed May 14, 2014 9:40 pm

jgharston wrote:Do people never scroll down web pages nowadays? BeebArc, the version on my website can also extract from ADFS/HADFS images, 62-entry DFS images and interleaved images (eg DSDs). Usable from the desktop or from the command line.

I did and had found it - was just playing with it. Job's a good'un! Thanks :) Truth told my initial reading of the file description left me assuming it was just for reading bbc discs, not disc images.

Don't know whether the treecopy issue is down to it being a level4 fs?

d.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed May 14, 2014 9:46 pm

jgharston wrote:Do people never scroll down web pages nowadays?
I work with a few people and I can't send emails with more than one or two lines of key information to them. Any more than that, and they'll miss it. If I'm lucky they read and absorb lines 1 and 2, after that, forget it! ](*,)

Having said that, I am guilty of missing tabs in spreadsheets, etc. :oops: "The data's in the spreadsheet" "No it's NOT!" "Did you open the 2nd tab" ... #-o

Footie

Postby Footie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:01 pm

danielj wrote:You're right... It was the metadata that was being a pain for me, but now I think about it, do we have anything that will extract the files from a DFS image on RiscOS?

d.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mjfoot/bbc.htm

Try BBCFiles, DFDUtil or ArcDFS.

Cheers,

Mike.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:51 pm

richardtoohey wrote:Having said that, I am guilty of missing tabs in spreadsheets, etc. :oops: "The data's in the spreadsheet" "No it's NOT!" "Did you open the 2nd tab" ... #-o
More than halfway through my current contract I noticed there was a list of site contact names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers "hidden" on page two of my schedule spreadsheet. #-o

$ bbcbasic
>_

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”