ubuntu and Elk UPURS

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
aerworuld

ubuntu and Elk UPURS

Postby aerworuld » Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 am

greetings all!

a few years ago i ran ubuntu on an old laptop that has long since died. i liked the operating system and would like to return to it with my desktop PC. however i am a few years out of touch with ubuntu and wondered if this would work ok talking to my elk for file transfer etc through my UPURS board as this is all i really use that PC for now, so its important it continues to work for that!

has anyone had experiences of recent vesions of ubuntu working well (or not) with Electron UPURS?

Stuart

paulv

Re: ubuntu and Elk UPURS

Postby paulv » Mon May 12, 2014 7:24 am

Can't say much about modern day Ubuntu as I've not used it in a couple of years but I don't see why the serial port implementation would be any problem on it.

When we were testing UPURS, t'other Martin worked extensively on a Linux distro and found that it was more stable than Windows in general.

Why not try using it from a bootable CD/DVD and see how you get on first?

Paul

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Mon May 12, 2014 7:37 am

^thats not a bad plan Paul. I've got the day off today so I'm hoping to get time to have a play about. I will report back with news once I have!

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Mon May 12, 2014 8:16 am

I don't have the current long term version, but do have the previous long term version and it works fine :-)

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

sydney

Postby sydney » Mon May 12, 2014 8:40 am

I'm using Linux Mint 15 which is based on ubuntu and have no problems. Just follow the instructions in the manual.

danielj

Postby danielj » Mon May 12, 2014 8:57 am

Basically, anything with an RS232 port that goes fast enough, with an operating system that can talk to it, and a terminal emulator that will run on that operating system, can use UPURS successfully :)

Pretty much any flavour of Linux running on something with an FTDI USB-RS232 will be able to do that. Heck, Linux even supported Econet until 2012! :D

d.

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Mon May 12, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks for the encouragement my friends; I have a famously uncanny knack of fiddling with things that basically work fine and utterly breaking them ;)

sweh

Postby sweh » Mon May 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Unless the main loopis massively different for an Electron (Martin?) you might even be able to use HostFS:UPURS ( http://sweh.spuddy.org/Beeb/UPURSFS/ ) and my TubeHost code ( http://sweh.spuddy.org/Beeb/TubeHost/ ) with that combination. You'll probably need to adjust the port numbers in the UPURSFS code, but that should hopefully be the only change.
Rgds
Stephen

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Mon May 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Stephen wrote:Unless the main loop is massively different for an Electron (Martin?)....
No, despite the Elk's potentially variable speed impediments, I managed to keep everything nominally the same :D

Daniel wrote:Basically, anything with an RS232 port that goes fast enough, with an operating system that can talk to it, and a terminal emulator that will run on that operating system, can use UPURS successfully :)
Yep, essentially just as Daniel says with the added detail that the host must correctly support CTS/RTS handshaking. Other than that, I consciously designed UPURS to be 100% host machine & OS independent - find a computer that fulfils the above and I absolutely guarantee that UPURS will work with it 8)

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:54 pm

I realised that i never reported by on my aged laptop/Ubuntu experimentations!

It worked beautifully; much easier to set up in fact than on my Windows machine as support for FTDI is already built-in! I have successfully used Cutecom to transfer some bits and pieces to the Elk with the UPURS suite and am most happy.

cute.jpg
Cutecom running in Ubuntu talking to my Elk
(38.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Stuart :-)

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:53 pm

I wrote:...find a computer that fulfils the above and I absolutely guarantee that UPURS will work with it 8)

Attachments
smug.jpg
(9.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”