Brandy Basic

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
jgharston

Brandy Basic

Postby jgharston » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:45 pm

New thread...
BeebMaster wrote:That would be good. I've just downloaded and extracted it but I couldn't get it to compile on Ubuntu. It did a few lines' worth of whatever it does but then I got an error:
You've got further than me. I've spent the afternoon trying to just get the ability to compile any C program at all, let along getting Brandy compiled.

To install a C compiler on a Linux system you need to compile it. But, to compile a C compiler, you need a C compiler. But, to compile a C compiler, you need a C compiler. But.... etc.

So, can anybody assist me in actually getting a C compiler environment onto my Linux system - and then, what actual actions I use to get it to compile something. Puppy Linux on a no-brand PC with AMD processor.

Later I may attempt the bigger fight of getting a Mac emulator to work, to try and get the Mac target working.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

hoglet

Re: Brandy Basic

Postby hoglet » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Any reason you are using Puppy Linux?

I've never had an such problems with Ubuntu.

Is it a really old machine?

Dave

sweh

Postby sweh » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:50 pm

jgharston wrote:To install a C compiler on a Linux system you need to compile it. But, to compile a C compiler, you need a C compiler. But, to compile a C compiler, you need a C compiler. But.... etc.

This is why the world invented packages so you don't get this dependency loop. On RedHat systems you'd use "yum"; on Debian systems you'd use "apt-get".

So, can anybody assist me in actually getting a C compiler environment onto my Linux system - and then, what actual actions I use to get it to compile something. Puppy Linux on a no-brand PC with AMD processor.

Puppy Linux is an odd variant; it was originally designed for "live CD" or "run from ram" usage, and so isn't necessarily the best variant for a long-term solution. However it also has packages (see http://puppylinux.com/development/packa ... gement.htm ). I'm not sure I'd recommend Puppy for development work.
Rgds
Stephen

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:39 pm

hoglet wrote:Any reason you are using Puppy Linux?
I've never had an such problems with Ubuntu.
'cos that's what I've got.

I may clear a chunk of time and start from scratch and install Ubuntu.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”