MMC interface issue 2.. help!

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
Morty

MMC interface issue 2.. help!

Postby Morty » Sat May 25, 2013 1:52 pm

New purchase issues..

Last BBC i purchased was my Model A with issue 2 pcb, this time I want to make a machine that i can play with and try and get some old BBC kit i purchased years ago up and running (2nd processors, bitstik etc)

The trouble is my BBC knowledge was last accessed in 1985 and things have moved on a bit!

The BBC B i just purchased has an issue 7 pcb, psu seems fine and it came with an MMC unit (issue 2)

Trouble is its got no instructions but did come with 3 memory cards and "loads of software". I was hoping to fire it up and start playing, the 1st card (128MB) seems to work but only had a few programs on, another card has loads of discs that are zips of ssd's

So my understanding is that this mmc device requires a file called beeb.mmb on the card to work, i've tried using mmbimager.exe to create an image and drag some ssd's into the disk slots. This appears to work and you can reopen the image and see the names of the discs i dropped in

The issue is when i copy the image onto a card and type *DCAT it shows the disk numbers but no titles

Any ideas?

I was hoping to download the sth disc set already in beeb.mmb format but lots of googling as drawn a blank

sweh

Re: MMC interface issue 2.. help!

Postby sweh » Sat May 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Morty wrote:The issue is when i copy the image onto a card and type *DCAT it shows the disk numbers but no titles

Try "*DRECAT" - this will go through all the images and update the master catalogue based on the TITLE of each disk image.

I was hoping to download the sth disc set already in beeb.mmb format but lots of googling as drawn a blank

I've stuck a copy that came with my MMC card at http://sweh.spuddy.org/tmp/sth_mmb.zip
Rgds
Stephen

Morty

Postby Morty » Sat May 25, 2013 4:00 pm

That's fantastic, thanks for that file.. in the mmbimager app i can see all the discs in the image

I copied the file onto the 1gb card that came with this ebay lot, tried to start the bbc but it says "Image not found"

I swapped back to the 128mb card which does start, then swapped back to the 1gb card with your image file on. When I try *DCAT it shows the discs from the 128mb card (maybe caches this info?)

In an attempt to force it to read the new card i tried the *DRECAT you mention and it says

MMC Read fault at 60/0007A0

Anyone have any ideas? - Faulty mmc adaptor? 1gb card bad? not formatted correctly? me not having a clue what i'm doing???? :D

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sat May 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Is the 1Gb card you mention a MMC card or is it a SD card. As far as I know SD cards will not work in the MMC adapter. This will explain your error with the 1Gb card.

John
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

sweh

Postby sweh » Sat May 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Note that the MMC card needs to be formated as FAT (not FAT32) and the BEEB.MMB file needs to be within the first 5 files written to the disk.

If you swap MMC cards then you should press control-break to force the Beeb to detect the change.

Since you say your board is "issue 2" then it sounds likely it's a Steve Picton TurboMMC board; these are the instructions he provides
Attachments
turbommc_docs.zip
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 120 times
Rgds
Stephen

Morty

Postby Morty » Sat May 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks for these replies, i'm not trying to be lazy, honest.. I've been reading so many posts going round in circles and i could not find any instructions so thats great i will read through those

Funny i was just reading a post about 1gb being formatted as fat32

The 128mb says "multimedia card", the 1gb says SD flash media card

I did not want to wipe the 128 as its the only one that will boot but i'll bite the bullet and give it a try as i think you are correct, i think the 1gb as not correct and could will be fat32 also

Thanks for all your help, i'm sat out in the sunshine with a bottle of beer, retro computing at its best!

Morty

Postby Morty » Sat May 25, 2013 5:37 pm

That's, it must have been that 1gb card, that explained why it had files on it but not 'ready to run'

The 128mb card menu is working 100%, just had a game of frak. My friend at school back in the day knew someone at A&B computing magazine and he gave us a bag full of games that had been sent in for review, i remember frak and i've not played it since, so 1st game on it since 1984ish!

Thanks again for all your help

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”