Image2BBC

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
aerworuld

Image2BBC

Postby aerworuld » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:12 pm

hi all!

i've been having a bit of fun converting some drawings (jpegs) i have on the PC using IMAGE2BBC, but the output i am left with is a BBC screen dump file.

My painfully newbie question is what do i need to do to these screen dump files to allow them to be viewed/loaded on my Elk?

Sorry if i'm missing the obvious here folks,

Stuart :)

MartinB

Re: Image2BBC

Postby MartinB » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:32 pm

First off, transfer them to a disc image (ssd or dsd) and then use your preferred method to present this disc image to your Elk - probably a real floppy I guess?

Finally, copy the dump into screen memory with *LOAD <dump> <addr> where <addr> is $3000 for Modes 0-2, $4000 for Mode 3, $5800 for Mode 5, $6000 for Mode 6. (Incorporating the *LOAD into a BASIC program will avoid prompt corruption.)

Of course, if you had an EUP + Elk UPURS you could load them into your Elk screen memory directly from your PC :wink:

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Thank you for the info Martin!

MartinB wrote:
Of course, if you had an EUP + Elk UPURS you could load them into your Elk screen memory directly from your PC :wink:

That, sir, is an equipment shortfall I would love to remedy :)

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:00 pm

In fact, I think I'll start putting some pennies away to fill that shortfall in my kit list now!

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:21 am

I've been trying to think of a way to get over this in the interim before I can get EUP+UPURS... Can I load it in the fashion you described into Electrem then save it to a tape image which I can then convert to a wav and load into my actual Elk, where I can then save it to disk again?

*takes a breath*

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:43 am

Do you not have any means to get an emulator disc image to a real floppy, even via a Beeb? (I assume you have discs on your Elk because you mentioned that you could finally "...save it to disk again.")

If not, I see no reason why you can't do something with tape and wav but I would advise that you use a Beeb emulator rather than an Elk one. I say this because when manipulating screen memory dumps, you will struggle to avoid corrupting the data with all the likely interractive load/save etc. prompts along the way but if you use a 'Beeb' in Mode 7, you can keep the screen dumps away from the prompts.

Thus, get your screen dump available to the emulator working in Mode 7, load the dump at &2000 (*LOAD <name> 2000) and re-save to tape using *SAVE <name> 2000+<length> where for example <length> would be &5000 for a Mode 2 dump.

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:18 am

Thank you Martin, I'll give that a go when I get home later.

Sadly I don't have a means of writing to floppy on the PC, but I do indeed have floppy access on my Elk through AP3.

Regarding the Elk user port, would it be prudent for me to put an order in for a board with you on the other thread? That way it'll be secured when I can start gathering components (I have no clue what I'm doing but there seems to be a lot of support literature so I'm determined to have a go!)

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Stuart wrote:Regarding the Elk user port, would it be prudent for me to put an order in for a board with you on the other thread?
No worries - as long as I know you'd probably like one at some point, I'll put one aside and you'll have first refusal when I get down to the last one. There's a few left yet but they're steadily going.
and wrote:Sadly I don't have a means of writing to floppy on the PC, but I do indeed have floppy access on my Elk through AP3.
Elk UPURS would certainly solve this issue and allow you to easily create DFS discs.

On the direct loading of screen dumps, it occurs to me that I should add a 'silent' switch to UPLOAD (the aforementioned direct load from PC function) so that screen dumps can be used properly without text corruption. Good prompt Stuart, I will attend to this in the next release of Beeb & Elk UPURS - you listening Paul? :wink:

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:55 pm

MartinB wrote:Beeb & Elk UPURS - you listening Paul? :wink:

Huh? Pardon? I had my partially deaf ear pointed in your direction just then :lol:

For the screen shots in the manual I created a text window at the bottom of a MODE 2 screen and saved/loaded a portion of the screen for demonstration purposes to avoid pointer corruption but yes, a SILENT option would be very useful :D

Paul

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 pm

thank you guys :)

yep, will definitely make good on that order as soon as i am able Martin - thanks again!

jms2

Postby jms2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Stuart - I can vouch for the EUP build process being easy. The hardest part for me was buying the parts, but now there is a shopping list for ESR you should be able to get everything bar the 6522 from them --and Dave H can supply the 6522.

Construction took me no more than a couple of hours and most of that was double-checking the photos on Paul's website to avoid mistakes.

My key soldering advice is to get a fine point for your soldering iron and buy fine-gauge solder (the stuff I have is about 0.6mm, which is about half the normal diameter). The finer solder melts very easily which means you don't have to apply much heat and there's less risk of applying too much. It's very controllable and quick.

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:44 pm

Thank you for the advice John; i'm determined! pain brings us learning, right? :shock:

My work usually dies down a little in January so i'm hoping to get the bits together over chrimbo (post delays allowing) and devote some time to it! I'm looking forward to having a go at this... if I can get it to work i'll have an even bigger smile on my face when I switch on the Elk than I usually do!!

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 pm

MartinB wrote:Of course, if you had an EUP + Elk UPURS you could load them into your Elk screen memory directly from your PC :wink:
If you have a serial port at both ends, then HostFS will do it. In fact, the demo screenshot is of loading a screen dump. :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Pablos544

Postby Pablos544 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:07 pm

MartinB wrote:First off, transfer them to a disc image (ssd or dsd) and then use your preferred method to present this disc image to your Elk - probably a real floppy I guess?

Finally, copy the dump into screen memory with *LOAD <dump> <addr> where <addr> is $3000 for Modes 0-2, $4000 for Mode 3, $5800 for Mode 5, $6000 for Mode 6. (Incorporating the *LOAD into a BASIC program will avoid prompt corruption.)

Thanks you're the man Martin. Up to now I been using a BASIC OPENIN to load images created by Image2BBC and writing them to screen using a REPEAT .. UNTIL loop with a ? to poke one byte at a time ARGGHHH...!! it to ages :lol:

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:22 am

Ok my friends, it has to have been a couple of months since I last asked any annoying questions so......

Is anyway that I can persuade my Elk AMX Art to open up my Mode 4 images that I have created on Image2BBC?

IMG_20140928_071407.jpg

I specify the Mode 4 ones because these have been the ones I have been happiest with so far, but I would be willing to move the goalposts on that point ;-)

Stuart ;)

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:23 am

It seems Fleet Street Editor is happy working with all Mode 4 images and allows import and conversion of digitised picture files and is also happy with working with the Mode 4 output of AMX Art. Brilliant!

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”