Omnidisk and .dsd or .adl: SOS

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
Advance

Omnidisk and .dsd or .adl: SOS

Postby Advance » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:21 pm

After many trials over many years I've had a bit of a breakthrough with Omnidisk. I tried unsuccessfully for ages to get Omniflop to work but never made it happen. Recent wrangles with 'flop and a 64bit PC ended the uneven struggle.
However, I discovered Omnidisk by accident and, using an ancient IBM Thinkpad laptop and Win98, am now firing ssds across the divide with great ease.
However, celebrations were curtailed when I attempted dsds and adls. Total failure and, I confess, total confusion.
Can anyone help with a (complete) idiot's guide to transferring the double drive stuff with this otherwise wonderful program?

Hugh

Samwise

Re: Omnidisk and .dsd or .adl: SOS

Postby Samwise » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Hugh,

Sorry, I didn't notice this topic before - it really belongs in the software & utilities for the pc, mac and unix forum, so I've moved it there.

As you've found, you can backup to a .ssd with:

Code: Select all

*BACKUP 0 c:\diskbackup.ssd

The default order (HCS) is not right for .dsd images. Add 'CHS' and use extension '.dsd', i.e.

Code: Select all

*BACKUP * c:\diskbackup.dsd CHS

I'm afraid I've never had to backup an ADFS disc, so you'll have to keep reading the comprehensive documentation to get help with that.

Can I suggest you might also want to try emailing joe directly? His contact details are in the FAQ.txt file of the latest version of the app. I'll be very surprised if he can't sort you out pretty quickly - he's a very helpful chap.

Sam.

Advance

Postby Advance » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks for your speedy assistance, Samwise.

It was so satisfying to finally get the system to work and so disappointing to then hit an anticlimax with the interleaved formats.

I'll have another try this weekend using your guidance and if I don't make progress with the .adls I'll go to the source, as you suggest.

Hugh

Advance

Postby Advance » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Just to bring this oldie up to date, I can announce, with a certain degree of well-earned smugness, that I have at long, long last mastered Omniflop.
A combination of Omnidisk, old laptops, 64 bit PCs and general ignorance led me to frustrating defeat many, many times in the past.
I have now, though, regained possession of my second-ever PC - a Systemax model, now maxed out with WinXP - and have loaded it with Omniflop.
Instant success with all DFS stuff. Couldn't believe it.
However, the need behind the new attempt on Omni'X' was to transfer data onto my Arc A3000 and .adf images did throw up a last hurdle.
I finally remembered that last year PaulV had pointed the way (renaming to .adl) but I never got around to putting his wise words into practice because Omni'X' continued to beat me.
The whole thing turned out to be maddeningly simple in the end.
Of course, retro is never straightforward. I've now got to work out how to get a sizeable portion of the newly imported images to actually work on the Arc.
Hugh

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:49 am

=D> =D> =D>

And some people look at me with that funny "he's mad as a..." expression when I tell them that really old PC's ARE useful :wink: :mrgreen:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Using a RISCOS formatted disc (I use 800K E format), OmniFlop just writes the .adl image to floppy and it works.

How it works I don't know but it is brilliant. =D> =D> =D> =D>

- John

PS The disc must be double density (one hole) not high density (two holes)
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

Advance

Postby Advance » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Mark said:
And some people look at me with that funny "he's mad as a..." expression

You were obviously there when my missus discovered I'd sneaked the old PC into the car for the trip home.

@John

My thoughts exactly but, after years of getting nowhere, I'm not going to question it.

I do use DD disks but have gotten away with with taping a 1.4mb HD floppy. The data easily stays true long enough to copy it onto the Arc.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”