Reading DFS floppies on a modenr PC.

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
Prime

Reading DFS floppies on a modenr PC.

Postby Prime » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi all,

I've just descovered something that might make backing up old 5.25" disks on a modern machine *MUCH* quicker.

I've been playing with archiving some old educational software that I think came from the college I used to work at, all I could work out was that it was Beeb software.

I could get the disks to read under OmniFlop on Windows, but it was taking ages to make an image and was re-calibrating the heads almost every track.
Under Linux I couldn't get the disks to read at all :( no matter how much playing about I did with setfdprm :( Oddly 3.5" where absolutely OK.

So I start googling today at work and find this : http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/drive.html#addr The interesting bit is that with 5.25" drives, modren PCs sometimes have problems reading disks written on a WD controller, because it didn't leave enough gap after the index pulse before beggining to write the track data.

The solution, stop the index pulse from the controller whilst reading the disk, so soldering iron and a switch in line 8 later, I try it, first in Linux and bang it works first time, then switch to windows and try Omniflop, and it steps through an 80 track disk in about 15 seconds with no recalibration.

So I deffo think this mod is worth doing, though this will only work for **READING** disks, it won't work for formatting / writing as the index pulse is required to time the start of the track but certainly makes archiving much faster.

Cheers.

Phill.

CMcDougall

Re: Reading DFS floppies on a modenr PC.

Postby CMcDougall » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:20 pm

^ :shock: =D> =D> =D>
pity none of my desktop PCs can deal with FM DFS :x only crappy MFM ADFS :roll:
only my an old Toshiba Satelite Laptop deals with FM, but only has a built in 31/2" drive,
so 51/4" either get copied to 31/2" first or now just UPURSd 8)
ImageImageImage

flaxcottage

Re: Reading DFS floppies on a modenr PC.

Postby flaxcottage » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:34 pm

A good dodge but my PC only has 3.5" disks so I can't use it.

Any MIA titles in the educational stuff you are archiving?
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”