OMNIDISK INSTRUCTIONS

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
beebee

OMNIDISK INSTRUCTIONS

Postby beebee » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:15 am

What commands are best for using on omnidisk. I have tried using copy and backup to transfer .ssd files from my c: drive to a formatted floppy on my a: drive. I have tried all variations of the examples given on the omnidisk website with no success, I get bad drive, file not found etc. The aforementioned examples are the only instructions that I can find for omnidisk which is a bit frustrating. Iam using an old compaq contura laptop running Windows 95, Iam using the freedos version of omnidisk, it is formatting and verifying the floppies ok, but it wont transfer the files. Does anyone know where to find instructions, examples for omnidisk. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Jim

CMcDougall

Re: OMNIDISK INSTRUCTIONS

Postby CMcDougall » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:13 pm

if you have a laptop with 31/2" drive built into the side, just use OmniFlop, much easier, what I've used for decades.
why use old DOS stuff when not a 286PC :lol:

with OmniFlop just upgrade the floppy driver that comes with the program, ignore all the crap M$oft warnings, they just want more money :roll:

then pick 40T SSD, 80T SSD, 40T DSD or 80T DSD, from the menu to write/read simples.

when formatting a disc with it, it needs the catalogue written to it or beeb will just show 'ee's when *CAT

simples :)
ImageImageImage

beebee

Postby beebee » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, my question is can I use omniflop with windows 95 as the only other laptop I have is a dell latitude and when I try to use omniflop with it I get the system telling me that Iam using a USB floppy and it wont work with it. If I can use omniflop with windows 95 that would be great.

Regards

Jim

poink

Postby poink » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:28 pm

beebee wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, my question is can I use omniflop with windows 95

I don't think so - the OmniFlop website suggests that you need an NT-based Windows (so, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7).

The problem is that almost everyone will have skirted the problem of using Omnidisk and picked up a (now extremely cheap) XP machine (Anyone going this route: Pentium 4-era is about as late as you can go and still have full (ie., 2 drives and 5.25") floppy support.

beebee wrote:I get the system telling me that I am using a USB floppy and it won't work with it.

Unfortunately, USB floppy drives are only required (by the applicable USB standard) to work with a small number of physical layouts that were frequently used by DOS - which means that Atari ST users are about the only ones in luck. (The same problem, for the same reason, predates USB with ATAPI and SCSI drives, like the LS-120.)

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:35 pm

Yes, I use XP with OmniFlop on PCs with reall floppy interfaces and have no problems at all.
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

Prime

Postby Prime » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:07 pm

poink wrote:The problem is that almost everyone will have skirted the problem of using Omnidisk and picked up a (now extremely cheap) XP machine (Anyone going this route: Pentium 4-era is about as late as you can go and still have full (ie., 2 drives and 5.25") floppy support.

Though if you are using Linux, you can override what the bios drive types are if you have a motherboard that has a floppy interface that physically supports 2 drives but only has one in the setup.

If you want to get even more advanced, you can hack the bios to add the 2 drive support back in, having first verified that the floppy inrerface physically supports two drives.

I've just done this with my Shuttle SN68SG2 machine and it works a treat, and makes a good compact floppy writing machine.

Other motherboards I know support 2 drives & 5.25 :-

Abit nf7-s
Abit Fatal1ty AN8.

Perhaps we should start a sticky thread of motherboards known to work?

Cheers.

Phill.

poink

Postby poink » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:01 pm

Prime wrote:Though if you are using Linux, you can override what the bios drive types are if you have a motherboard that has a floppy interface that physically supports 2 drives but only has one in the setup.

Yes, I've done this; although, the results suggested that the motherboard I was trying it on only supported a single drive.

I was perhaps oversimplifying, because reading floppies is enough of a pain without more options to explore. Long term, though, I think Linux is going to be one of the few places floppy support will still exist - Microsoft has been dropping various parts from Windows (floppy drives apparently don't show up in Windows 10 by default, the generic USB floppy driver has been dropped).

Prime wrote:I've just done this with my Shuttle SN68SG2 machine and it works a treat, and makes a good compact floppy writing machine.

In the end I settled on a Shuttle SB51G (for probably similar compactness reasons as yourself), which cost me £20 (inc., postage), and dropped Linux on it. Its only major task so far has been reading my Mape Tape IV floppy which had The Magic Telephone on it. The only real annoyance with it is that it doesn't have SATA ports.

Prime wrote:Perhaps we should start a sticky thread of motherboards known to work?

Maybe, it was something I was looking for when the board I had lying around didn't work. Perhaps almost as useful would be boards people have tried that didn't work (the Intel DG31PR I had lying around didn't seem co-operative).

beebee

Postby beebee » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi
I finally got around my problem. I set my pc running windows seven to dual boot with windows xp and now my 3.5 inch drive is running perfectly with omniflop. After all the hassle this was certainly the easiest solution. Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.

Regards

Jim

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”