Loading/Porting UEFs on a BBC via serial?

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
Commie_User

Re: Loading/Porting UEFs on a BBC via serial?

Postby Commie_User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:55 pm

There must have been something wrong with my system then. And I did need a chip with it, which I must have confused with that, as the manual said I needed a 6522 User VIA.

Well if Turbo MMC doesn't work in mine, then VIA's obviously not on there! But the more I learn, the more ignorant I get, so the old machine not running the MMC without the disk chip present could have been any bloody thing! Especially when, with the MMC chip inside, the disk drive wouldn't work.

It makes me even less ready to do things the more this pans out!

tricky

Postby tricky » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:16 pm

You may be getting confused, as the MMC ROM pretends to be a DFS 0.9, so, this may be the "disc" chip you are thinking of.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:31 pm

I think that could have been it. Still doesn't explain how the thing seemed to 'need', or replace, the real disk chip.

I'm scared my BBC will turn to dust next I even touch it! Someone should make a Raspberry Pi replica of the BBC, sockets included, so I can play with that!

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:36 pm

Commie_User wrote:There must have been something wrong with my system then. And I did need a chip with it, which I must have confused with that, as the manual said I needed a 6522 User VIA.

Well if Turbo MMC doesn't work in mine, then VIA's obviously not on there! But the more I learn, the more ignorant I get, so the old machine not running the MMC without the disk chip present could have been any bloody thing! Especially when, with the MMC chip inside, the disk drive wouldn't work.

It makes me even less ready to do things the more this pans out!

Judging from the pictures of the issue 7 and issue 3 boards you posted both your BBC's have a user VIA installed. On a model B it is quite easy to check if the user VIA is ok; you can swap it with the system VIA (6522), they are both socketed.

But yes, it could be many things. Is the configuration on the picture of the issue 7 board your current configuration? The ROM chip marked AT28C256 is an EEPROM, is that what you got with the MMC Card system? And do you see something like this if you try "*HELP"?

Code: Select all

BBC Computer 32K

Turbo MMC

BASIC

>*HELP

DFS 0.90
  DFS
  UTILS
  DUTILS

OS 1.20
 >

Since the disc system and the MMC system are really two completely separate systems you can troubleshoot them individually.
Paul

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:05 pm

My issue 3 is the only one working, so it's the only one encased and active. The Issue 7 ROM chips are gone, as for all intents and purposes they were broken.

I haven't got the MMC inside anything now, as it didn't seem to work when I tested it with the Issue 3 board. There was no MMC notification above where it says BASIC, or anything. And as I only intend opening a BBC when there's a working spare, I'll run no tests again.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”