Windows 10....

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
CMcDougall

Re: Windows 10....

Postby CMcDougall » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:43 pm

george.h wrote:Or you could just download and burn a DVD and upgrade

seems I might have to, as just turned it on, click "OK, lets continue" from window bottom right, then it says "Working on it" 1hr later, nothing :roll: :lol:

what a lot of utter pants M$oft #-o as per
ImageImageImage

george.h

Postby george.h » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:11 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
george.h wrote:Or you could just download and burn a DVD and upgrade

seems I might have to, as just turned it on, click "OK, lets continue" from window bottom right, then it says "Working on it" 1hr later, nothing :roll: :lol:

what a lot of utter pants M$oft #-o as per

But that is NORMAL! The machine I upgraded (dual 3GHz XEON CPUs) took what must be over 4 hours to do the upgrade FROM THE DVD!

You'll not be pleased then when it says "Just a moment" for like an hour.... obviously working on Mikysoft time...
Pic Caption: "One day son, this will all be yours..."

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:09 pm

^
me wrote:"do you want to install now" so set it to 8pm tommorrow, as want to see my bed before 5am!

so, it's today 8pm, and guess what "Updates last checked 8pm, Failed" =D> :roll: :lol:
so it's now doing the 2+gb once again :x

got the .ISO file now too, so can always 'try' that in 2+hrs time....
ImageImageImage

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Well,l 3 hours later its on with desktop, so shutdown for bed at 12 midnight.
So today...now on mobile phone as it does not have drivers for Wifi or Ethernet cable WTF!
ImageImageImage

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:50 pm

sorted, ended up somewhere in Properties, untick "AVG network filter driver" , so AVG even thinks win10 is a bug :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

also FireFox v40.0 now to search MILFS properly 8)

EDIT: only 5 updates :shock: , but failed on the graphics card :roll:
ImageImageImage

AndyMc1280

Postby AndyMc1280 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:43 pm

CMcDougall wrote:also FireFox v40.0 now to search MILFS properly 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: *sprays cola accross the room* But then I have an awfully dirty mind.

Managed to "break" the start menu in one of my profiles :lol: . It kept telling me it wasnt working and would fix itself on next reboot. it still hasn't lol. Profile specific so just created a new one *shrugs*

george.h

Postby george.h » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:29 pm

AndyMc1280 wrote:*sprays cola accross the room*

* Other brands of cola are available.... :lol:

AndyMc1280

Postby AndyMc1280 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:57 pm

george.h wrote:
AndyMc1280 wrote:*sprays cola accross the room*

* Other brands of cola are available.... :lol:

yes this was the uh.. "proper" stuff :twisted: :lol:

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:12 pm

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Just updated my 'lab' (windows 7) laptop to Windows 10 . . .

Yipee . . . I can now access my network drive for the first time in nearly 2 years. It stopped working after one of the regular updates and, despite rolling back, it never worked again.

Tried all my 'important' programs . . . All working. So, all good here :D

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:46 pm

Bought a cheap Windows 8 tablet, upgraded in about half an hour.

No problems so far, using it as we speak.

george.h

Postby george.h » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:25 am

I'm gradually getting used to Windows 10 on my Dell Precision 470. I think in time I will upgrade my other primary PC (an Optiplex GX620 - both have reasonable add-on graphics cards) to 10 as well, but not before I've moved my emails across from crappy TalkTalk to a proper Office 365 Business Premium account.

I still think the user interface on 10 is, visually, a mess of styles. What have others found?

AndyMc1280

Postby AndyMc1280 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:42 am

Thought I'd pay tribute to where it all started :lol: W10 going ok here for me. Now If I could just get serial networking going with my A3010..... :D

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:36 pm

So far, I have tried six times to upgrade, mostly with DVD, but also bootable second drive and download, everyone has failed, either corrupt media message (not actually corrupt), can't find files after rebooting or some other stupid message! This has been across three different PCs, so I guess the pc spirits are trying to tell me something.

roland

Postby roland » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:14 pm

george.h wrote:Or you could just download and burn a DVD and upgrade (if that is the right word for it) from that.... :wink:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Is it just my Win7 laptop or what? This link gives me a blank page :!: :o ( --> cryptic for not surprised :lol: )

I'm trying my second update. My Win7 64bit doesn't upgrade. It's a virtual box on my Mac. Win10 says that the cpu is not supported. I have read that the (virtual cpu) might lack some instructions and I might have more success with a 32 bit version. So I installed a 32 bit Win7 on a laptop and now the damn thing is installing updates for about 5 hours but still no Win10 icon in the tray.

Why can't those idiots at Microsoft make a simple download button to update the computer? Apple just offers a single button to upgrade your operating system and about one hour later (max) you're ready to go. No, Microsoft wants you to completely update your computer and when it's finally up to date they are installing a new OS and you can continue with updating.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated ....

Even more frustration: from the 174 updates to install the f***g Windows cancelled 131 updates. Why ... what did I do wrong to get this punishment :?:
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

george.h

Postby george.h » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Works fine for me - have just checked. Which browser are you using? Any add-blocker add-ons?

Who knows why Microsoft do things the way they do.... almost as much of a mystery as Apple.... Anyway, the closest to a"download" button for updating to Windows 10 is the DVD route, which means using Media Maker via that link.

Not sure about upgrading a virtual Windows 7 to Windows 10.....They may just not allow it?

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:27 pm

Save the download pain - use Linux :mrgreen:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

roland

Postby roland » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:33 pm

I was using IE8 as this is the default browser in windows7. The upgrade to IE11 failed :(

I'll try to install Firefox tomorrow and then visit the link. I still have no Win10 icon....

I prefer any Unix like system but I'm a web application developer so I need Win10 to test my creations with Edge :? I surely don't use any Microsoft software because I like it... Bitd, before Linux was easily to get I used OS/2 Warp because even then I disliked everything of Microsoft.

Edit: The link works on my Ipad so Safari is more compatible than their own browsers at their website :shock: can I use my Win7 product key when I install from that link?
256K + 6502 Inside

george.h

Postby george.h » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:03 pm

IE8!That could explain it. I have to say in Microsoft's defence (!) that IE8 is as dead as XP officially. They are not by a long way the first or only outfit where "retired" products don't work properly with present day stuff.

My God! Someone that actually used Oh S*** 2!

I'm afraid your Windows 7 product key won't work. You have to upgrade an activated Windows 7 then, once upgraded and Microsoft's activation servers have your machine registered as Windows 10, you will be able to do a clean install without a product key.

roland

Postby roland » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Well, IE8 is the default browser in Win7. It was a clean install with registration and activation. This morning I did a new, manual update to IE11 and then the page was displayed. I followed the instructions and yes ... after long waiting now Windows 10 Home 32 bit is running on this laptop.

Now that I know how I can take a "shortcut" without installing all those updates I will now retry to install Windows 10 on my virtual box.

And yes, I used OS/2 a lot. I loved it! I still cherish it a bit. The pc that contains my Atom-in-PC board still runs OS/2 Warp v3. Bitd at work, all those windows administrators were busy fixing all kind of problems. I was administering and supporting a network of four Warp Servers and about 30 OS/2 clients and was busy converting BBC Basic to my Atom-in-PC board (yes ... I had one installed in my PC at work :mrgreen: )
256K + 6502 Inside

roland

Postby roland » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:07 pm

I managed to install Win10 in VirtualBox on a Mac. It was quite easy now:

1. Install, register and activate Win7 32bit
2. Install SP1
3. Update IE8 -> IE11
4. Follow the line to the software download

And in 2 hours I had Win10 up and running in VirtualBox :o
256K + 6502 Inside

george.h

Postby george.h » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:23 pm

Well done!

Presumably you now have an ISO of the Windows 10 install DVD. You should, in theory, be able to do a fresh clean install of Windows 10 onto the same virtual machine and have it automatically activate - no having to go through Windows 7 first.

:wink:

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi Folks,

I have had 2 problems with Win10.

One is a problem that doesn't resolve itself even though the screen message says it will and the other is a printer issue.

First the BSOD issue. Below is a picture of what several people have gotten. I got this after about 2 months of running Win10.

The solution is not the one they suggest in the text. The solution, I found by searching the web, was to hit F8 on a restart continuously. This error means that there is a problem with a couple of the core programs....Cantana or something like that, don't have the message now, there are 2 core programs having an issue. The F8 does a 'stealth' safe mode boot to fix the issue. Again it's stealth so you don't know it's happening, but it does.

Initially you will have no start menu or programs within start. You'll see the button, it just won't work. Many program won't initialize, it's a real pain and panic can set in.

It took me a couple of tries to get the F8 to work but it does work and I've not had a problem with this since.

The second issue I had was with a Xerox printer. It just stopped printing one day. After going nuts with trying to figure this out, reinstalling drivers, etc., all the usual stuff, I checked the driver and the IP on the printer. They were different. Once I corrected that, voila, printing was restored. This happened twice so far with the same fix needed. Somehow Win10 was changing the IP on the printer, kind of weird because it should not be able to do that without human intervention..... however, that's what happened.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Ed......:-)
Attachments
Win10 BSOD.png

sweh

Postby sweh » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:35 pm

Is your printer getting its IP via DHCP? If so it might be being assigned a different one from the router. I always assign a static IP to printers outside of the router DHCP range.
Rgds
Stephen

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:51 pm

sweh wrote:Is your printer getting its IP via DHCP? If so it might be being assigned a different one from the router. I always assign a static IP to printers outside of the router DHCP range.
Yes, it sounds like this. I have the same issue on Windows 8 - just have to go into printer settings and change to the newly-assigned IP address.

Not saying there's not something wonky going on in Windows 10 but does sound more like DHCP, like Stephen says.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:01 pm

Need the windows product key? I looked all over my laptops /desktops and documentation, nothing, M$oft hide it with OEM installs for some stupid bizarre reason.
So, just run this little program, and it gives you it :-
Attachments
productkeyForWindows.zip
VBScript Script File (.vbs)
(515 Bytes) Downloaded 30 times
ImageImageImage

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:15 pm

sweh wrote:Is your printer getting its IP via DHCP? If so it might be being assigned a different one from the router. I always assign a static IP to printers outside of the router DHCP range.

I would totally agree with this if it had also happened at least once with the same printer under Win8.1. It never did so I'm suspecting Win10 fiddling with the router or the printer directly in some obscure way that MS doesn't even know about.

I've had the printer a couple years and only been on Win10 for a few months.... it's all very strange.

george.h

Postby george.h » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:57 am

CMcDougall wrote:Need the windows product key? I looked all over my laptops /desktops and documentation, nothing, M$oft hide it with OEM installs for some stupid bizarre reason.
So, just run this little program, and it gives you it :-

That is something they started doing a couple of years ago as an anti-piracy measure.

The branded Windows re-install CD/DVD, as used to be supplied with most major brands of PCs (not so much the retail brands, but the more corporate such as Dell, corporate HP etc), would install and activate onto most of the manufacturers PCs without a product key. Used to be brilliant with XP and early version of Windows 7 on Dell machines - you could install XP (or Windows 7) onto almost any Dell using a Dell branded CD without a product key. The problem that Microsoft twigged onto was that the product key on the stickers on those machines could then be used to install and activate it it on ANY other machine.

So they switched to having manufacturers supply Windows pre-activated and locked to each individual machine, and NO INSTALL CD/DVD. You can re-install Windows as many times as you like using THAT machines restore image - either the one on the hidden restore partition or a bootable backup of it - but ONLY on THAT machine, and it does not require activation. So having sorted re-installation out they then dispensed with the product key stickers for OEMs as they are, essentially, redundant.

If you loose the re-install image your supposed to ask the manufacturer for a copy - no more CDs/DVDs except for the retail/system builder boxed (or minimal packaging) versions of Windows.

It's a pain in the backside, but there it is.....

george.h

Postby george.h » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:06 am

KarateEd wrote:

I would totally agree with this if it had also happened at least once with the same printer under Win8.1. It never did so I'm suspecting Win10 fiddling with the router or the printer directly in some obscure way that MS doesn't even know about.

I've had the printer a couple years and only been on Win10 for a few months.... it's all very strange.

What model of Xerox printer, just out of interest? If it used to work with the printer getting it's IP via DHCP then the drivers should be locating it by netbios name (typical of multi-function jobs such as mopiers). Sounds as if Windows 10 and the printer's drivers are barfing at this. However I tend to agree with sweh, printers are better having static IPs assigned to them, or better still reserved IPs!

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi Folks,

The model of the printer is a Xerox Phaser 6180N.

I did actually assign the printer a static IP..... that's what changed on the printer and I had to reset the driver to reflect that.

It is a strange one to me, have never seen it before and have lots of printer experience from work.

Return to “off-topic”