Windows 10....

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
s1paulr

Re: Windows 10....

Postby s1paulr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:00 am

We use Windows 10 Enterprise and yes, you can disable Cortana. In fact the IS policy deployment within our company is to have the hideous thing turned off all the time. Also, software updates are under company rather than MS control as you would expect. I have to say that compared to 8.1, it is a vast improvement, although it does seem to be buggier than Windows 7 :(

george.h

Postby george.h » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:55 pm

s1paulr wrote:We use Windows 10 Enterprise and yes, you can disable Cortana. In fact the IS policy deployment within our company is to have the hideous thing turned off all the time. Also, software updates are under company rather than MS control as you would expect. I have to say that compared to 8.1, it is a vast improvement, although it does seem to be buggier than Windows 7 :(

Defo think we'll be sticking with 7 pro for as long as possible then. Excluding our two VMs, 20 machines (at the mo) just doesn't seem to make WSUS a practical use of resources for us. Previous environments I've been in PCs have numbered in the 100K+ range. Hell even servers numbered 10K+, making WSUS a no brainer before even considering the issue of update/patch regression testing on critical in-house apps.
Pic Caption: "One day son, this will all be yours..."

eXne

Postby eXne » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:47 pm

I've had no problems running W10. My oldest cpu is an i7 920 on a Gigabyte MB. Even the anniversary update caused no problems.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:42 am

yawn...
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3197954).
stuck at 95% for 1hr :roll:

FFS, no wonder laptop is SOOOO slow :evil:
ImageImageImage

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:10 am

CMcDougall wrote:Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3197954).
stuck at 95% for 1hr :roll:

Did two machines last night, both were done in 10mins. I'd reboot it if no progress after half hour, updates typically recover quite well nowadays with a reboot.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:12 pm

^that was trying to DL it, went ok for install...

my DL speed is pish, as old aluminium cable 900m down to fibre cab19, which is 80/20 there, only 27/5 at house :cry:
no aluminium cable or old blue beans in the OpenReach /BT system, my arse :lol:

-----
& now 9/11/16:
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3200970).
ImageImageImage

roland

Postby roland » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:35 pm

I started an update from win7 to win10 on a brand new pc yesterday in the afternoon. This morning I was asked to reboot and it booted to win7 again. After a few more updates and reboots I finally was able to start the update for the third time and downloaded win10 again. Why Microsoft, can't you simply replace files, update some settings and ready within an hour? Apple can do it... why didn't Microsoft copy that part also :?:

It turned out that the migration assistant first installs a lot of win7 updates. :evil:
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:50 pm

flippin 'ell

last week took ages to update X2

last night, an all nighter, like a complete 'new' install, now all setting must be lost FFS :twisted:
icon looks ok in folders, click on it, asks
selectAppsFFS.png

why :? [-( ](*,) :-x
ImageImageImage

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:42 am

Windows 7 rules here. I refuse to migrate to Windows 10 with all it's spying and information it collects and sends to Microsoft.

I know you can disable the built-in spyiware but that's not the point. It shouldn't be there in the first place.

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:04 pm

I made the mistake of putting it on a touch pc we have in the kitchen, I did it right at the end of the free upgrade period and it was so slow, I have installed XP.
This latest update has stopped supporting my win 8 whql gfx card in my tablet to, so I don't know what to do with that!
Fortunately, our pcs are win7 and my netbook is still on XP running visual tudio 6, so they are ok.

dhg2

Postby dhg2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:39 pm

I run Linux on all my own computers, but I recently had to update my mother's computer from XP to Windows 10. I was surprised at how much 'please agree to send data to us' stuff was in the installer, but the OS itself seemed nice enough once I had disabled Cortana and removed the advertisements from the start menu.
Regards,
- Patrick

JonC

Postby JonC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:19 pm

tricky wrote:I made the mistake of putting it on a touch pc we have in the kitchen, I did it right at the end of the free upgrade period and it was so slow, I have installed XP.
This latest update has stopped supporting my win 8 whql gfx card in my tablet to, so I don't know what to do with that!
Fortunately, our pcs are win7 and my netbook is still on XP running visual tudio 6, so they are ok.

Umm, XP is exploit Nirvana, I'd at least move your netbook to 7 for a couple of years (you've got about 2 and a half before its out of extended support too).
Jon

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:51 pm

2017-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4034674)
- Error 0x80070002

so, third time lucky you would think....., still same! :x :lol: :roll:
ImageImageImage

JonC

Postby JonC » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Ah yes, 1703: the wonderful Fall Creators Update which most people having been tryong to avoid! :lol:
Jon

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Oooh, I had this - what was actually killing the update process on mine was the antivirus software... McAfee was having none of it. And kindly IT Services had password protected the AV to stop me disabling it. I realised that windows hadn't successfully done an update for about 7 months... Suffice to say they wouldn't give me the password but they did helpfully explain how to remove McAfee and lo! updates ahoy...

d.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:30 pm

danielj wrote:how to remove McAfee and lo! updates ahoy...

yip, WHY do they give this free with every new laptop /etc #-o
always get rid of it straight away, need an installer to uninstall this utter trash! :D
I use AVG Free, use to have full access with a code /serial number generator, but they found it was a 'pirate' so
it turned itself back into 'Free' version again 8-[

this laptop had no antivirus software, as I need to get it to do things.... yesterday not today, no patience 8)

so flip knows why it keeps failing, other laptop done it first time :shock: ,
& that has got AVG on it, as on dodgy forums for unreleased Vinyl /CDs etc
ImageImageImage

jonb

Postby jonb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:56 am

My W10 experience was OK.

I'm running it on a 2010 quad core iMac and an ASUS X205ta net book that came with Windows 8. So far, so good. I used OOSU10 to disable Cortana and all the telemetry (plus other unwanted stuff) and it is all flying, even on the tiny netbook.

I don't use antivirus programs apart from Windows Defender. Have never bothered with them as they all seem to slow the system down unnecessarily.

So my question is: "Whats wrong with Windows Defender"?

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:11 am

Nothing so far as I can tell! - I use windows security plus MalwareBytes. Our IT department is perfectly happy with defender as an AV option if you care to use it...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/guide/best-free-antivirus

d.

VincentVega

Postby VincentVega » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:25 am

Still managing to resist here. I'm quite happy with Windows 8.1 (one of the few people who are!). I managed to install W8.1 on my new iMac, despite it not being officially supported by Apple and Microsoft blocking Windows updates for computers using Intel's Kaby Lake CPUs (thanks to a rather nifty patch here). I'd previously wiped my Surface tablet and put 8.1 on there too.

I've used W10 on a work laptop, but I just don't like the way it looks and the different styles of user interfaces (two control panels!). If I wanted an OS that had vast areas of flat grey and white, I'd install 3.11 or 95. I also find it a bit twee, especially the wording of alert boxes, notifications and the like. It's like it wants to be my extra-special friend (like Milhouse from the Simpsons).

My previous employer used Trend Micro for their virus/spyware protection. It was simply awful. Every time I worked from home, I'd have to raise a help desk call to have support remotely access my laptop to turn the darned thing off. Otherwise, it would grind everything to a halt, and I'd be sitting there for ten minutes waiting for the "New Item" dialogue box to open in Visual Studio.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 am

Whatever protection system you use, it's wise to have backups of any important data and even better, an image of the HDD.
That way, if you do suffer from any nasty infections, you can wipe the system clean and restore your data.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

JonC

Postby JonC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:28 pm

AV is all pretty much of a muchness these days in the home market. Personally I'd stick with Defender as it's as good as most other free (and some paid) home AV solutions.

That is to say that the biggest threats these days stem from Zero Day exploit related infections, which many of these won't catch (even the paid ones!). You'd be looking at products like Sophos Intercept X fopr protection in these areas.
Jon

jonb

Postby jonb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:45 pm

1024MAK wrote:Whatever protection system you use, it's wise to have backups of any important data and even better, an image of the HDD.
That way, if you do suffer from any nasty infections, you can wipe the system clean and restore your data.

Mark

^ That's wisdom right there.

I have no backups other than some document folders copied to my NAS. Certainly not a restorable HDD backup. Must fix that. If only W10 had an equivalent to Apple Time Machine (which makes it easy).

So, the NAS is on and connected, accessible from the W10 file manager. I would guess it is not safe from an attack if my Windows 10 machine was compromised (despite the NAS account having password protection, the file manager can mount and access the shared folder, with a "remember these credentials" setting).

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:03 pm

IMHO, you can use a NAS for daily backups if the amount of data is not large. That is, you can survive it being lost.
But all other backups should be on independent isolated media. I use external USB HDDs. But how often and how much does depend on how much and how important your data is.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:00 pm

anyone with trouble, try the stand alone installer, flippin 883mb FFS :roll:
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com ... =kb4034674
mine was the x64 version.............

why M$oft, download 5 times to fail, why not keep file 'somewhere' and try another day from that #-o
not everyone has super fast broadband like myself, 80/20 at cab 700m away on aluminium cable, 21/4 at house :evil:
ImageImageImage

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:08 pm

MASSIVE :evil: update yesterday, & today :twisted: , still not finished, 3 hours so far....

got bored, so fired up this WinXP machine, no problem :lol:

EDIT: its called : Fall Creators Update .... :roll:
ImageImageImage

Boydie

Postby Boydie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:34 am

1024MAK wrote:IMHO, you can use a NAS for daily backups if the amount of data is not large. That is, you can survive it being lost.
But all other backups should be on independent isolated media. I use external USB HDDs. But how often and how much does depend on how much and how important your data is.

Mark

I use one of these https://www.scan.co.uk/products/icy-doc ... rive-caddy , and bare drives kept in a fire safe (and at parents’ house for important stuff). Hot-swap and sata 3 makes backing up much faster.

Boydie

Postby Boydie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:40 am

For those of us on really slow connections (5 Mb and lucky to get that) and multiple machines on the same network, there is an option somewhere to download to one machine, which then seeds it to the others. Not too sure how you set it up to do so; presumably you have to ensure that only one machine is turned one to perform the first download, otherwise you’ll have several trying to download simultaneously over sparse bandwidth.

Return to “off-topic”