Windows 10....

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
AndyMc1280

Windows 10....

Postby AndyMc1280 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:02 pm

Come on own up, who's done it :twisted:

And what do you think ?

Personally I dont mind what I've seen so far. Could never fathom 8 and 8.1 fully, disliked the start screen, although it is/was useable on a touchscreen device (my pc at work lol).

My laptop, which came with 8.1 did the upgrade using the utility from M$ website as windows update kept failing.... other than that it has been fine.

Desktop still has W7... rarely use it, may leave it for a while.

Andrew

tricky

Re: Windows 10....

Postby tricky » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Haven't tried it, not in any hurry, but tech radar I think said that there was a rollback for the first month.

paulv

Postby paulv » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:44 pm

I've got ten windows 10 enterprise licences and then the free upgrades for win 7 and 8.1 and I'm in no rush to upgrade.

I'll likely wait until SP1 is released for most of my machines. Being a web development type though I'll likely upgrade my Win 8.1 laptop sooner rather than later so I can test with Microsoft edge as I still use my Win 7 machine day to day because I hate windows 8.

And so the never ending upgrade cycle starts anew. A master stroke for the Wintel based businesses :twisted:

Paul

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:19 pm

On my desktop machine I must be using version 10 professional. After all, it starts up saying "Windows XP". That's what 'XP' must stand for, mustn't it? :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Have done it. No problems so far - seems substantially faster than 8.1 did...

d.

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:31 pm

My PCs are retro. :lol:
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:37 pm

flaxcottage wrote:My PCs are retro. :lol:
Mine says "MISTAKE" when I type Windows 10... :lol:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

jonb

Postby jonb » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:34 am

I read some review that said it was full of bugs. Will it work on my little ASUS EE book (with its tiny 32gig SSD)?

One article I read (on The Register) said it uses a sort of torrent type technology so that other users can get updates from your computer. Not good if you don't like your bandwidth being used for MS's benefit.
Last edited by jonb on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

george.h

Postby george.h » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:38 am

Going to give Windows 10 Pro a try on one of my desktops later.

I tried yesterday on separate desktop which didn't go well. It spent HOURS sitting there saying "Just a moment" and eventually ended up at a blank blue screen apart from the pointer and some sort of scroll bar on the right if I moved the pointer there. Having said that I did try it a a "fresh" install skipping the numerous demands for a product key. I'll try it again after installing and activating Windows 7 Pro on it and see if does anything different.

From what I have seen of it on the news I have two immediate questions:

1. Can I get rid of those poxy "live tiles" off of the start menu?

2. What happens if I say to Cortana "Delete yourself PERMANENTLY". I keep removing her from my Windows phone (hate it with a passion) but it keep coming back.

I have a new server ready to start configuring at work to replace our old SBS 2003. The shiny new one is 2012 R2.... AAAAGGGGHHHH the t***s have put Metro on a bloody SERVER!!!!! What morons!

What ever you think of Microsoft I think Ballmer and this Nadella guy have wrecked the company as far as desktop OS' are concerned.
Pic Caption: "One day son, this will all be yours..."

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:15 am

jonb wrote:I read some review that said it was full of bugs. Will it work on my little ASUS EE book (with its tiny 32gig SSD)?

One article I read (on The Register) said it uses a sort of torrent type technology so that other users can get updates from your computer. Not good if you don't like your bandwidth being used for MS's benefit.

Apparently it transfers all the cash from your bank account, adds you to InterPols most wanted list, makes you the #2 in command within ISIS and AL Qaeda and ensures that the Anti Terrorist squad will abseil in to your lounge within 5 minutes of starting the upgrade process.

I've also read articles on the Regsiter that state it turns all the diesel in your tank to petrol and so ruins you car and that if you start the upgrade process and leave it to go and make a cup of tea, it will make the hardware spontaneously combust and incinerate the building.

:lol: :lol: :shock:

george.h wrote:What ever you think of Microsoft I think Ballmer and this Nadella guy have wrecked the company as far as desktop OS' are concerned.

Couldn't agree more about Ballmer, but I think Nadella is a smart guy - he can see that Micirsoft can't dominate like they did for 15 years after Win95 and is changing their direction - good luck to him, I hope he succeeds.

Personally I love Microsoft - I've made a good living making their software and other software work on their operating systems for the last 20+ years.

Long may it continue.

=D>

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 am

george.h wrote:I have a new server ready to start configuring at work to replace our old SBS 2003. The shiny new one is 2012 R2.... AAAAGGGGHHHH the t***s have put Metro on a bloody SERVER!!!!! What morons!

George, I trust you are going to be running VMs and not running everything on the hardware directly?

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:40 am

Well, I'll never be reconciled to these people and their operating system efforts, so I'm sticking to Ubuntu which I've been with since 2009. I can't remember the last time I had to use it at home, the only thing I used to be doing was file transfers, but now I've got my RISC PC connected to Econet, internet and Linux NFS share, there's no need.

We have one of their earlier versions at work, although I do have a secret Ubuntu install on my work PC, but somebody works off a laptop with a different version and when I tried to do something on it a few weeks ago, the screen layout didn't conform to anyone's idea of a computer GUI as established over the last 20-25 years, so I couldn't actually make it do anything.

If that's progress, give me OS 1.20 any day.

george.h

Postby george.h » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:46 am

TopBanana wrote:
george.h wrote:I have a new server ready to start configuring at work to replace our old SBS 2003. The shiny new one is 2012 R2.... AAAAGGGGHHHH the t***s have put Metro on a bloody SERVER!!!!! What morons!

George, I trust you are going to be running VMs and not running everything on the hardware directly?

I've not made concrete decisions about anything yet, except our existing SBS 2003 server MUST go. I've already migrated our email across to O365 (more cost effective and enables me to reduce our internal network's attack surface even further) so all it is doing is the AD login and permissions stuff and file sharing (at the moment). It is not even handling print services. We only have a single Brother MFP device which doesn't see heavy use. The current SBS 2003 box has always been rather too fragile to mess around with to try to get the Brother to operate through it.

We do have another server running 2003 Standard which is mainly used as a repository for the install files of authorised software - saves having to find CDs or repeatedly down stuff. Unless I can find a convincing argument NOT to, this will also be going.

So in such a simple environment (one single server) are there any convincing reason TO virtualise?

EDIT: Upon re-reading I found I'd missed the "not" in bold out. Plus added a bit more about why our existing server isn't even used for print services.

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:39 am

george.h wrote:So in such a simple environment (one single server) are there any convincing reas

Install 2012R2 on the hardware and the add HyperV as a service. Run no other services on the machine.

Using the same key, the licence permits you to run two virtual machines on the hardware, so you can still keep your two separate servers if you wish.

The buy Veeam and install it to run your backups - it's the best thing since sliced bread. Then go an do more interesting things and forget about the server, it will just work.

:D

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:55 am

I've upgraded my main desktop from Win7Pro and wife's laptop from Win7Home, both had no problems. So far I have no complaints and actually like it. I bought the Win8 upgrade when it was first released, never installed and now deleted.

I see a couple of questions above:
- The P2P sharing of updates is enabled by default but can be set to only share on your local network.
- Live tiles on start menu can be easily removed.
- Cortana, currently have it enabled but probably not for long, again easily removed.

It really isn't much different to Win7. If you upgraded to Win8 and don't like it then you'll like 10.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

george.h

Postby george.h » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:00 am

TopBanana wrote:Install 2012R2 on the hardware and the add HyperV as a service. Run no other services on the machine.

Using the same key, the licence permits you to run two virtual machines on the hardware, so you can still keep your two separate servers if you wish.

The buy Veeam and install it to run your backups - it's the best thing since sliced bread. Then go an do more interesting things and forget about the server, it will just work.

A very interesting suggestion! Much appreciated! Which particular Veeam product do you mean? Veeam Backup Essentials?

As you can probably tell I'm new to 2012 so I am getting a day of two of proper consultancy services in to help get the basic setup done.

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:39 pm

george.h wrote:As you can probably tell I'm new to 2012 so I am getting a day of two of proper consultancy services in to help get the basic setup done.

What !! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why didn't you ask ! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Elk Towers

Postby Elk Towers » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:23 pm

first of all this is my specs

Asus sabretooth m/b
amd fx-9590 cpu - 8 core 4.7ghz
16gb ram
twin NVidia gtx670 gpus

at present running win7 pro

Now heres the problem

when I go to upgrade to win10 I get a BSOD and the system reboots

any ideas as to why
Nick

paulv

Postby paulv » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Well, I've upgraded. First impressions are that I'll most likely migrate to Win 10 as my day to day machine keeping my Win 7 machine as is for now, just in case.

Like Windows 7 where it was everything Windows Vista should have been, after an hours use of Windows 10, I already feel confident in saying it's everything Windows 8/8.1 should have been.

Things are where I expect them to be, it's nice to use and looks good too.

There is one thing that I can't get working but it's not the end of the world right now as it's Cortana, I just can't seem to turn her on (fnar, fnar) :roll: I press her buttons in all the right places but she refuses to co-operate.

Paul

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:41 pm

Elk Towers wrote:Now heres the problem

when I go to upgrade to win10 I get a BSOD and the system reboots

any ideas as to why

Uninstall your AV, reboot, try again.

AndyMc1280

Postby AndyMc1280 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:57 pm

paulv wrote:Well, I've upgraded. First impressions are that I'll most likely migrate to Win 10 as my day to day machine keeping my Win 7 machine as is for now, just in case.

Like Windows 7 where it was everything Windows Vista should have been, after an hours use of Windows 10, I already feel confident in saying it's everything Windows 8/8.1 should have been.

Things are where I expect them to be, it's nice to use and looks good too.

There is one thing that I can't get working but it's not the end of the world right now as it's Cortana, I just can't seem to turn her on (fnar, fnar) :roll: I press her buttons in all the right places but she refuses to co-operate.

Paul

+1 to this :) Couldnt put it better.

george.h

Postby george.h » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:18 pm

TopBanana wrote:
george.h wrote:As you can probably tell I'm new to 2012 so I am getting a day of two of proper consultancy services in to help get the basic setup done.

What !! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why didn't you ask ! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well for a start:

1. I don't know where you are relative to our East London site (E14) - might be impractical.
2. We have a good bunch of IT consultants on the same site (Trinity Buoy Wharf) which we've used in the past so I know them and they know me (and the company).
3. Being on the same site I can stand up and wave at them out of the window (or two fingers/shake a fist, throw things if it's not working).
4. In the event of being in dire straights they can be on our site in < 2 mins of me picking up the phone.

Having said that it doesn't mean I'm not open to offers/quotes for a day of someone's time :wink: Please bear in mind though that the outfit I work for is only a small company so cost is always important and we have no such thing as an "IT budget". I have to fight and argue for every penny.
Last edited by george.h on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

george.h

Postby george.h » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:21 pm

paulv wrote:...I just can't seem to turn her on (fnar, fnar) :roll: I press her buttons in all the right places but she refuses to co-operate.

Well..... :shock: :lol:

paulv

Postby paulv » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:44 pm

george.h wrote:
paulv wrote:...I just can't seem to turn her on (fnar, fnar) :roll: I press her buttons in all the right places but she refuses to co-operate.

Well..... :shock: :lol:

Well it seems she doesn't like to work in a domain login hierarchy, IF I switch user to a Microsoft account rather than a domain account it works.

In the domain account it asks to link to a Microsoft account but when I provide the details it doesn't connect to it.

So it seems she blows hot and cold depending on her environment...

Paul

george.h

Postby george.h » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Well I now have Windows 10 Pro 32-bit installed on my Dell Precision 470 and it seems to be working ok. Yes I know this system IS 64-bit but it only had a 32-bit Windows 7 Pro license to start with.

I'm going to take some time getting to know it but first impressions are:

1. I don't like to styling. Seems to be a designer's wet dream where style is everything. For instance in some windows there is practically no distinction between the general window background and the title bar. Makes it harder to see where to click to drag the window around.

2. After setting up my OkiPage 12i printer I went to try and check the printer settings and found this oddity. To get to the printer settings I have to go Start >> Settings >> Printers and Scanners. There I can see the printer but can't do anything except REMOVE it. No right click no nothing. Instead I have to go down to the small, grey, not very obvious Devices and Printers under Related Settings. Seems to be a totally useless extra step. Why? It seems to serve no purpose.

3. Can't see an easy way of turning off ALL the poxy live tiles in one go.

More as I get more used to it, but so far I don't like it.

EDIT: I've just tried "Edge" - hate it! All the most practical settings moved and changed for no reason I can think of except to push Microsoft's own preferred start page and make it more difficult (i.e. less obvious) to change. For instance changing it start with Google is now more involved and I have to set the Home button separately (Start and Home it seems are now not the same thing). In addition I can't see anyway of getting a new tab to open my preferred home page (again Google). I get a choice of blank or what Microsoft want.

nOmArch

Postby nOmArch » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:03 am

4 machines upgraded, zero problems so far, been using a release preview for the last three months and it just works, so was very happy when it went gold and all my machines upgraded with no issues.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:40 pm

I have had the window in right corner of win8.1 for two month, so clicked on it the other day to update, still only at 15%.

bloody 2,706.1mb in total :shock: winXP was <700mb and on one CD (ok... with 3,000+ updates! :roll: )
ImageImageImage

nOmArch

Postby nOmArch » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Lol had that problem myself a few times, I just stopped the download and waited a few hours then tried again. And again. And then it downloaded fine in about 5 mins.

Server load I'm guessing.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:38 pm

^yip, it's all down now :o
"do you want to install now" so set it to 8pm tommorrow, as want to see my bed before 5am!! :lol:
ImageImageImage

george.h

Postby george.h » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:24 am

Or you could just download and burn a DVD and upgrade (if that is the right word for it) from that.... :wink:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Return to “off-topic”