Raspberry Pi Play Thread

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
richardtoohey

Re: Raspberry Pi Play Thread

Postby richardtoohey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks ... I had a rummage around and it might have come from here ...

http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/document ... 20image%29

That just tells you how to do it ... and the sauce was obviously cooked by someone, for which I am very grateful.

[EDIT: I was almost there - that page above links to

https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/1/topics/1098

... which has the link to http://www.svrsig.org/RISCOS_Distro.zip

... which is the "secret sauce" :roll: ...]

I'll keep my eyes and ears open, anyway.

I'll do a short talk on the RPi to the local Linux Group, so I'll definitely chuck into a RISCOS boot as well!

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:56 pm

I use an RF wireless keyboard and mouse with mine - works fine under Debian but only the keyboard works under RISC OS :(

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:26 pm

TopBanana wrote:I use an RF wireless keyboard and mouse with mine - works fine under Debian but only the keyboard works under RISC OS

Is it an MS mouse by any chance, I ended up getting a wired Tesco Value mouse for the Pi and it works a treat in RISC OS as well as everything else.

Paul

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:08 pm

I've tried three different ones ;-

Logitech
Cheappie from eBay
Combined Keyboard & Trackpad

All are fine under Debian, RISC OS just exhibits various faults depending on which one is used :-(

I wonder if it doesn't like the two devices on a single USB port ?

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:43 pm

I wonder if it doesn't like the two devices on a single USB port ?

Doubtful, Raspberry Pi foundation recommend connecting lots to the USB ports via powered USB hubs.

My Cirque CruiseCat and MS Wireless Mouse which both claim to have fallback simple USB mouse characteristics do not respond in RISC OS but do in Debian. It's likely the RISC OS USB stack (which is after all still in its very early stages) is a but buggy.

Still that's part of the fun being on the bleeding edge! :wink:

Paul

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

paulv wrote:Doubtful, Raspberry Pi foundation recommend connecting lots to the USB ports via powered USB hubs.
That powered bit seems to be important - I bought a cheapie unpowered USB hub and the ethernet stopped working. Scratched my head for a while, then Googled and found the answer. Ditched the hub, and ethernet works (this is with the Debian image downloaded from the Raspberry Pi site.)

EDIT: I meant to say, everything else I've tried has just worked - cheapie class 4 4Gb and 8Gb SD cards, old USB keyboard and mouse, couple of HDMI TVs ... all worked. The USB hub was the first failure ...

MDBenson

Postby MDBenson » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:00 pm

I had no end of issues with the Ethernet cutting out or going weird on me with just a keyboard and a USB card reader. Any USB keyboard with a built in hub seems to pull most of the power on the bus for itself. I had to stop using a USB Apple keyboard because nothing else worked in the USB ports. As soon as I plugged in a card reader in the Ethernet cut out. I went over to using a Havit (great name - I'm sure they're owned by Peter Kay!) mini USB keyboard. It works with no issues because it's got no fancy add-on crap it's 'just' a keyboard.

Also, my powered hub didn't work at all well and made matters worse, crashed the Debian USB stack I think or forced the USB bus to shut down, can't really decide what it was but the USB went dead completely when I plugged it in. I have another one now which I will try instead at some point.

My solution was to install sshd on Debian and use a remote terminal (I'm not doing anything on mine that requires a GUI, hell I'm using a distro that doesn'r even have one installed!!). That probably won't help for RISCOS tho ;)

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:42 pm

After some judicious overscan tweaking...
2012-06-30 17.35.19.jpg
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 2444 times

What an awesome little machine...

nOmArch

Postby nOmArch » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:15 am

MDBenson wrote:I had no end of issues with the Ethernet cutting out or going weird on me with just a keyboard and a USB card reader. Any USB keyboard with a built in hub seems to pull most of the power on the bus for itself. I had to stop using a USB Apple keyboard because nothing else worked in the USB ports. As soon as I plugged in a card reader in the Ethernet cut out. I went over to using a Havit (great name - I'm sure they're owned by Peter Kay!) mini USB keyboard. It works with no issues because it's got no fancy add-on crap it's 'just' a keyboard.

Also, my powered hub didn't work at all well and made matters worse, crashed the Debian USB stack I think or forced the USB bus to shut down, can't really decide what it was but the USB went dead completely when I plugged it in. I have another one now which I will try instead at some point.

My solution was to install sshd on Debian and use a remote terminal (I'm not doing anything on mine that requires a GUI, hell I'm using a distro that doesn'r even have one installed!!). That probably won't help for RISCOS tho ;)

You may need to up the power to either of those ports, had a similar issue with random green dots appearing on the LCD display. The solution is to allocate more power to the HDMI port. Works a treat.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:32 pm

MDBenson wrote:I got mine last Thursday. I have been goofing about with VAX and PDP-11 emulators using Debian and SimH (http://simh.trailing-edge.com/).
BBC BASIC for the PDP-11 :D

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:29 pm

These are quite good for beginners stuff - they do assume (without realising that they are assuming) some computer literacy, but the style does remind me of those early days of learning to program and messing around with 8 bit machines =D>

http://www.themagpi.com/

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:34 pm

MDBenson wrote:I had no end of issues with the Ethernet cutting out or going weird on me with just a keyboard and a USB card reader. Any USB keyboard with a built in hub seems to pull most of the power on the bus for itself. I had to stop using a USB Apple keyboard because nothing else worked in the USB ports. )

Didn't I read somewhere that the ethernet on a PI is just a USB device. So I guess no surprise it going weird if to much power is drained.

firthmj

Postby firthmj » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:59 pm

nOmArch wrote:You may need to up the power to either of those ports, had a similar issue with random green dots appearing on the LCD display. The solution is to allocate more power to the HDMI port. Works a treat.

How do you control the power allocation to the various bits of the Pi?

I just assumed that it was all automatic - most of the articles elsewhere have basically just said "if something doesn't work, your power supply or cable is crap, so get a better one".

Haven't personally had any power issues yet, spent this evening botching putting mine in a Punnet - better than a bare board. I think mine even looks OK despite being bodged by someone with zero craft abilities!

RiscOS is definitely getting there - it seems to move forward every few days too, which is hopeful. The latest post seems to suggest that a release is imminent that will make the SD card support less flaky.

Astonishingly, RiscOS on the Pi was even able to painlessly use Access+ networking to connect to the HDD of my A3020 - now I can directly file share from Beeb to Pi!

Need to try XBMC on mine at some point - everyone keeps saying its great...
Had fun at the
Meeting 13th May 2017

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:57 pm

firthmj wrote:Need to try XBMC on mine at some point - everyone keeps saying its great...

Plex is being ported to Pi, which is a branch of XBMC, in my opinion Plex (having used it for years after switching from XBMC) is better. Originally just for the Mac, but now ported to Linux, Windows and various Linux power NAS. Run on a MAc Mini hooked up to a QNAP NAS myself. And all the usual IOS and Android control and watching options.

paulv

Postby paulv » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:08 am

Astonishingly, RiscOS on the Pi was even able to painlessly use Access+ networking to connect to the HDD of my A3020 - now I can directly file share from Beeb to Pi!

Now that sounds interesting :D I haven't played with my Pi in a few days so that'll be something to check out for sure :D

Paul

BigEd

RISC OS Distro for Pi

Postby BigEd » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:10 am

Just found the one true thread where the head post is being updated by Chris Hall:
First RISC OS Distro for Pi?

There's a link to the ever-changing latest build at http://www.svrsig.org/RISCOS_Distro.zip but also descriptions of what's just been added or fixed.

Cheers
Ed

and Yay! The latest build works with my SD card!

nOmArch

Postby nOmArch » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:36 pm

firthmj wrote:
How do you control the power allocation to the various bits of the Pi?

I just assumed that it was all automatic - most of the articles elsewhere have basically just said "if something doesn't work, your power supply or cable is crap, so get a better one".

You need to modify the config.txt file the in the fat32 partition of the SD card. you'll need to look the command up on the pi-wiki though.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

paulv

Postby paulv » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:57 pm

firthmj wrote:Astonishingly, RiscOS on the Pi was even able to painlessly use Access+ networking to connect to the HDD of my A3020 - now I can directly file share from Beeb to Pi!

Hmmm, I can't get Access+ to work on my Pi :(

Access+ working fine with shares on my A410/1 and my A5000 can access them without a problem. The Pi is on the same IP network and can access resources on the local network via web browser just fine and has Internet access too so I can't see why the discs that are being shared aren't showing up as I'm sharing them "Unprotected"

Is there anything special you did on your Pi to get it to see your A3020?

Paul

Room5

Postby Room5 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:00 pm

If anyone is after a cheap, branded power supply, I'm using one of these with mine and would recommend it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-AC-10x-en ... 440&sr=8-1

(5v / 1.2A)

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:46 am

Just in case any of you (uk-based) guys are interested, this weekend Eben Upton will be at the Games Britannia REPLAYED event in Sheffield on 7 July.

And I'll be there running "classrooms" of both BBC Micros and Raspberry Pi's ... ! 8)
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug Leicestershire (17-19 November 2017)

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:32 am

Arcadian wrote:Just in case any of you (uk-based) guys are interested
Waaaaaaah! Not fair!!! :mrgreen:

paulv

Postby paulv » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:11 pm

paulv wrote:Hmmm, I can't get Access+ to work on my Pi :(

Is there anything special you did on your Pi to get it to see your A3020?

I forgot I'd sub-netted the Arcs away from the main network so they couldn't see the Pi which was getting its subnet mask from the DHCP server. I've re-set the subnet mask on the Arcs and now the A3000, A400/1 and A5000 can all talk to RISC OS on the Pi over ShareFS.

This now provides a fully PC/Mac/Linux free way to download stuff from the Internet and get the data not only onto my Arcs but also via Econet onto my Beeb's.

It's as pure an Acorn solution as you can get in the post Acorn world I guess.

I know I could technically do it with the Arc and ArcWeb but that is slow and only supports the most basic of websites. Using the Pi means I get access to the wider Internet at high speeds so it's actually a practical and usable solution.

When you think about it for a second how awesome is that? 30+ year old Econet networking technology bridged to Ethernet and using ShareFS to map drives from the smallest RISC OS computer to date.

Paul

MarcT

Postby MarcT » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:19 pm

I've had a play with the latest RISCOS Alpha on Raspberry Pi today (24-Jul build). It's clearly a work in progress, but impressive nonetheless.

At the moment the screen resolution is stuck at 1920x1080 with the Pi's GPU hardware scaling to whatever the monitor's native resolution is. In my case it should be 1280x1024 on a 17" TFT (via an HDMI to DVI adapter), although the monitor itself is saying 1024x768. Anyway, the net result is it's letterboxed and the fonts are tiny, particularly the text console. The mouse pointer leaves trails around the screen when dragging, another known issue.

No audio support as yet.

Screenshot to follow. I can't find our main camera, and I can't find the cable to get pics off my phone #-o

Marc

Links:
https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/Software%20information:%20Development%20%28ROM%20image%29
https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/1/topics/1154?page=1

paulv

Postby paulv » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 am

Not sure how many of you guys are keeping up with the latest ROM updates and distro's but I've been playing with RISC OS on the Pi again this week. It's looking mighty slick now and is sporting sound too!

Paul

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:15 am

Wow, that does look good! Thanks for the reminder.

I haven't had ANY time recently to do anything other than work & breathe (in that order), but do want to get back into all this.

Is there anywhere special to go to get the latest & greatest RISCOS version to run on the Pi?

helpful

Postby helpful » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:26 am

richardtoohey wrote:Is there anywhere special to go to get the latest & greatest RISCOS version to run on the Pi?

The latest alpha release is here:
https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documen ... 20image%29

However the official release is due Real Soon Now(tm) so you might want to hold fire for a few more days.

For those a touch nearer to London than Richard, don't forget you can see and play with RISC OS on the Raspberry Pi (and much more) at the upcoming show :-)

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... =25&t=5527
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:34 am

helpful wrote:
richardtoohey wrote:Is there anywhere special to go to get the latest & greatest RISCOS version to run on the Pi?

The latest alpha release is here:
https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documen ... 20image%29

However the official release is due Real Soon Now(tm) so you might want to hold fire for a few more days.
Thank you!
helpful wrote:For those a touch nearer to London than Richard
Oooh, you rotter! :lol: Summer's just rolling in round here ... did you get one? :twisted:

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:21 pm

richardtoohey wrote:Oooh, you rotter! :lol: Summer's just rolling in round here ... did you get one? :twisted:

Of course we did -a proper British Summer (2 days of sunshine, all others wet and windy) and we even had a proper drought :lol:

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:46 pm

Having bought one of the Maplin Raspberry Pi Kit's, I have had great fun playing with the latest Alpha release of RISCOS.

One question I have which someone more savvy than me could possibly answer, does the !Omni application work to access a Windows 7 network share ?

Whenever I try to mount a remote share, it always comes back with server not found (or words to that effect) even though I can ping the server name I enter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon.

paulv

Postby paulv » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Just for kicks :wink:

It's the official RISC OS Raspberry Pi distro with !ArcEm installed running RISC OS 3.11. I've installed Uniboot on the HostFS virtual drive and stuck a few games on there...

Elite, Zarch, SWIV and Hamsters all run just fine :D

Paul

Return to “off-topic”