Cheap USB logic analyser - recommendations?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
jonb

Cheap USB logic analyser - recommendations?

Postby jonb » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi

Looking to buy a cheap USB logic analyser - up to 16 channels with trigger capability with timing and state analysis. Up to 100mhz (25 or 50 is probably OK as I need it for fixing retro pooters).

Anyone got a recommendation? Needs good, intuitive software that works with Windows 10 64 bit.

Cheers
JonB

hoglet

Re: Cheap USB logic analyser - recommendations?

Postby hoglet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Do you have a budget in mind?

crj

Postby crj » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:35 pm

I've got my eyes on the Bitscope Micro. It's only six channels (plus two analogue, so eight really) and 20MHz, but it's tiny and £70.

I think it'll do for a lot of stuff, and loads of people seem to like it, but I'm open to being told it's a terrible idea. (-8

jonb

Postby jonb » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:50 am

hoglet wrote:Do you have a budget in mind?

Less than £100..

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:49 pm

jonb wrote:Less than £100..

Take a look at the DSLogic Pro:
http://www.dreamsourcelab.com/order.html

This will do:
16 channels @ 100MHz
8 channels @ 200MHz
4 channels @ 400MHz

It also does state analysis @ 50MHz

There is a teardown / review here:
https://opentechlab.org.uk/videos:009:notes

And an article on Hackday here:
https://hackaday.com/2017/08/24/dslogic ... nd-review/

One thing to watch out for is the quality of the clips - they are dire on most of the cheap logic analyzers.

I haven't used this myself, but it's probably the one I would go for at the moment.

Do read the reviews, there is a fair amount of criticism as well!

Dave

dgrubb

Postby dgrubb » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:59 pm

I have an Open Workbench logic sniffer and, for the price ($50), it's been a great purchase. The storage memory on it can be a little tight, but it's fully open-source and has 32 channels.

Alternatively, you can go even cheaper and get a Chinese knockoff (~$15) of one of the streaming models (like the Saleae) and run it using pulseview.

dgrubb

Postby dgrubb » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:04 pm

crj wrote:I've got my eyes on the Bitscope Micro. It's only six channels (plus two analogue, so eight really) and 20MHz, but it's tiny and £70.

I think it'll do for a lot of stuff, and loads of people seem to like it, but I'm open to being told it's a terrible idea. (-8

I really like the builtin analog and clock generators and the analog capture, but ~$150 for 20MHz seems a bit steep. A rule of thumb is, for accuracy, you should have twice the capture bandwidth of the signal you're probing, so effectively 10MHz?

cmorley

Postby cmorley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:39 pm

dgrubb wrote:I really like the builtin analog and clock generators and the analog capture, but ~$150 for 20MHz seems a bit steep. A rule of thumb is, for accuracy, you should have twice the capture bandwidth of the signal you're probing, so effectively 10MHz?

The page says 20MHz & 40Msps so it should have a analogue filter with 3dB point of 20MHz on the front end. 40 Msps isn't great but at least it isn't 20... for comparison the 25MHz Picoscopes sample at 200Msps but then they cost more - especially for one with logic analyser too.

jonb

Postby jonb » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Thanks for that, guys!

@Dave - The thing that concerns me with the DSLogic unit is articulated in the video - the one the reviewer is testing is different (later, better model) than the one on the web site, but he says he ordered the Pro and got this one. Not sure I'd be as lucky!

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:57 pm

jonb wrote:@Dave - The thing that concerns me with the DSLogic unit is articulated in the video - the one the reviewer is testing is different (later, better model) than the one on the web site, but he says he ordered the Pro and got this one. Not sure I'd be as lucky!

Yes, it does seem confusing. I'm still unsure whether the Pro and the Plus are one and the same, or not.

Roland I think has the Open Bench Logic Sniffer, and has found it very useful. I didn't recommend this for a couple of reasons:

1. It can't stream data directly into the host, meaning that capture depth is quite limited: 24K samples @ 8 channels down to 6K samples @ 32 channels.

2. It's likely not quite as plug-and-play. There are various firmwares for it, and it does seem to have quite a steep learning curve. Especially if you are having to setup complex triggers to make up for the lack of capture depth.

On the plus side, it does have 32 channels, which would be very handy with 8-bit microprocessor systems, as that covers the address bus, the data bus and a few control signals.

There is a support forum here:
http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.ph ... c-sniffer/

See also this page:
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Openbench_Logic_Sniffer

At least this one is completely open source!

There is a Java Client, and I think it's also supported by Sigrok. The Java Client is allegedly slow, as it uploads capture data over a 115200 baud serial link.

Dave

Return to “off-topic”