Extending an olive branch?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
trixster

Extending an olive branch?

Postby trixster » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Do you think we might consider reaching out to Zarchos and re-enabling his account? I know things got a little fruity #-o and some words were said :oops: , but I feel his presence, enthusiasm and knowledge are missed from stardot. I've had plenty of dealings with him on and off the forum and he's a genuinely great chap.

Can we consider letting bygones be bygones? [-o<
A3020 | A3000 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
BBC Master Turbo + DC | Atom | A1200 060 | A500 | Jaguar | A420/1
A4000/040 060 | Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD

steve3000

Re: Extending an olive branch?

Postby steve3000 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:55 pm

trixster wrote:I feel his presence, enthusiasm and knowledge are missed from stardot. I've had plenty of dealings with him on and off the forum and he's a genuinely great chap.

I don't know exactly what happened, but completely agree with the above [-o<

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:17 am

Plus 1 . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 am

He's more than welcome to email the admin and discuss. We aren't tyrants.

d.

martinw

Postby martinw » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 am

Plus 1, he's a character 8)

Martin

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:59 am

Just generally, there is a level of behaviour which is expected of people on the forum - in a nutshell, that's respecting others and refraining from posts that others might find offensive. If people don't adhere to it, they usually get a gentle nudge in the thread or a PM. If they persist in being deliberately antagonistic there's a limit to how long the admin and mods will play along. There's often more than is seen in the public areas of the forum, and decisions to remove access aren't taken lightly.

d.

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:28 am

Xavier brought a lot to the forum, however he also caused problems. Many people miss him and I'm sure just as many are happy he's not here. In the end his behavior in public threads and private messages lead him to be banned, which he pre-empted by pretty much publicly demanding he be banned.
As Daniel has said, if he wants to return he can contact the admins and request this and we'll discuss it with him.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:39 am

Just to say, I support this approach. No matter how clever, productive, energetic, creative a person might be, if they can't conduct themselves respectfully then they can be regarded as a net negative. They just need to understand that they have to control themselves - think whatever they like, but be respectful with what they type into the forum and the PMs. If they want to rant, they can find plenty of other places to do that.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:18 am

I'll repeat what I said to Andy in a PM from last night:
1024MAK wrote:
trixster wrote:Do you think we might consider reaching out to Zarchos and re-enabling his account? I know things got a little fruity #-o and some words were said :oops: , but I feel his presence, enthusiasm and knowledge are missed from stardot. I've had plenty of dealings with him on and off the forum and he's a genuinely great chap.

Can we consider letting bygones be bygones? [-o<

Unless he has asked this evening, Zarchos has so far not asked the administrators to allow him to rejoin.

Members are given plenty of warnings, before, as a last resort, we have to ban them.

Mark

Now, as indicated by some of the administrators earlier, if he wishes to rejoin, he is welcome to ask.

We will however expect him to respect other members and both the ethos and rules of this forum.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

tricky

Postby tricky » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:34 am

I don't know how much I saw or missed.
I was dismayed by a couple of his posts, but when we met in person he was great.
Zarchos, if you are reading this, please consider bringing your fun, creative personality back to our small community.
Tricky.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 am

(I wonder if we should say suspend rather than ban? If the door is always open.)

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 am

I think it would be better to employ a suspension system prior to a ban to avoid any awkwardness since asking people to seek forgiveness is a little dictatorial imho. I'd go for something like a one month suspension for the first (significant) offence, three for the second and then finally a ban.

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:30 am

This is generally why we don't air this stuff in public as there are numerous opinions as to the best way to deal with things and we end up having to attempt to justify something that is substantially more involved than it probably appears to be on the surface. Unfortunately, we're not a democracy, we're not a workplace, we're a forum, we all have other things we need to be getting on with. We try and run things to keep everyone as happy as possible, we really do! In this instance, multiple opportunities were given to modify behaviour over a number of years, so a ban really was the last resort.

d.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:04 am

It probably would have been better if any requests for reconsideration of a ban had been PM'd to the mods instead of being posted for public debate. <tin foil hat>Otherwise, one almost begins to suspect that a kind of campaign to drum up support for reinstatement is being orchestrated by some sort of shadowy éminence grise type of figure.</tin foil hat>

trixster wrote:Do you think we might consider reaching out

I don't believe the mods ban any user on a whim. There would have been good reason. (I don't think I'm being hopelessly naive here!) If anyone should be doing the "reaching out", then surely it's the banned user, isn't it? I wouldn't have thought it was the forum mods who ought to do so -- unless they genuinely feel they've made a mistake in enacting the ban.

trixster wrote:I know things got a little fruity #-o and some words were said :oops:

I understand that there had in fact been many instances of said fruitiness and wordsaying over time, but the final one, which resulted in the ban, involved the bannee, completely unprompted and out of the blue, calling another forum user a fool (or words to that effect), when said forum user hadn't even been talking to the bannee in any way at all! In response to a mild reproach from a third party, the bannee then posted a quotation from Emil Zola that justified hatred ("la haine") and dared the mods to ban him if they had the guts! It was utterly unnecessary and bizarre, and really quite antisocial.

trixster wrote:I feel his presence, enthusiasm and knowledge are missed from stardot.

But the people who were slagged off can probably live without them!

trixster wrote:I've had plenty of dealings with him on and off the forum and he's a genuinely great chap.

I'm fairly sure the mods' authority doesn't extend to your interactions with people off the forum!

trixster wrote:Can we consider letting bygones be bygones? [-o<

My understanding is that that approach was tried several times, and that several warnings were given, before the eventual ban.

MartinB wrote:asking people to seek forgiveness is a little dictatorial imho.

Perhaps not "forgiveness" exactly, but surely a banned user needs to accept that he behaved in a way that wasn't acceptable on the forum? Otherwise, he's basically got away with behaving antisocially, scot-free!

:?:

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 am

lurkio wrote:Otherwise, he's basically got away with behaving antisocially, scot-free!

Well no, the offender would get a month's suspension from which he'd hopefully appreciate the error of his ways or, if not, get a subsequent three month suspension followed by the ultimate ban. Clear rules and consequences are always less controversial and more acceptable than 'apparent' secret courts, however much justifiable.... 8)

trixster

Postby trixster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Sorry guys, I went about this entirely the wrong way, should have PM'd the mods first. Apologies! Perhaps it's best to close this thread?
A3020 | A3000 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
BBC Master Turbo + DC | Atom | A1200 060 | A500 | Jaguar | A420/1
A4000/040 060 | Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:03 pm

If everyone's aired their laundry to their satisfaction, I'm quite happy to do so :)

d.

Return to “off-topic”