Detecting mosquitoes and kill them

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
duikkie

Re: Detecting mosquitoes and kill them

Postby duikkie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:41 pm

females smell , the gays are hameless :) , not sure about the yeast , but what is with the sugar water ? they don't like sugar and don't need it for there ( Fipronil) egges (made in holland :) )

BigEd wrote:ooyah.

The thing with a big box fan and a fine mesh seemed good to me: they die of dehydration apparently, in the breeze.

The other thing, with yeast and sugar water in a trap, I'm not so sure how convincing it is but it's cheap and easy to try.

I can hear them but only when they are inches from my ear. So, I think they are quite quiet.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:44 pm

not sure but 500 - 1000 time per sec wings is 0.5 or 1 khz ( is that the sound of flying mosquitoes ?

http://resource.wur.nl/nl/show/Waarom-f ... o-snel.htm

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:54 pm

sorry not englisch:

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2017/07/04/wa ... 3-a1565573

Een vrouwelijke gelekoortsmug maakt ruwweg rond de 400 slagen per seconde. Dat levert dus een zoem op van 400 hertz: ongeveer de middelste G op de piano. De huissteekmug Culex pipiens (in Nederland veruit de meest algemene soort die mensen steekt) zit op 350 Hz. Elke soort heeft een typische, maar flexibele zoemtoon.

Muggen horen die zoem met hun antennes. En dat niet alleen: vrouwelijk gezoem trekt mannen aan. Dat bewees de Amerikaanse entomoloog Louis Roth al in 1948 bij gelekoortsmuggen. De mannetjes zijn niet heel kieskeurig; ze landen ook graag op een aangeslagen stemvork (440 hertz).

Maar de mannetjes zoemen zelf ook, en altijd hoger dan de vrouwtjes. Een mannelijke gele-koortsmug zoemt rond 600 Hz. Dat biedt muzikale mogelijkheden. De mannelijke én de vrouwelijke zoem hebben een boventoon gemeen van 1.200 Hz. Voor muziekliefhebbers: het is zijn eerste boventoon (octaaf) en haar tweede (kwint op het octaaf).

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:34 pm

I don't know, but 1kHz was/is the test tone often used with TV test cards.

The range of audio frequencies carried by traditional telephone systems is 300 Hz to 3.4 kHz.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:58 pm

Thats why i don,t hear as well the damn test tone of 1khz

but they write the tone between 350 till 600 hz

Is it so low ?

But dection becomes difficult because 350 .. 600
Is the normal sound range for a lot of things :(

1024MAK wrote:I don't know, but 1kHz was/is the test tone often used with TV test cards.

The range of audio frequencies carried by traditional telephone systems is 300 Hz to 3.4 kHz.

Mark

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:07 pm

BigEd wrote:
I can hear them but only when they are inches from my ear. So, I think they are quite quiet.

Like ninja's, if you hear them it is too late

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Ouch.

They're attracted to carbon dioxide initially. DEET or nets... That's honestly your best bet. Ultrathon is better than standard DEET as it's slow release. Remember that it disintegrates plastic though :(

Outside, citronella candles, those "spirals" that burn. I used some of those tablet heater things that plugged in indoors in the past, but whatever's in them made my knees hurt! Go figure.

Invest in screen doors :D

d.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:48 pm

It is sad the artikle is in dutch because the bug is not so smart by making the noise but it can not alter it.

the human ear is not very good
so a mic filter 350 hz ...600 hz can hear them in a room
if sound is constand then it is the flying blood drinker

Elminster wrote:
BigEd wrote:

Like ninja's, if you hear them it is too late

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:22 pm

Image Image

No Deet in either ...

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 am

working ???

if the bug is there and you are the only one with blood , this will not help !!

topcat96 wrote:Image Image

No Deet in either ...

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 am

Apparently mosquitoes hate lemon eucalyptus oil and won't go anywhere near it. As stated by RobGT earlier in the thread in regards to his wife using Vicks Vapour Rub to keep the little so & so's at bay, guess what it contains??? Yep, lemon eucalyptus oil

So perhaps there's your solution ... grow lemon eucalyptus trees/ bushes :)

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:11 am

It is still protection not active kill

and if your the only one with blood

they will bite you

even if you are swimming in lemon
oil.

all protection thing is based
on hidding your smell.

and the damn bugs always smell me
even after long shower :(

I need a active detection thing
350 hz...600hz ampilier

topcat96 wrote:Apparently mosquitoes hate lemon eucalyptus oil and won't go anywhere near it. As stated by RobGT earlier in the thread in regards to his wife using Vicks Vapour Rub to keep the little so & so's at bay, guess what it contains??? Yep, lemon eucalyptus oil

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:18 am

Next time you find one, you should capture it and record the sound!

For the not-too-squeamish, a video: Close-Up View of Mosquito Bite - YouTube

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:59 pm

topcat96 wrote:Apparently mosquitoes hate lemon eucalyptus oil and won't go anywhere near it. As stated by RobGT earlier in the thread in regards to his wife using Vicks Vapour Rub to keep the little so & so's at bay, guess what it contains??? Yep, lemon eucalyptus oil

Think it depends on the type of mos as well. Deet is prety universal, non deet seems to vary between not effective and very effective, depending on where and who uses it.

And of course depends if you are travelling. i.e. getting pot plants in luggage.

Mossies like water so the best solution for Duikkie is he moves to the Sahara Desert, and stays away from Oasis. (or possibly the moon)

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 pm

yeah away from water , by name is duikkie something to do with water , were i live :)
by the way the most bites i get in area with lods of trees :(

salt water mos don't like i think

Elminster wrote:

Think it depends on the type of mos as well. Deet is prety universal, non deet seems to vary between not effective and very effective, depending on where and who uses it.

And of course depends if you are travelling. i.e. getting pot plants in luggage.

Mossies like water so the best solution for Duikkie is he moves to the Sahara Desert, and stays away from Oasis. (or possibly the moon)

jonb

Postby jonb » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 am

You're right duikkie - they often breed in the puddles of water left by the rain in the boles of trees.

I used to live in Amsterdam (in the old town) and there was a huge tree in the back garden, right next to the building. I suspected for a long time that that was the source of the mozzies. I had a studio flat, and they used to get in somehow, even with the window closed. The noise they made... zzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ! as they dive bombed my face! Hate them, as I have a strong aversion to anything that penetrates my skin (like needles) - gives me the creeps.. Anyway, I tried plug-in vapour emitters (no good, probably not strong enough), hunting with my ears and a towel (better, and satisfying, too) but in the end the only way to get some peace was to get a fly killer spray can, hold it up high, and walk from one end of the room to the other with my finger on the button. Used to make the room smell, but sure killed the mozzies.

They were fast, though. One day I saw one flying about slowly, looking for its next meal. I thought I'd grab it right out of the air and crush it in my fist. Wily bugger saw me, flew between my fingers as they were closing round it, landed on my knuckle, bit me, then buggered off somewhere. Grrr...!

As to detection with a device, I don't think its feasible. Once they land you can't hear them, so you need to get a directional fix prior to this.

Maybe wait a while and scan the ceilings / walls for little black dots. Use a lamp cast up to the wall at an angle so their shadows stand out. This works for me, when I'm "hunting".

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:32 am

mozzies with needles would be your worst nightmear then.

I use an anti spider spray which is probably not great for keeping the mozzies down, you probably want a spider attraction spray!

This might help

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 am

Hackaday agrees with the CO2 and fan method http://hackaday.com/2017/08/02/eradicating-mosquitoes-from-your-backyard-with-seltzer/#more-267216.
I suggest a white background to see them, CO2 to attract them and either an air rifle or cricket bat to kill them ;)

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 am

Sounds environment friendly, especially the cricket bat (if made from sustainable forest).

Sounds interesting, I still think the spider suit is necessary.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:06 am

Elminster wrote:mozzies with needles would be your worst nightmear then.

For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:35 am

GREAT picture :(

What was it star trek vovager esp ?

1024MAK wrote:
Elminster wrote:mozzies with needles would be your worst nightmear then.

Return to “off-topic”