Commodore 64

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Commie_User

Re: Commodore 64

Postby Commie_User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:02 pm

Well it probably would have been, among the twelve people who had one. That or the inbuilt office suite of the Plus 4, 4 being its total userbase in the whole of the British Isles.

I always wondered! ;)

But it is sad those machines never got a better foothold, dead ends they were nonetheless. If it was going to be anything, I would have more seriously imagined the software-ruining Coleco Adam.

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:13 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Lardo Boffin wrote:Sorry - not RGB. Bit distracted when posting!

It's connected to a SCART socket.

Err, SCART is "just a connector". SCART can carry composite video OR RGB OR S-Video. If you look at your TVs settings, it should tell you if you are using composite or S-Video. If it does not say S-Video, then it is defaulting to composite video. You can also tell by looking inside the SCART plug, or the DIN plug and reporting here on which pins are connected (or looking it up). You still need to see what signal the TV has been set to receive.

I use S-Video with my C64 and C128 machines, as the separation of the colour encoded signal from the luminance offers a better quality picture than composite video.

Mark

If I am being honest I never really thought much about SCART - as much as I did I guess I thought it was both a connector and a protocol. On most of my tellies if you wanted s video you plugged an s video cable into the s video socket on the telly or component cables into the component socket etc. I had a nice Sony CRT flat screen which had RGB SCART which was a definite improvement over normal SCART so I presumed it was wired differently at both ends as it were. I also assumed if you wanted to connect a different source type to a SCART socket you needed an adaptor of some sort to do so. Every day is a school day!

I picked up the RGB bit because the Jiffy bag the SCART cable came in said RGB SCART on it (hand written). :oops:
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:40 am

Commie_User wrote:
Lardo Boffin wrote:Thanks for the advice all and thanks for the hardware (topcat96)!
Also I may be running out of space on my retro desk...

Lardo

Congratulations on your upgrade to the executive class of computer. A wise decision. Just don't use the BASIC or expect to do too many intermediate projects on it...

Hmm. If I am being honest I only bought it for my wife to play the games she used to play as a kid. I suspect it will never get the appreciation it deserves...

I did try to run a simple graphics program to test the video when I first got it as I didn't have any games to load. Wow was that an eye opener! #-o
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:58 am

Wikipedia has plenty of info on SCART :wink:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:00 am

Lardo Boffin wrote:Hmm. If I am being honest I only bought it for me to let my wife beat me playing the games she used to play as a kid. I suspect it will never get the appreciation it deserves...

Corrected that for you :P

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:16 am

Lardo Boffin wrote:I suspect it will never get the appreciation it deserves...

I did try to run a simple graphics program to test the video when I first got it as I didn't have any games to load. Wow was that an eye opener! #-o

Run something like OCP Art Studio or The Image System. Other peoples' packages are where the magic's at on this machine. It's more like the Mac in that respect. GEOS is an excellent example of that. It's like the WIMP on the Atari ST. Also, Commodore owners rarely seem to recommend the machine without pushing a play on Creatures or Mayhem In Monsterland.

Though from that late era of slicker games, I always enjoyed Heavenbound.

Also, do the honourable thing and find her an amp and speakers from a junk shop. Having a 64 and failing to rock out to it is a crime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Pe60D5v3o

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:40 am

1024MAK wrote:Wikipedia has plenty of info on SCART :wink:

Mark

I will add reading that to my to do list!

Here is the C64 end of the SCART cable. S video judging by the number of pins?

IMG_6559.JPG

Lardo

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:04 am

Commie_User wrote:Also, do the honourable thing and find her an amp and speakers from a junk shop. Having a 64 and failing to rock out to it is a crime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Pe60D5v3o

I have an amp and speakers that are not doing much at the moment. Given that there is no separate audio out on the back what is the process for connecting it up?

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:08 am

Oh but there is! From the manual:

The attachment book.jpg is no longer available

All my 64s have a centre pin on the socket too but none of that has ever mattered for me.

book.jpg

book 2.jpg

Let me sling you a copy of the book: http://www.commodore.ca/manuals/c64_use ... _guide.htm

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:22 am

Thanks for the info and link! I have just ordered a manual from eBay so should have a copy next week at some point.

Also - nice looking stereo!
Last edited by Lardo Boffin on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:23 am

This is what you're after, I think. I have these to run the signals off.

scarty2.jpg

The picture's huge but I can't downsize without the thumbnail vanishing.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 am

Lardo Boffin wrote:Also - nice looking stereo!

Look very closely and you'll see it's an autochanger.

There were stacks of those in the village jumble sales when I was a boy. At something like 50p or £1 each, I'd just come home with fresh ones when the stylus broke or I just liked the look of one. Few had cassette decks though.

One of the music centres had a huge radio dial which lit my room in the dark. No way was I not having that.

danielj

Postby danielj » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:02 pm

Commie_User wrote:
Look very closely and you'll see it's an autochanger.

There were stacks of those in the village jumble sales when I was a boy. At something like 50p or £1 each, I'd just come home with fresh ones when the stylus broke or I just liked the look of one. Few had cassette decks though.

One of the music centres had a huge radio dial which lit my room in the dark. No way was I not having that.

That is a thing of beauty!

d.

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:35 pm

SD2IEC fitted (internally) so I now have access to a gazillion games! Sweet.

Sorry, I mean my wife now has access to a gazillion games!

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:53 pm

Fantastic.

You could also buy an Atari Trackball, if one's on Ebay, as it loosens some games which are just so stiff with the joystick, like Spitting Image.

Return to “off-topic”