Virgin Hub 3.0

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
jgharston

Virgin Hub 3.0

Postby jgharston » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Anybody else have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0?

My wired internet connection has been crap for days, I'm currently sat here watching two browser tabs hourglassing waiting for pages to load, one tab on guardian.co.uk, the other on - HA!!! - community.virginmedia.com

I tried to watch Count Arthur Strong yesterday as I'd missed it, and getting on for every two minutes it stopped and hourglassed, until I ended up giving up and killing it. I've just now done a few tests attempting to watch random shorts on YouTube and it's the same, as is just trying to display my Facebook home page. It took until Thursday to even get into my email.

Never had this with the Hub 2.0 which they forced me to replace by RPC'ing them all nationwide and turning them off. Plus the 2.0 box fitted neatly into the cupboard letting me screw it to the wall and clip all the cables tidily in place.

Things like WhatsMyInternetSpeed and netping report nice high speeds and no latency or connectivity problems, but actual real usage just dives headfirst into treacle.

Grrr!

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Pernod

Re: Virgin Hub 3.0

Postby Pernod » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Have you tried from a different device? I've had similar symptoms in the past (not with Virgin) and found it was either my network adaptor or cable at fault. I could still download at fast speeds but what I got was garbage, corrupt files.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

dp11

Postby dp11 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:16 pm

First thing to do when you have bandwidth is setup a ping monitor from thinkbroadband.com

Next is to go to your router status page (don't login) and check your power levels.

Rebooting it often helps. Superhub 3 is known to be worse than 2. There is a firmware upgrade coming out soon which fixes at least one known issue.

JonC

Postby JonC » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Don't use VM's DNS servers, they're useless.
Jon

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:21 am

I had issues till I realised the coax was loose. Tightened up the retaining nut and all was well again.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

Return to “off-topic”