Elite Dangerous

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Pablos544

Re: Elite Dangerous

Postby Pablos544 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:59 am

vanpeebles wrote:Well I'm moving from the xbox one and back to the PC one where I started with the beta. I'm not impressed by how the PC version runs, something not quite right in my setup. Seems prone to a loading stutter which settles down after a minute or so.

I forgot that I got access to the rare Cobra IV, so I'm giving that a test out.

I'm seriously thinking about it. :shock: It's tempting. I've got an old laptop a bit like Paul's not new but a bit better than my PC box. Steam is really quite nice. It's nice to see Microsoft have found an answer to Apple's App Store. This comment about the stuttering doesn't sound that nice though :roll:

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:38 pm

I think that is more due to the new unproven parts in my PC rather than the game :)

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Pablos544

Postby Pablos544 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:40 pm

those pictures look amazing vanpeebles. I assume they are from your PC? What bits did you order that ain't running right? I was so tempted by this thread that I went ahead and ordered 8GIG PC1866 RAM to replace the 4GIG PC1600 RAM in my Asus 2012's laptop from Crucial :roll: sigh I can't keep my fingers away well at least I'll know now what type of game Elite Dangerous is :? -Pab

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Vega 64 gfx card and a 1950X Threadripper. The horse power is there but not the drivers yet I think :lol:

Yep those are captures from the PC.

paulv

Postby paulv » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Pablos544 wrote:those pictures look amazing vanpeebles. I assume they are from your PC?

My laptop has an NVidia GeForce GTX 870M 6GB edition so by today's standards its nowhere near what you'd call a fast card but I can run Elite with most things set on high or Ultra settings and still have a framerate that exceeds 70fps... On the surface of planets though that drops to around 35fps :-o even then, the game is quite playable. The latest 10 series GFX cards are quite capable of running in Ultra without breaking a sweat.

That being said, event with my what is now lowly 870M, you can still get some awesome screenshots.

Over the last month or so I toddled off exploring the galaxy and took a less travelled path to the centre of the galaxy then swung around and headed to Colonia, the first major human inhabited part of the galaxy outside of "the bubble" of the main human inhabited area of the galaxy. One thing about Elite Dangerous that you cannot deny is that it looks beautiful.

I know a lot of people leave the game for months on end because of "the grind" but I still find pleasure in the really small things... Using a tobii eye/headtracker, one of my favourite things to do is simply fuel scoop the local star then turn my head to watch it out of the left or right window as I leave orbit. The sense of immersion in the game even with simple eye/head tracking is quite incredible.

Screenshot_0032.jpg

Screenshot_0078.jpg

Screenshot_0141.jpg

Screenshot_0191.jpg

Screenshot_0209.jpg

Screenshot_0229.jpg

Screenshot_0234.jpg

Return to “off-topic”