Dragonsoft Explorer

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

lurkio

Re: Dragonsoft Explorer

Postby lurkio » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:30 pm

CMcDougall wrote:^if in emulator, need to load Play disc in drive 0 & Save disc in Dr1 ... also unprotect both discs...... 8)

Yep, I did all of that. The game does still load and run, but I was just thrown a bit by that error, which I get every time.

:?:

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:56 pm

^ works for 131 other peeps ....

try reading this bit again:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=598#p27153

was using beeb only (NOT stupid M128 etc) & FDC1770 DFS2.26 and also the ROM image loaded in.... 8)

EDIT.. below with it done:

EDIT2: also per my instructions, the rom image has to be write protected , or the command *CROM will not work, hence the 'not found' when it looks on the disc for it...
Attachments
DragonSoftExplorer.zip
SSDs 40T
(84.18 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
ImageImageImage

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm

CMcDougall wrote:try reading this bit again: http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=598#p27153 was using beeb only (NOT stupid M128 etc) & FDC1770 DFS2.26 and also the ROM image loaded in.... 8) EDIT.. below with it done: ... EDIT2: also per my instructions, the rom image has to be write protected , or the command *CROM will not work, hence the 'not found' when it looks on the disc for it...

Thanks. I've now got the game loading and running in BeebEm in Model B mode with 8271 FDC and DFS 1.20 with the ROM-image pre-loaded via the config settings, with the ROM slot write-protected. The game seems to run even if both disc-drives are write-protected too.

If I unprotect the ROM-slot that the Dragonsoft Explorer ROM is in in BeebEm, then the game fails to run (i.e. you can't get past the menu screen): this could be a form of copy-protection, and it might also be the reason why the game won't run in the latest version of JSBeeb at all -- because I don't think you can have a write-protected Sideways ROM slot in JSBeeb:

:?:

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:24 pm

the write protection off on save disc will allow high score saving, if beeb turned off at wrong time save gets corrupt, hence the reset is needed to get game working again, prob why MIA as folk thought discs are popped, like I thought before finding the reset file :D
ImageImageImage

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:38 am

Maybe one of our gurus could look at the game and remove the protection that is checking the ROM and preventing the game from running from non write-protected SWR.
I think Beebem breakpoints are used, but I have no idea how to use them!!
A self contained DSD of this game that loads and runs easily with a shift-break would be great [-o<

Lee.

Return to “software: classic games”