Acornsoft Game Authors

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

CMcDougall

Re: Acornsoft Game Authors

Postby CMcDougall » Thu May 04, 2017 8:19 pm

leenew wrote:Does anyones have an original "Arcade Action" .

yes, but put it up loft the other day.. before scanning :roll:
will check it out .... someday 8)
nothing in Index file..
Attachments
aaTape.png
ImageImageImage

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 pm

leenew wrote:Hi,
Also, Jeremy Grayson had Andy Green as authoring Missile Base "from memory" so that would be good to be confirmed as well.

It was definitely him, 100%. "If memory serves" above was solely due to me not having the game box in front of me when posting that post on the sly at the Day Job :-)

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Thu May 04, 2017 8:42 pm

leenew wrote:Does anyones have an original "Arcade Action" or "Draughts and Reversi" that mentions the authors on the packaging?

I have just checked the box for Arcade Action, and unfortunately no authors are listed anywhere.

I'm not entirely sure why not, considering the Acornsoft prevailing practice for naming authors usually extended to compilations, even those they wrote or developed for other labels (q.v. Games of Strategy, a BBC Soft release but with Acornsoft authors employed and Acornsoft mentioned explicitly on in the documentation).

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu May 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Jeremy Grayson wrote:
leenew wrote:Does anyones have an original "Arcade Action" or "Draughts and Reversi" that mentions the authors on the packaging?

I have just checked the box for Arcade Action, and unfortunately no authors are listed anywhere. I'm not entirely sure why not, considering the Acornsoft prevailing practice for naming authors usually extended to compilations, even those they wrote or developed for other labels (q.v. Games of Strategy, a BBC Soft release but with Acornsoft authors employed and Acornsoft mentioned explicitly on in the documentation).

Btw, Jeremy, do you happen to know anything about GOAL -- the Graphic Oriented Arcade Language -- supposedly created by Neil Raine of Acornsoft, author of several arcade games for the Beeb?:

:?:

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Thu May 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Nope, not a sausage beyond that very Lazerbug article you've linked to, I'm afraid!

gc

leenew

Postby leenew » Fri May 05, 2017 8:02 am

Everygamegoing and Acornelectron.co.uk both have Acornsoft "Draughts & Reversi" by Nick Reeves :-k

Lee.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri May 05, 2017 9:33 am

I've just played Invaders and Breakout on Arcade Action and, for BASIC games, they're absolutely brilliant !
Snake and Dodgems are just so so.
But why were the keys for Snake z,x,:,/ ? Was this a last minute attempt to make an easy game more difficult?

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat May 06, 2017 12:59 am

leenew wrote:Also, Jeremy Grayson had Andy Green as authoring Missile Base "from memory" so that would be good to be confirmed as well.
Got the box right here - Author: Andy Green. Want a pic?

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat May 06, 2017 1:01 am

leenew wrote:Everygamegoing and Acornelectron.co.uk both have Acornsoft "Draughts & Reversi" by Nick Reeves :-k
Oh, got another box right here - and Author: Nick Reeves.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat May 06, 2017 1:07 am

Jeremy Grayson wrote:I have just checked the box for Arcade Action, and unfortunately no authors are listed anywhere.
Last box here moment, and ditto - no authors on this one.

EDIT: tried the *nix "strings" command (it dumps out anything that seems to be a human-readable string in a file) on the SSD but nothing useful in the great author hunt.

leenew

Postby leenew » Sat May 06, 2017 8:55 am

Thank you Richard :D
I shall change the author on Draughts & Reversi.
I have updated the list of authors, which now means that we have them all aprt from the pesky unknown Arcade Action authors.
Good work =D>

Lee.

Return to “software: classic games”