Repton levels?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

Jeremy Grayson

Re: Repton levels?

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:40 pm

AJW wrote:Did submit Rollerball anywhere Jeremy?

Crikey, no - I think I was a bit too precious about relinquishing it to anyone until I was entirely happy with it back then. Mind, that was 16 years ago, and the 18 year-old male brain is never the most stable and rational of things. I'm an absolute pussycat nowadays. 8)

Let's see if I can find the disks first when I look in a short while, and see if I've anything I can offer y'all to touch up for me (so to speak). I work pretty much seven-day weeks between October and June, but nevertheless it would be nice if I'm able to find the time to produce some sort of RI-derived fare (be that Rollberball or something entirely new) in time to be played at the March event.

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

AJW

Postby AJW » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:12 pm

look forward to it Jeremy.

Couple more screenshots, Nectar and some detail on the compatibility of the Electron Repton Infinity levels:

http://aw.drobe.co.uk/REPTON/

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:25 pm

I bought a ton of Beeb stuff from a guy in Lancashire about 6-7 years ago, and amongst the discs were a set of Repton 3 levels (which I'm sure he said he'd created himself).

Anyway, here they are:
ReptonLevels-TheAlien.zip
(87.28 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

There seems to be a mixture of level types e.g. original gfx/new levels, new gfx/original levels and new gfx/new levels.

I haven't played through any of them, and by the looks of it some of the levels are very simplistic (they may all be like this) but some of the new graphics aren't bad.

I've attached pics of the best ones below (though I haven't included a screengrab of the 'RUDE' levelset for obvious reasons!).
Attachments
repton-xmas.png
(15.82 KiB) Downloaded 2505 times
repton-war.png
(21.44 KiB) Downloaded 2507 times
repton-thcats.png
(10.18 KiB) Downloaded 2505 times
repton-moon.png
(12.04 KiB) Downloaded 2505 times
repton-footers.png
(16.74 KiB) Downloaded 2508 times
repton-dollar.png
(10.8 KiB) Downloaded 2511 times
repton-danger.png
(11.08 KiB) Downloaded 2498 times

AJW

Postby AJW » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:30 pm

Thanks Dave. For some reason these aren't working - I keep getting Out of Time and a flashing screen as if they were Electorn levels (although they look the right size for BBC levels).

Kecske Bak

Postby Kecske Bak » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:07 am

They all worked fine for me.

And the RUDE set certainly lived up to what it said on the tin... :lol:

AJW

Postby AJW » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:56 am

Ah, it's the issue 6502em has with DSDs. There's a lot of levels to be getting through here although most of them look good. Do you know if they were written 6 or 7 years ago or longer?

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:57 am

I suspect they were written in the late 80s ...

DaveJ: yeah, the Rude levels are pretty warped aren't they! :lol:

AJW

Postby AJW » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:41 pm

Levels are up (look for Thundercats screenshot) and split into two discs. I've no way of telling if the SSDs are 40T or 80T although being 165K each presumably are 80T?

Footie

Postby Footie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:15 am

AJW wrote:Levels are up (look for Thundercats screenshot) and split into two discs. I've no way of telling if the SSDs are 40T or 80T although being 165K each presumably are 80T?

Yes, they are 80T images (&320 at location &106) although the unused part has been removed.
The title on your website says ADFS::HardDisc4.$ etc. You might like to change this.
I still cannot download good zip files from the site so I've made a SSD for my screens. Can you put it on your site instead?
MScreen.zip
Repton 3 Levels - MScreen
(17.01 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

AJW

Postby AJW » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Footie - I've downloaded your screens in Windows and RISC OS and they're both okay.

On top of that there's an SSD which I included because you were saying you couldn't open the ZIP. Are you sure the problem isn't at your end?

Footie

Postby Footie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:21 pm

AJW wrote:Footie - I've downloaded your screens in Windows and RISC OS and they're both okay.

I still can't download them as proper zip files regardless of what I use. I've used different ISPs, OS's and browsers and they all give the same result. MFoot.zip comes down as 24,002 bytes and the same file that is on my site is 25,051 bytes. I don't know where the issue is but I've not had any problems downloading zip files from any other site. Strange.

AJW wrote:On top of that there's an SSD which I included because you were saying you couldn't open the ZIP. Are you sure the problem isn't at your end?

Ah yes. I didn't see that on there. That downloads fine for me. Ignore the attachment in my last message.

I've now added AMX mouse emulation to BeebIt. If you'd like to try it out I can send you a test version to play with.

Cheers,

Mike.

AJW

Postby AJW » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:02 pm

That's great news. Yes I could definitely test it. Do you have any recent email from me? If not I'll PM my email address.

About the ZIP - it's uploaded as a &A91 ZIP file but SparkFS will download it as a &DDC file unless the Mimemap of your computer is changed apparently.. The uploaded A91 and downloaded DDC here is 25041 bytes. They contain the 5 x 10K level sets, the password text at 411 bytes and inf files at 23 bytes.

Footie

Postby Footie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:19 am

AJW wrote:That's great news. Yes I could definitely test it. Do you have any recent email from me? If not I'll PM my email address.

OK. Better send me your email address again.

AJW wrote:About the ZIP - it's uploaded as a &A91 ZIP file but SparkFS will download it as a &DDC file unless the Mimemap of your computer is changed apparently.. The uploaded A91 and downloaded DDC here is 25041 bytes. They contain the 5 x 10K level sets, the password text at 411 bytes and inf files at 23 bytes.

Just tried some more things and found that anything I download from a site hanging off drobe.co.uk gets corrupted, including your Dominion. I don't know if it's just me or if it's a problem for others outside of the UK. Could you ask Chris or whoever looks after Drobe servers about it please? I remember downloading Dominion when you first released it OK.

The RISC OS filetype is really irrelevent when downloading. The data in the file I am getting is just random bytes by the looks of it. I can't see anything identifying files in it.

Cheers,

Mike.

AJW

Postby AJW » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:02 pm

Mike

Not sure what Chris will do as he's effectively stopped Drobe although I'll ask. I'm hoping he'll keep the server although if Drobe's not continuing the website'll have to be moved elsewhere.

AJW

Postby AJW » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:59 pm

Just received some further information on the levels DaveM sent me including date and possible author so will include that ASAP.

Another thing the person suggested was converting PC Repton levels to BBC format. Has anybody had any success interpreting the file structure?

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:50 pm

Hmm ... I'm not sure if a util for converting levels between PC Repton 3 and BBC/Electron Repton 3 is such a good idea.

Even if a tool was written with the intention of converting home-made levels, couldn't it also be used to convert levels that are exclusive to the Superior Interactive offerings (e.g. Repton 3, Repton Spectacular and the upcoming Repton Extravaganza).

If such levels ever ended up being distributed on the web (even in BBC format) I don't think Superior would be particularly pleased!

AJW

Postby AJW » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:48 pm

Of course but there are user defined PC levels:

http://www.chessbase.com/puzzle/christm ... r03-8a.htm

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:09 pm

I know! ;)

stairwaytohell wrote:Even if a tool was written with the intention of converting home-made levels ...

AJW

Postby AJW » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:31 pm

Well it's not the game just the level. So couldn't somebody just snapshot the map of a level and then redraw it in a Repton 3 editor? Of course the new graphics wouldn't be ported but the designs might be interesting.

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:26 pm

stairwaytohell wrote:Hmm ... I'm not sure if a util for converting levels between PC Repton 3 and BBC/Electron Repton 3 is such a good idea.

Even if a tool was written with the intention of converting home-made levels, couldn't it also be used to convert levels that are exclusive to the Superior Interactive offerings (e.g. Repton 3, Repton Spectacular and the upcoming Repton Extravaganza).

Of course, I'm sure you also wouldn't dream of owning a tape duplicator or three either given those could also be used for duplicating copyrighted material. :)

That's the usual argument trotted out by the BPI and BSA. Despite Sony's attempt to outlaw such devices they were slapped down in court and years later, Home Taping Has Not Killed Music. ;)

I wouldn't advocate hosting the PC exclusive levels online for free, but I don't think Superior has much to fear from someone hosting a tool that would allow people to convert the levels from a format they've legitimately purchased, to a retro platform. If they did want to protect their IP to that extent, then I'm afraid their first target should probably be this site's already copious archive of software ...

Sam.

AJW

Postby AJW » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:08 pm

Ok there's a bit of information about the "mystery author" levels plus a new link for those interested. Usual place: aw.drobe.co.uk/REPTON/

JonathanM

Postby JonathanM » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:15 pm

AJW wrote:Well it's not the game just the level. So couldn't somebody just snapshot the map of a level and then redraw it in a Repton 3 editor? Of course the new graphics wouldn't be ported but the designs might be interesting.

Funny you should say that... I was considering the possibility of doing exactly that for the Repton 1 levels, starting from the screen shots that are here. Either completely manually, or by automating the process somehow. (First extract one of each sprite from the screenshot by hand. Then split the screenshot up into cells, then correlate the contents of each cell with each of the possible sprites - possibly a simple black/colour bitmap match should be enough.)

Could do that for Repton 2 as well, although without the puzzle pieces or meteors.

(Just that I'd like to be able to play R1 and/or R2 again...)

AJH

Postby AJH » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:53 pm

Funny you should say that...
I was considering the possibility of doing exactly that for the Repton 1 levels, starting from the screen shots that are here...
Could do that for Repton 2 as well, although without the puzzle pieces or meteors.
One problem is that the levels are different sizes in Repton1,2 and 3 so you would have to rejig them somewhat to fit in. Also there are 12 levels in Repton1 not 8. Repton2 is completely different. There are 16 levels technically (although some have self contained segments that are independant of each other) and some rely on you moving onto the surface (and therefore out of the map!)
Having said all that it would be interesting to see if it could be done.
As a starter I have just posted this: Repton 1 & 2 graphics for Repton3 which might be usefull...

AJW

Postby AJW » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:26 pm

That's interesting.

AJH

Postby AJH » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Funny you should say that...
I was considering the possibility of doing exactly that for the Repton 1 levels, starting from the screen shots that are here...
Repton1 = 12 levels of 32x32
Repton2 = 16 levels of 32x32 (with surface=32x33)
Repton3 = _8 levels of 28x24

If anyone feels inclined I can supply these:

Code: Select all

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WYZZZT       XZY^^^^_T   YZYZZ^Z_W
WYYZX         TYZZZYT    TTTTYZZYW
WYZT    TTTT   TTT T    TTT^TT TTW
W_T    TY^^YT   TTT    TTT _TT T_W
WT   kTYZ^^ZYT       TTT_T _T^ YZW
W    TYZY^^ZZYT    TTT___T__TY ZZW
W   TZZYY^^ZZZYT   T_____T _ _^YTW
W  TYZZZY^^ZYZYZT  T_____TTTT ^_ZW
W  TZZYZY^^ZZYZZT  T_____T   ^ZZYW
W  TXXXXXXXXXXXXT  TX____T  _T T_W
W  T_          _T   X____T _ T TTW
W   T_        _T   TX____T   T T_W
W    T_  __  _T    T_____T__ T_TYW
WTYYYYT_    _T    XT_____TTTZTTTYW
W_T    T_  _T    TYT___TTTT_YT_TZW
WZZT    TT T    TZYT_TTT__TTYTYTZW
WZZZT    T T   TYZTTTT__^^^TYZYTZW
WZZYZX        T_YTTT_TTY^^^TTZTTYW
WTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTYT^YTTZYZZTZZYYW
W\              _TYZYY_TTYZZTTZYWW
W   [[[ [ [ [[[  TYT TTTTTZZYYZW^W
W    [  [ [ [    T_T TYZYZ_ZTYW^^W
W    [  [[[ [[   TYT_TY_ZZYYTZZW^W
W    [  [ [ [    TYTTTZYYZWYTZZZWW
W    [  [ [ [[[  TYYZZYZYWWZTTTYZW
W        _       TYZ_YZZWWZYT_T^YW
W [[[[ [  [ [[[  TYZZZ_WWYZZT  ^ZW
W [    [[ [ [  [ TYZZZZWWYZ_TZZ^ZW
W [[[  [[[[ [  [ TY_ZZWWWZZYTT_ZYW
W [    [ [[ [  [ TZZYWWWWWZZYTZZYW
W [[[[ [  [ [[[  TZZYWWWWWZZYTYZZW
W_               ^YZWWWWWWWZY^ZZZW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

JonathanM

Postby JonathanM » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:12 pm

AJH wrote:One problem is that the levels are different sizes in Repton1,2 and 3 so you would have to rejig them somewhat to fit in. Also there are 12 levels in Repton1 not 8. Repton2 is completely different. There are 16 levels technically (although some have self contained segments that are independant of each other) and some rely on you moving onto the surface (and therefore out of the map!)
Having said all that it would be interesting to see if it could be done.

Should have mentioned that I'm not even sure if it could be done in BBC R3, for precisely those reasons, although if you can run BBC R3 then of course you can just run R1 or R2 directly. My interest was a conversion for KRepton, which can handle any number of levels and any size level within an epsiode.

I've already tried a very quick hack at a semi-automated conversion, using some Perl scripts to split up a screen shot and reassemble it into a playable level with a manual step to identify the objects corresponding to each unique graphic. Seems to work, with some limitations (there are some additional "wall" and "earth" sprites in R1 compared with R3). But I do now have some playable R1 levels.

No reason why this can't work for R2 screenshots as well. So now all I need to do is implement R2-style transporters (which will lead to a location in another map), and think about how to do the planet surface and meteors (not essential at first). Wait and see...

AJW

Postby AJW » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:20 pm

Just updated the webpage to include a link to this:

http://www.hollypops.co.uk/repton.html

An almost complete set of passwords to every Repton ever - surely invaluable for any player!

P.S. Any news on converting the PC level designs to BBC format?

The Kraken

Postby The Kraken » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:19 am

Can you explain how to load these levels in an emulator?

AJW

Postby AJW » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Either myself or somebody else here certainly could. But you need to specify:

1. What emulator
2. What images

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:29 pm

to loan screens, in main game menu, press L

then put in file name, ie $.scnTwo

if files are on drive2, then its :2.$.scnTwo